FedEx Express NON-DOT Courier

Eric032990

Hi,

I'm new here and I have a few questions.

I'm going for an interview tomorrow to be a FT FedEx Express Non-Dot courier and I wanted to know how the interview is and what kind of questions they ask. Haven't done an interview in almost 4 years so I'm a little rough in that department and would like to be prepared.

My other question is whether the courier has to load their own truck/van or is the truck/van loaded and ready to go when you get there in the morning. The position I'm applying for has a schedule of Tuesday - Saturday 7:30am to 5pm

and lastly, is there some sort of training to they basically give you a day or two with a person that knows your route and then you're on your own?

Any information you can provide about this position would really help me.

Thank you.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Hi,

I'm going for an interview tomorrow to be a FT FedEx Express Non-Dot courier and I wanted to know how the interview is and what kind of questions they ask. Haven't done an interview in almost 4 years so I'm a little rough in that department and would like to be prepared.

My other question is whether the courier has to load their own truck/van or is the truck/van loaded and ready to go when you get there in the morning. The position I'm applying for has a schedule of Tuesday - Saturday 7:30am to 5pm

and lastly, is there some sort of training to they basically give you a day or two with a person that knows your route and then you're on your own?

Thank you.
I can't tell you about the interview, but depending on where you are, as long as you can pass the background check, drug test and have a decent driving record, you're in.

Whether you load your truck or not depends on if you are an early starter or not, or what your position is during the sort.

Courier class is three days. They basically train you on pickups and VERY little on deliveries. You will probably ride with another courier.

Oldfart

You can google "job interview questions" and find lots of good examples. Lots of "tell me one time you went out of your way to help a coworker" type questions if some of my coworkers interview is any indication. I believe there will be a 2 day defensive driving class before you attend courier class if you are hired.

On a side note. This place is full of miserables and hate filled people. You can expect a bunch of negative post from some miserable people. Just disregard them and make your own opinion about the job when you start. It is not a perfect place to work but there are very few PERFECT jobs out there. Just read some of the other discussions in this forum and you will quickly see the miserables are plentiful.

Last edited:

bacha29

Hi,

Thank you.
It is what it is kid but keep in mind you are anything but set for life especially when it comes to healthcare and pension benefits. Any person who unlike 'oldfart" has a real life assessment of the daily work experience will tell you that you'll be better off in a skilled trades union or a bachelor's degree in engineering, accounting , logistics or foreign languages . Lugging boxes for Fred S is the job of the last resort. Resigned to doing this for the balance of your working life ? You're a dead man walking.

Schweddy

Balls
How well do you know the area you're in Eric? I wouldn't mention location on this site, btw.

And your non-dot means you can't drive the 700's, box trucks, straight trucks, etc - depending on their weight rating. Only Sprinters and light-duty vans (mostly ford econolines). Fedex made this shift a few years ago - used to be DOT heavy. Speculation between "yearly physical" costs.. but also enables them to get around the DOT hours of service (especially during peak).

If you volunteer/ are needed during monday's, you'll make some OT.

I thought my interview process was really easy compared to the questions I found while trying to prepare. I think I found management interview questions which are more behavioral and intervention.

and.. err.. I kind of forgot you haven't even gotten the job yet. Anyway, good luck. Starting pay just went up, too.

and yeah, Bacha is right.. it consumes your everything. Saturdays tend to be easier but keep us posted.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It is what it is kid but keep in mind you are anything but set for life especially when it comes to healthcare and pension benefits. Any person who unlike 'oldfart" has a real life assessment of the daily work experience will tell you that you'll be better off in a skilled trades union or a bachelor's degree in engineering, accounting , logistics or foreign languages . Lugging boxes for Fred S is the job of the last resort. Resigned to doing this for the balance of your working life ? You're a dead man walking.
Okay, while I don't agree with oldfart's rainbows and unicorns, you are exaggerating. Dead man walking?? Job of last resort? There are better jobs, but there are definitely worse jobs.

Eric032990

Thank you guys for the tips. I've been living in this area since 2008 so I'm fairly familiar with the area. Interview is in a few hours so I'll post back on how it went.

HedleyLamarr

My interview was last fall, and it consisted of,"Tell me about a time you had to work through adversity to finish a job," and,"Tell me about a time you had no supervision but were still able to accomplish a goal of yours." There were also some questions about working under pressure and your ability to pay attention to detail. Probably 10 questions total and the entire interview lasted about half an hour. Just try to think back on any challenging situations you have been in and still managed to get your work done.

Maybe it depends station to station, but nobody where I am has a truck preloaded for them. You load your own truck, which is actually a good thing since you will know where stuff is.

Those hours posted are general hours they put on all the hiring sites. Your hours will greatly vary, depending on what type of route you end up with. Believe me, you will not be working T-S 7:30-5. No one starts out full time like that.

McFeely

Huge Member

Once you get an actual route, they generally will give you a couple of days to ride along with someone familiar with said route to get the flow of things and see the odd businesses and where their receiving doors are.

If this station already has a FT route for its new hire, great! If no route is open, be prepared to be the station flex driver and helping out any/all other routes when they're heavy on stops. It's not awful, but you may be in a different area each day until you have your own route.

Oldfart

Need I say more

vantexan

Thank you guys for the tips. I've been living in this area since 2008 so I'm fairly familiar with the area. Interview is in a few hours so I'll post back on how it went.
FedEx Express just went to a new pay system. If they keep their word it's a good time to start with FedEx. Don't let guys like oldfart throw you, the vast majority of your coworkers will be decent people and there are worse things you could be doing for less money. One of the plusses of working for FedEx is the ability to transfer so if there's a place you've always wanted to live in you can eventually get there with seniority. Good luck!

Purplepackage

Once you get an actual route, they generally will give you a couple of days to ride along with someone familiar with said route to get the flow of things and see the odd businesses and where their receiving doors are.

If this station already has a FT route for its new hire, great! If no route is open, be prepared to be the station flex driver and helping out any/all other routes when they're heavy on stops. It's not awful, but you may be in a different area each day until you have your own route.

if he is getting a full time route immediately it's most likely a route that no one in the building would take

bacha29

if he is getting a full time route immediately it's most likely a route that no one in the building would take
Right.If he gets the job he will get the most impossible route in the station which will mean that his enthusiasm will dissipate quickly While he seems prepared to take what the economy will give him the fact that 10 years from now he'll still be doing the same thing. If he only has a high school diploma combine the two with minimal coverage healthcare and a rip off annuity disguised as a pension plan it explains what I meant when I said......"dead man walking".

Purplepackage

Right.If he gets the job he will get the most impossible route in the station which will mean that his enthusiasm will dissipate quickly While he seems prepared to take what the economy will give him the fact that 10 years from now he'll still be doing the same thing. If he only has a high school diploma combine the two with minimal coverage healthcare and a rip off annuity disguised as a pension plan it explains what I meant when I said......"dead man walking".

Who says 10 years from now he will be doing the same thing? Hypothetically if he were in his early 20s working full time at express for 2-3 years you could save a decent amount of money and move on.

It's not a career anymore but it is a good way to make decent money when they are starting people at 17.50

bacha29

Who says 10 years from now he will be doing the same thing? Hypothetically if he were in his early 20s working full time at express for 2-3 years you could save a decent amount of money and move on.

It's not a career anymore but it is a good way to make decent money when they are starting people at 17.50
Are you saying it should be treated as transitional employment? The job between jobs? If so I think you're right given the number of management group employees they offered severance packages to in exchange for eliminating their position moving up through the management ranks no doubt will be harder given the reduced number of positions.

Purplepackage

Are you saying it should be treated as transitional employment? The job between jobs? If so I think you're right given the number of management group employees they offered severance packages to in exchange for eliminating their position moving up through the management ranks no doubt will be harder given the reduced number of positions.

I actually heard after they offered that serverance they had so many managers jump at the opportunity they had to re fill all those positions anyway.

But yes I'm saying if you are young enough use it until you find something better, don't devote your life to this place. Same thing I tell the 21 year old guys we hire, get out before your 25

Oldfart

FedEx Express just went to a new pay system. If they keep their word it's a good time to start with FedEx. Don't let guys like oldfart throw you, the vast majority of your coworkers will be decent people and there are worse things you could be doing for less money. One of the plusses of working for FedEx is the ability to transfer so if there's a place you've always wanted to live in you can eventually get there with seniority. Good luck!
LOL I never mentioned coworkers as being the miserables. I mentioned this site being filled with miserables. First, I am accused of being too happy, now you accuse me of being a miserable like most of the others on here. Which is it?

Oldfart

Just as I predicted. A miserable hate filled person with another post filled with negative untruths. Dang, you just keep proving me right.

Purplepackage

Just as I predicted. A miserable hate filled person with another post filled with negative untruths. Dang, you just keep proving me right.

Hate filled? No that's realistic. Sorry but the days of starting this job at 22 and staying for 30 years are long gone.

And quite frankly the days of starting ANY job at 21 and staying for 30 years are long gone. That's something people no longer do or even want