FedEx Express Internal Courier/Driver Hires

fedx

Extra Large Package
That’s what the people running this ship need to understand. The job is good. The pay is what’s killing FedEx. Start topping people out and this instantly becomes competitive with UPS. We’ll never get the amazing pay or benefits of UPS. But having decent pay and a life outside of work is worth it. Without the decent pay, it’s not worth it. I think we’re screwed... they could raise handler pay $4/hr and still be bottom of the barrel in terms of warehouse work.

In my area, there are always handler, courier, and a RTD job openings. They can't get anyone to apply because of the low pay. Now you have Chipotle paying $15/hr and McDonalds is getting close to that too with their announcement. So would you want to break your back handling boxes for less than $15 or work in an air conditioned building for $15? Couriers come and go too. Couriers are like a revolving door because it's now just a job and not a career. Truck drivers won't even consider working for FedEx with sub $20/hr starting pay when every other trucking competitor starts out at $22/hr and tops out in 3 years at $28. If you told an outside truck driver that you'll be at $20/hr five years after they start and they still have 18 years to go before reaching $28, they would run from FedEx-and rightfully so.

If FedEx wants to turn their ship around (and I really doubt they do) they need to step up and pay people competitively. Their problem is they are mentally stuck in 1992 when they were competitive in pay. You ask someone in upper management about pay and they are so disconnected from reality that they will say "we are very competitive". They used to be a pay leader, but now they are a joke. When you have fast food restaurants paying more than "elite" FedEx, you know they are on a path to bankruptcy. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen. No workforce means no deliveries which means no revenue.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
In my area, there are always handler, courier, and a RTD job openings. They can't get anyone to apply because of the low pay. Now you have Chipotle paying $15/hr and McDonalds is getting close to that too with their announcement. So would you want to break your back handling boxes for less than $15 or work in an air conditioned building for $15? Couriers come and go too. Couriers are like a revolving door because it's now just a job and not a career. Truck drivers won't even consider working for FedEx with sub $20/hr starting pay when every other trucking competitor starts out at $22/hr and tops out in 3 years at $28. If you told an outside truck driver that you'll be at $20/hr five years after they start and they still have 18 years to go before reaching $28, they would run from FedEx-and rightfully so.

If FedEx wants to turn their ship around (and I really doubt they do) they need to step up and pay people competitively. Their problem is they are mentally stuck in 1992 when they were competitive in pay. You ask someone in upper management about pay and they are so disconnected from reality that they will say "we are very competitive". They used to be a pay leader, but now they are a joke. When you have fast food restaurants paying more than "elite" FedEx, you know they are on a path to bankruptcy. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen. No workforce means no deliveries which means no revenue.
Why do you think FedEx is heavily investing in robotics? Robots don’t ask for raises or benefits.

falcon back

I think FedEx will crash and burn before robots ever get behind the wheel.
I bet whatever idiot hired you regretted doing so the rest of the time you worked there. Hatred and negativity spews from you 24/7. It must suck being you. Just because your retirement didn't go as planned, you are miserable and can't seem to enjoy what should be the best days of your life.

Working4the1%

I bet whatever idiot hired you regretted doing so the rest of the time you worked there. Hatred and negativity spews from you 24/7. It must suck being you. Just because your retirement didn't go as planned, you are miserable and can't seem to enjoy what should be the best days of your life.
Are u looking in the mirror again....

fedx

Extra Large Package
Why do you think FedEx is heavily investing in robotics? Robots don’t ask for raises or benefits.

Sure I know FedEx, Amazon, Mcdonalds and other big corporations want to use robots to replace humans. Eventually nobody will be working to buy the products that the robots make. I know they talk about a minimum monthly wage, but that will have to be paid by the corporations to the unemployed, so they won't be gaining anything from hiring robots.

Also, robots can't drive courier vans or semis at this point. I'm sure they're working on it, but I think it will be at least 20 years away before having robots that can drive and deliver packages. I know they were really pushing driverless semis about 4 years ago, but they seemed to have backed off that idea for now.

Aquaman

The company wants to have service nobody can compete with... with employee pay that doesn’t compete. They’ll learn the hard way. This is a reactionary company. It’ll take years of hiring issues before they do anything. And then it’ll be too late to lure anyone back.

fedx

Extra Large Package
The company wants to have service nobody can compete with... with employee pay that doesn’t compete. They’ll learn the hard way. This is a reactionary company. It’ll take years of hiring issues before they do anything. And then it’ll be too late to lure anyone back.

I know when I first started, all the long term employees kept telling me this isn't the same company it was 20 years ago. At first I didn't know what they were talking about, but now I do. They are reactionary and not revolutionary. They were revolutionary in 1973 and were a great company up till about, what, 1994 or so. I feel bad for the guys that got hired in 1995 and thought they would be topped out in 3 yrs like everyone before them and then they were put on the 20 yr top out plan.....got topped out in 2015. It's really disgusting that the company thinks it's okay to top people out in a 20 yr time frame......all because Express can't unionize.

vantexan

I know when I first started, all the long term employees kept telling me this isn't the same company it was 20 years ago. At first I didn't know what they were talking about, but now I do. They are reactionary and not revolutionary. They were revolutionary in 1973 and were a great company up till about, what, 1994 or so. I feel bad for the guys that got hired in 1995 and thought they would be topped out in 3 yrs like everyone before them and then they were put on the 20 yr top out plan.....got topped out in 2015. It's really disgusting that the company thinks it's okay to top people out in a 20 yr time frame......all because Express can't unionize.
Actually FedEx gave decent raises until about 2003 if I remember right. Then they started playing all kinds of games. Check that, they gave no raises after 1993 until 1997 then gave a paltry raise. That's when I quit, not knowing they would come up with some decent raises and adjustments for top out. I got rehired in late '98 and the raises were based on reviews but typically they gave topped out people great reviews but no raises while trying to lowball midrange employees. But could still get a 6% raise or better. Then about 2003 they cut raises in half. Then it got worse from there, giving us eventually 2% raises. Topped out eventually got 3% raises. I remember at about 11 or 12 years since rehired getting a 32 cent raise while top out got close to 70¢. So they started pulling away from us. Now cue Falcon Fart rambling about how dare I say what actually happened!

Stat41

Yep. And by the time the employees do top out its with dollars that have been inflated over 20 years. So in reality you finish financially not that far ahead of where you started. As an example, $14.00 in 1994 is equivalent to $25.23 in todays dollars. When companies give raises over a long period of time with inflated dollars, it gives the appearance of benevolence but without the true cost to them or the true benefit to us. Hope that made sense.

Last edited:

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
It's really disgusting that the company thinks it's okay to top people out in a 20 yr time frame......all because Express can't unionize.
Just goes to show you what bastards Smith and his buddies are and should never be trusted.

Real sad that some employees still think of him as some kind of hero.

Last edited:

falcon back

Just goes to show you what bastards Smith and his buddies are and should never be trusted.

Real sad that some employees still think of him as some kind of hero.
He resides in your head on a daily basis. I bet you stay awake at night thinking about how much you hated your job.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Yep. And by the time the employees do top out its with dollars that have been inflated over 20 years. So in reality you finish financially not that far ahead of where you started. As an example, $14.00 in 1994 is equivalent to $25.23 in todays dollars. When companies give raises over a long period of time with inflated dollars, it gives the appearance of benevolence but without the true cost to them or the true benefit to us. Hope that made sense.
If you start with a good paying job that stays slightly ahead of inflation, don’t you end up with a good job? In the interim, you’ve gained additional PTO, seniority for positions/routes, some semblance of a pension, and if you’re smart, a healthy 401K.

Not defending FedEx by any means, but if you wanted more than that, you should have taken the initiative (and risk) to form your own business.

And if you think I’m another FalconFart, it took me nearly 20 years to top out, but by the grace of God and being conservative with my finances, I’m comfortable in retirement.

Check the mirror when you’re passing out the blame.

Stat41

If you start with a good paying job that stays slightly ahead of inflation, don’t you end up with a good job? In the interim, you’ve gained additional PTO, seniority for positions/routes, some semblance of a pension, and if you’re smart, a healthy 401K.

Not defending FedEx by any means, but if you wanted more than that, you should have taken the initiative (and risk) to form your own business.

And if you think I’m another FalconFart, it took me nearly 20 years to top out, but by the grace of God and being conservative with my finances, I’m comfortable in retirement.

You are reading things into my post that were not there. As best as I could I was stating facts. I think in the end you and I are really on the same page though. I too have been conservative in my life but have a couple more years to go until retirement. My homes paid for and I am debt-free with money in pension and a decent 401k. Like you my rear view is looking pretty good. Looking forward to the day I can kick back with my beautiful wife. Ive been blessed. Have a good day sir and I hope to join you in retirement soon! (And you are not at all like Falcon)

Last edited:

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
You are reading things into my post that were not there. As best as I could I was stating facts. I think in the end you and I are really on the same page though. I too have been conservative in my life but have a couple more years to go until retirement. My homes paid for and I am debt-free with money in pension and a decent 401k. Like you my rear view is looking pretty good. Looking forward to the day I can kick back with my beautiful wife. Ive been blessed. Have a good day sir and I hope to join you in retirement soon! (And you are not at all like Falcon)
Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

I’m so used to reading complaints on here (myself included) I jumped to a wrong conclusion.

Hang in there until the magical day comes, and never look back!

falcon back

Someone else with some common sense. There is no reason most can't save something. Small sacrifices each week while working will make retirement the great life it's supposed to be. Too many blow their checks when working and when it's time to retire, they realize they are not financially able to.