FedEx Express NON-DOT Courier

Oldfart

Graduate

Get a job

Get married

Buy a house/have a kid

Work 25 years retire

Sounds like a boomer to me
You can't retire after 25 years very many places except for a government job. You want to hear some whiners, talk to a government employee and listen to him complain having the best benefits and still complain.

Purplepackage

You can't retire after 25 years very many places except for a government job. You want to hear some whiners, talk to a government employee and listen to him complain having the best benefits and still complain.

Everyone whines about their job, it's just something people do. Always something to complain about

dezguy

In the same vein as oldfarts first post; Don't step in the bull:censored2:. There are a lot of people at FedEx who will tell you how amazing a place this is to work. FedEx is no different from any other company. The days of FedEx being a people company are long gone.

If you get the position, punch in, do your work and punch out. Don't get sucked into the unnecessary politics that seems to exist at every station. This is a job, no more.

bacha29

Hate filled? No that's realistic. Sorry but the days of starting this job at 22 and staying for 30 years are long gone.

And quite frankly the days of starting ANY job at 21 and staying for 30 years are long gone. That's something people no longer do or even want
Ever more so companies don't want you there 30 years, legacy costs will pile up. Get them in, get them out before benefit costs start adding up.

Purplepackage

Ever more so companies don't want you there 30 years, legacy costs will pile up. Get them in, get them out before benefit costs start adding up.

Very true, most of my friends and co workers have kids in there mid 20s and a lot of them don't hold jobs at all.

Stay for a year, leave for something they think is better and repeat

Oldfart

Simply not true. Dependable people with the skills of a long term employee are a commodity. Training cost get expensive and then you HOPE the employee you paid to train works out and sticks around so you can get a return on your investment. I read a lot. Read a finance book and see how keeping a 30 year employee is way cheaper than hiring 5 employees that work 6 years each.

bacha29

Simply not true. Dependable people with the skills of a long term employee are a commodity. Training cost get expensive and then you HOPE the employee you paid to train works out and sticks around so you can get a return on your investment. I read a lot. Read a finance book and see how keeping a 30 year employee is way cheaper than hiring 5 employees that work 6 years each.[/QUO As cheap as you are that so called "finance book" was probably something you picked up a yard sale (copy written 1959) for 50 cents.
Furthermore what you do is a job that is only as good as your legs. When those legs of yours won't move as quickly as they once did the cost savings you speak of won't matter in the yes of your beloved Mr. Smith and his minions .

vantexan

LOL I never mentioned coworkers as being the miserables. I mentioned this site being filled with miserables. First, I am accused of being too happy, now you accuse me of being a miserable like most of the others on here. Which is it?
I think you're miserable, and projecting onto us. So says my pal Sigmund.

vantexan

Simply not true. Dependable people with the skills of a long term employee are a commodity. Training cost get expensive and then you HOPE the employee you paid to train works out and sticks around so you can get a return on your investment. I read a lot. Read a finance book and see how keeping a 30 year employee is way cheaper than hiring 5 employees that work 6 years each.
If the company is interested in keeping people 30 years then why didn't they keep the traditional pension? Why did they for most of the last 15 years suppress pay for midrange employees? Why all the lies? Sounds like you're saying old timers are much more valuable but they didn't give us much of an incentive to become old timers. Thus the high turnover.

Oldfart

If the company is interested in keeping people 30 years then why didn't they keep the traditional pension? Why did they for most of the last 15 years suppress pay for midrange employees? Why all the lies? Sounds like you're saying old timers are much more valuable but they didn't give us much of an incentive to become old timers. Thus the high turnover.
Traditional pension maxed out after 25 years. EVERYONE with more than 30 years are much better off when they ended the traditional and began the portable. You can have a six figure lump sum waiting on you on top of the traditional. If there were no traditional, 30/35/40 year employees would be working with ZERO growth of their pension other than the growth of your 5 best years amount. The company might be smart to not keep you 30 years or more, but a stable, dependable employee is more valuable than retraining a person every few years.

vantexan

Traditional pension maxed out after 25 years. EVERYONE with more than 30 years are much better off when they ended the traditional and began the portable. You can have a six figure lump sum waiting on you on top of the traditional. If there were no traditional, 30/35/40 year employees would be working with ZERO growth of their pension other than the growth of your 5 best years amount. The company might be smart to not keep you 30 years or more, but a stable, dependable employee is more valuable than retraining a person every few years.
And since 2003 all newhires were under the portable pension. Those people only have that and the 401k. Kind of hard to fund your 401k on suppressed wages and 3% contributions on the portable pension don't amount to much after the first 10 years. In other words a whole generation of couriers had to work a long time with little to show for it. There was little incentive to stay long term. Today's newhires will have it better IF FedEx keeps it's word, but they still won't have the traditional pension you enjoy or the much better medical you enjoyed for most of your career. Now excuse me, I'm going to go skip thru a field of daisies while singing "Cause I'm Happy."

dex 84

I think he is right that having a 30 year employee is more cost effective than having 6 5 year employees. I don't think fedex necessarily sees it that way though. They should do more to get people to want to spend their career here. If the employee base was less volatile you'd have a lot less people walking around without a clue of what they're doing and you'd end up with a more efficient company.

A 30+ year full timer retires and they post 2 part time positions. The full timer was getting 9-10 hours a day, the part timers are working 5-6 each. And now there's extra work that they can't figure out what to do with. But we're saving overtime.

dezguy

I think he is right that having a 30 year employee is more cost effective than having 6 5 year employees. I don't think fedex necessarily sees it that way though. They should do more to get people to want to spend their career here. If the employee base was less volatile you'd have a lot less people walking around without a clue of what they're doing and you'd end up with a more efficient company.

A 30+ year full timer retires and they post 2 part time positions. The full timer was getting 9-10 hours a day, the part timers are working 5-6 each. And now there's extra work that they can't figure out what to do with. But we're saving overtime.
Saw the same thing here. Had a couple of PT routes going over break compliance every day by an hour and a half so they hired a new PT to cover that time. Now the new PT is the high quality of new hire that we can all expect now and they're doing the same work the two PTers were doing before in 3 hours combined and it's taking this newb 5 hours.

Seems to me, if you would have just made the two PT routes FT, they would have saved a whole lot of money.

vantexan

But someone at 30 years will be leaving soon. Why not give 5 year employees incentives to stay 30 years instead of the constant turnover? Why not say a bonus program with a decent payout when employees reach major milestones? $3k at 5 yrs, $5k at 10 years, $10k at 20 years, $15k at 30 years.

Oldfart

But someone at 30 years will be leaving soon. Why not give 5 year employees incentives to stay 30 years instead of the constant turnover? Why not say a bonus program with a decent payout when employees reach major milestones? $3k at 5 yrs, $5k at 10 years, $10k at 20 years, $15k at 30 years.
LOL 15k would be a 20 to 22% bonus. I totally agree with a retention bonus but your amounts are just unrealistic. I would love a 2k bonus at the 30 and 35 and 40 year mark. Maybe get $500 for every year on those year anniversaries. I doubt you will ever see it and I doubt the 20% amount you suggested would ever happen. I miss the days of the huge current profit sharing checks.

vantexan

LOL 15k would be a 20 to 22% bonus. I totally agree with a retention bonus but your amounts are just unrealistic. I would love a 2k bonus at the 30 and 35 and 40 year mark. Maybe get $500 for every year on those year anniversaries. I doubt you will ever see it and I doubt the 20% amount you suggested would ever happen. I miss the days of the huge current profit sharing checks.
Well of course it'll never happen, it's FedEx. If anything they're actively looking at what else they can take from us.

dex 84

Well that's how you would end up with more long term employees. By giving the 5 year employees a reason to stay more than 5 years.

Serf

Kind of hard to fund your 401k on suppressed wages and 3% contributions on the portable pension don't amount to much after the first 10 years
True, but I believe the PPA contribution is 5% under 55 annually and 6% over 55. I could be wrong, unless it changed.