Fedex management structure - operations

Maui

No, they don't. Your management team is trying to impress somebody by operating under budget and is willing to cut corners to do so. The only person who signs off on office expenses is the SM. Whether your location has adequate supplies or not depends on how big of a tightwad that individual is.

This is not true at Express. All supply orders, even Express shipping supplies, require the approval of the RVP. It is actually his assistant, but I can assure you that the approval flow is order-ops-SM-MD-RVP. I even had entire orders canceled because the "RVP" said one item of 30 was not on the approved list.

Here you are completely incorrect. You can use workarounds if you utilize your corporate card. Those only require approval from your immediate manager, but it is frowned upon if you go over budget.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
This is not true at Express. All supply orders, even Express shipping supplies, require the approval of the RVP. It is actually his assistant, but I can assure you that the approval flow is order-ops-SM-MD-RVP. I even had entire orders canceled because the "RVP" said one item of 30 was not on the approved list.

Here you are completely incorrect. You can use workarounds if you utilize your corporate card. Those only require approval from your immediate manager, but it is frowned upon if you go over budget.
Hey CJinx,

Told 'ya so!

CJinx

Is there some kind of a moratorium on spending on the express side of the fence? We don't have any hoops to jump through on Ground. I place an order, senior manager approves it, and it ships. No need to go to the district unless it's something outrageous (like our new coffee machine, lol).

Maui

Is there some kind of a moratorium on spending on the express side of the fence? We don't have any hoops to jump through on Ground. I place an order, senior manager approves it, and it ships. No need to go to the district unless it's something outrageous (like our new coffee machine, lol).

No, it is just a PITA. It helps that FXG has 18%+ margins vs 4-6% for Express.