FedEx Freight City Driver vs UPS Feeder Driver

P

pickup

If you are interested in 4 pm start times shifting in the yard and you are in a big hub, you can get that sort of job easily

Some guys don't like that sort of job because of the shifting and general lack of overtime because when the guys who work this job work 8 hours , they are sent home because there ain't diddley squat happening in terms of needing drivers. If you started at 7 , then overtime, because then, at 4 am when you hit 8, there are a bunch of containers that need to be at the railyards by 5 and 6 am. Again, that applies to hubs near rail yards.

TheKid99

P1090438-779288.jpg
You can do both

UPS4Life

Wondering how are you going from FedEx straight to full time? Are you working as a ups employee somewhere else, are you signing on as a casual, or are they skipping casuals at this point and going straight to full time off the street?

Sent using BrownCafe App

UPS4Life

I'm towards the bottom of the list and I did the on call deal for about 2 years. I enjoyed it as long as there were people below me if I was getting forced on runs at the bottom it sucks. The only time you'll see "normal hours" anywhere close to 8-4 will probably be a Tuesday-Saturday with a god awful start time on Saturday. At least that's how ours are.... Or the ones id have any hope at if I wanted to work Saturday. Got forced to pick a job this last time around it's alright, nice knowing what I'm doing and when I'll be home

Sent using BrownCafe App

Nevermore1

Some guys don't like that sort of job because of the shifting and general lack of overtime because when the guys who work this job work 8 hours , they are sent home because there ain't diddley squat happening in terms of needing drivers. If you started at 7 , then overtime, because then, at 4 am when you hit 8, there are a bunch of containers that need to be at the railyards by 5 and 6 am. Again, that applies to hubs near rail yards.
My husband does shifting on his shift and there is no lack of overtime. He may get sent out on the road on Sundays if needed as well. I think it all depends on the center. As others have said - plan to work nights and not see your family much.

My husband does shifting on his shift and there is no lack of overtime. He may get sent out on the road on Sundays if needed as well. I think it all depends on the center. As others have said - plan to work nights and not see your family much.

If he works nights how can he NOT see his family more?
Better to be at home during the day when everyone's awake than home at night when everyone's asleep.

That's based on 19 years of feeder experience

Nevermore1

If he works nights how can he NOT see his family more?
Better to be at home during the day when everyone's awake than home at night when everyone's asleep.

That's based on 19 years of feeder experience
He goes in about 2 in the afternoon and gets home anytime between 1 and 3 in the morning. So he leaves before the kids get home (he sees them for about an hour in the morning) from school and gets home well after everyone else is asleep. I see him just long enough to say "hi, bye" before heading out to work in the morning. We get to see him on Fridays (after school/work, Saturdays and for a little bit on Sunday morning before he goes in. When he worked delivery he would get home 7-8pm so we saw him more then.

Nevermore1

Yes, even in the summer. He gets up just long enough to bring them to the sitters in the morning then comes home and goes back to sleep for a few hours before going to work. Sometimes he'll drop them of late at the sitters. It all depends on when he gets home the night before and how long it takes him to wind down and go to sleep.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.

This is precisely why I'll never go into feeders. I really wonder how many feeder drivers grew up as the son or daughter of truck drivers? I did. If I saw my father 3 hours a week, it was a lot - and before I knew any better, I hated him for it.

The Duke

Wondering how are you going from FedEx straight to full time? Are you working as a ups employee somewhere else, are you signing on as a casual, or are they skipping casuals at this point and going straight to full time off the street?

Sent using BrownCafe App
I'm currently a friend/T FedEx Freight employee now with an app in at a UPS location for a friend/T feeder driver position. I was a casual UPS driver during the Christmas season, but they didn't have any friend/T spots available when the Christmas season ended.

The Duke

Is shifting one of the feeder driver bids? I think the center I applied at has the shifters as an actual position not part of the feeder driver bids.

Nevermore1

At my husband's hub it is part of the feeder bids as well. Like PT Car Washer mentions it's the bottom bid job. My husband likes it because with that position he can still get home rather quickly if there is an emergency since he's not driving out somewhere 4 hours away. He was going to take a bid that would have taken him on the road but decided against it because it's start time would have taken away almost all his time with the kids.

When my daughter was born my last year of PC I never saw here awake except for weekends. I got to spend time with her every day once I jumped to feeder. At first I was on nights because that's all that was left bid wise. Now I can get anytime I want and still choose nights.
Everybody's reasoning is different but to pass on feeder strictly because of the possibility of working nights is crazy.