FedEx Home wins round in Unionization efforts

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
....i'm concentrating real hard ....pressing on my temples ....concentrating ....concentrating ....trying to brainwash you .........setting wash cycles now ...

"ok, here are the controls - fuel, altimeter, flaps, rudder, wash, rinse, spin...."

Tornup

First, tell me, then, how I was to interpret your words, quoted here;

"...The (FedEx) contract is as thick as a book too and how many codes do you think people understand in that contract? Fedex purposely makes the contract confusing. They don't want you to understand it...."

Please, educate me as to what you meant.
CANT EDUCATE A NUTSHELL.

Second - a question - do you often sign contracts that you don't understand?

Thats right you are livin in a dream and talkin out both sides of your *
you tell one person that you do not know anything about the fedex contract and then you try to give me grief by acting like you know all about it. Why don't we talk about how greedy you are dude? Isn't this what its all about. You do not want anything to change, you enjoy taking advantage of other peoples hard earned money. You want the definition of ic to be what you want it to be. Not how it really is! It will come back to haunt you one day. Don't act like a fool and try to belittle me because I don't agree with you, and act like a puppet. Everyone has a right to speak up and voice their opinion but you don't need to try and insult everyone that does not believe the way you do.
:peaceful:

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
I have not insulted you in any way, shape or form. You write something, I respond. You called me a brainwasher - I tried, it didn't work.

Two things, ok?

1. Drinking mid-day is never a good idea.

2. This horse ain't breathin anymore, buddy.

Tornup

Actually, I wish I could brainwash people. That would be cool. However, I guarantee you that I would use those powers at about a million other places before it occurred to me to use those powers on an internet forum.

Just giving my opinion where I see it. Facts as I understand them.

Oh, and here is a fact for you - ICs have only the rights given to them in a contract. Is that so hard to grasp? Those rights may be awful, unfair, poor, painful, draconian, etc., but (and it is a BIG BUT) they are laid out beforehand in a contract. Don't like it? Don't sign.

:devillangel:

Tornup

No, but it appears FedEx Ground might be.

I also believe in independent contractors. I just don't believe thats what FedEx Ground employees really are. I came to this conclusion not through propaganda, but by examining the facts. You have come to a different conclusion and thats what makes the world go round. But I don't characterize you as a sheep.

You know Amway is not legally defined by our government as a pyramid scheme. But it is.

As Bob Dylan said "you don't need a weatherman to tell you which way the wind is blowing".

Amen to that! :happy2:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Talk to a few Ground drivers and ask them how many rules and policies they must adhere to, the vast majority of which are the same as an "employee". For now, the US Court of Appeals says they are "contractors", but that may change when and if this case goes to the Supreme Court. You can thank the Republican appointees on the Appeals Court for doing Fred's bidding.

A true independent contractor makes his or her own rules and schedules in accordance with state and Federal laws. A real estate agent is a good example. Nobody tells them what their hours are and they work as much or little as they see fit, and it's up to them to police their actions.This is certainly not the case at FedEx Ground, where they are expected to perform as an employee, showing up at a scheduled time and doing a repetitive task according to strict rules, procedures, and electronic monitoring (via their version of the DIAD/PowerPad).

bbsam

Staff member
i should have been more clear. things at ground have changed, but that doesn't mean that management shouts it from the mountain top. having a fairly good knowledge of the contract and the gray areas in it, it is not uncommon for me to challenge management and say, "show it to me in the contract." if ups really or the teamsters wanted to save money they could set up a contract workshop to explain what it does and does not say. you are right though that fed ex at this time enjoys having contractors that don't know the constraints put on the company.

bbsam

Staff member
mrfedex, it appears as though you also would benefit from a contract seminar. or perhaps you could discuss express which you may understand, because ground is obviously foreign to you. or you could just begin every post you have about ground with the phrase "I really don't know what I'm talking about, but,..." by the way, do you know which brand of fedex is raking in the dough? lol

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
mrfedex, it appears as though you also would benefit from a contract seminar. or perhaps you could discuss express which you may understand, because ground is obviously foreign to you. or you could just begin every post you have about ground with the phrase "I really don't know what I'm talking about, but,..." by the way, do you know which brand of fedex is raking in the dough? lol

Yes, Ground is raking in the dough. I also know you are a satisfied "independent contractor", so you're a known commodity. I'm aware that Smith is working on sending more of my work over to you because he's able to take advantage of a lower cost structure that exploits your workers (not necessarily you). Perhaps the contract as it stands is to your liking, but you benefit much more from it than your low-wage, no benefit employees. This set-up allows FedEx Ground to undercut UPS on rates, because they (Brown) actually have to pay their workers a decent living wage.

I don't know as much about Ground as you do, but I do know how it's set-up and why it's a scam. Keep on screwing your people over and skim-off the cream. If you can live with those type of ethics please have at it. Smith will reserve the penthouse suite in the fiery furnace for you. I hear Hitler and Idi Amin are good neighbors.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
...A true independent contractor makes his or her own rules and schedules in accordance with state and Federal laws. A real estate agent is a good example. Nobody tells them what their hours are and they work as much or little as they see fit, and it's up to them to police their actions.This is certainly not the case at FedEx Ground, where they are expected to perform as an employee, showing up at a scheduled time and doing a repetitive task according to strict rules, procedures, and electronic monitoring (via their version of the DIAD/PowerPad).

I don't know how to say this to you - I will say it respectfully - but you are factually incorrect on every point in this paragraph. Please, do not take my word for it - you obviously have internet access, do research, look it up, read it. Before you answer this post of mine, don't try & wing it - you are FACTUALLY completely incorrect, not just that you have a different viewpoint. You are saying things that are completely wrong - things easily verified as wrong.

To anyone who knows the legal definition of an Independent Contractor, you come across as someone simply winging it, making it up as you go along.

Oh, and you clearly have no idea on the legal relationship required between a licensed real estate agent and a licensed real estate broker; it is such a poor choice for an example that I wouldn't know where to start.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't know how to say this to you - I will say it respectfully - but you are factually incorrect on every point in this paragraph. Please, do not take my word for it - you obviously have internet access, do research, look it up, read it. Before you answer this post of mine, don't try & wing it - you are FACTUALLY completely incorrect, not just that you have a different viewpoint. You are saying things that are completely wrong - things easily verified as wrong.

To anyone who knows the legal definition of an Independent Contractor, you come across as someone simply winging it, making it up as you go along.

Oh, and you clearly have no idea on the legal relationship required between a licensed real estate agent and a licensed real estate broker; it is such a poor choice for an example that I wouldn't know where to start.

I know a fair amount about real estate, having been in the business for over 15 years as a sideline, so I do have direct knowledge of the subject. Yes, I have a broker, and yes, I have many legal responsibilities and a fiduciary relationship with my clients. But, I am an independent contractor as well. I pay my broker a desk fee and consult with her on legal matters pertaining to real estate, but that's about it. I sign papers in her office and use the broker's secretary, copier,and supplies that come with my desk fee. I set my own hours and work when I choose to, which is evenings and weekends due to my FedEx job, which I keep because I do get benefits. It's certainly not for the pay. What would your real estate experience be?

IC's at FedEx are not "winging it" either, to use your term. They have definite contractual responsibilities to FedEx. Where they do "wing it", is with their workers, who are generally paid like crap, get no benefits at all, and are instantly disposable to the IC. FedEx has changed the rules as they've gone along, which I doubt you know. IC's can no longer be single vehicle operations...that's how FedEx is getting around the "employee" issue...by making IC's "managers". Under the new plan, they might squeak by legally, but under the old plan they were employees.

So smart guy, pull your head out and quit acting like you've got it all figured out. This case is headed to the Supreme Court because nobody else has been able to decide it. Where did you get your J.D (that's a law degree)?

Tornup

I know a fair amount about real estate, having been in the business for over 15 years as a sideline, so I do have direct knowledge of the subject. Yes, I have a broker, and yes, I have many legal responsibilities and a fiduciary relationship with my clients. But, I am an independent contractor as well. I pay my broker a desk fee and consult with her on legal matters pertaining to real estate, but that's about it. I sign papers in her office and use the broker's secretary, copier,and supplies that come with my desk fee. I set my own hours and work when I choose to, which is evenings and weekends due to my FedEx job, which I keep because I do get benefits. It's certainly not for the pay. What would your real estate experience be?

IC's at FedEx are not "winging it" either, to use your term. They have definite contractual responsibilities to FedEx. Where they do "wing it", is with their workers, who are generally paid like crap, get no benefits at all, and are instantly disposable to the IC. FedEx has changed the rules as they've gone along, which I doubt you know. IC's can no longer be single vehicle operations...that's how FedEx is getting around the "employee" issue...by making IC's "managers". Under the new plan, they might squeak by legally, but under the old plan they were employees.

So smart guy, pull your head out and quit acting like you've got it all figured out. This case is headed to the Supreme Court because nobody else has been able to decide it. Where did you get your J.D (that's a law degree)?

Thank you, it's nice to know that someone else agrees. :happy2:

bbsam

Staff member
ahem, mrfedex, your information is somewhat incomplete. the multiple route requirement for ic's is only in effect in two states thus far. i believe California and possibly vermont or New Hampshire. any idea if express may adopt the contractor model anytime soon? i am looking forward to that opportunity.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
ahem, mrfedex, your information is somewhat incomplete. the multiple route requirement for ic's is only in effect in two states thus far. i believe California and possibly vermont or New Hampshire. any idea if express may adopt the contractor model anytime soon? i am looking forward to that opportunity.

I'm sure Fred is looking at ways to give you more Express business. The multiple-route IC is the new plan that the Corporation is trying to use to justify the IC model. Is that exact enough for you? If other states accept it as legal, that's what FedEx will try there as well.