Fedex Pal Labels

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I see Fedex ground is using Pal labes almost identical to ours. Either they bought the same computer program or they were so enamored with the efficiency of our operations they copied it exactly.

barnyard

KTM rider
Several years ago, I heard that UPS was also in the business of selling it's package sorting technology. Perhaps FedEx is also a customer.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
FedEx has been using these labels for some time now...both ground and express. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if some ex UPS mamager who was hired by FedEx and "suggested" this idea for their own system. I'm sure over the years there have been hundreds of UPS management go to FedEx an spill the beans about UPS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What's a PAL label?

Preload Assist Label

Gives the loader the lane number and shelf location where the pkg should be loaded. Has the tracking number, date and time it was SPA'd and center slic. This is helpful when you can't scan the BC and need to use the Find BC feature in our DIADs.

bbsam

Staff member
Preload Assist Label

Gives the loader the lane number and shelf location where the pkg should be loaded. Has the tracking number, date and time it was SPA'd and center slic. This is helpful when you can't scan the BC and need to use the Find BC feature in our DIADs.
Oh. Vision labels. Now if only we could get pre-loaders who could load by number....

browniehound

Preload Assist Label

Yes, that was/is a great idea. However, now they have the red "PAL stamp" instead of the label. Apparently it eliminates a bunch of jobs, but causes a handful of problems. Its a red stamp that simply has the HIN # but zeroother info for the driver. The PAL had the tracking # so we could obtain info from the label, the stamp doesn't have this #.

I don't know how the preloader reads this red stamp. It spells misloads all over it. Another negative is the stamp does not show the address so the preloader can't verify the PAL label to the address label thus preventing misloads like he is trained to do.

Ya know, our preload has been fighting the misload problem since PAS/EDD was implemented (before this I got about 3 misloads every year and now its 3 every day) and then they intoduce this red stamp to save money. Sorry it causes more problems in the end that we would be better off paying the SPA employee $10/hour for 4 hours instead of 50 drivers $46/hour at OT to deliver their 3 misloads at the end of the day. What am I missing here?

menotyou

bella amicizia
More time is a given. We were allowed 15-16 preloaders(if they would hire anyone) when I was on preload and we started at 3:30, 3:00 on Avon day. Now, they have 12, if they don't allow people without time the day off. They start at 4:30. We have more volume.

Load charts leads to area knowledge. You can't just throw anyone on those routes "with a map and a sandwich" as my on-car would say.

browniehound

Go back to load charts!!

Amen! I got about 1 misload every 6 months with the load chart. Now with PAS/EDD I get a minimum of 2 every day. Is the probblem the system or the worker? I say system because I NEVER had a misload before PAS. Now, they are just spreading like wildfire.

pretzel_man

Amen! I got about 1 misload every 6 months with the load chart. Now with PAS/EDD I get a minimum of 2 every day. Is the probblem the system or the worker? I say system because I NEVER had a misload before PAS. Now, they are just spreading like wildfire.

The misload problem can be fixed pretty quickly if the local management really cared....

1) Insist that drivers record every single misload in the DIAD. This give visibility to the situation and improvement can be tracked.

2) Work with every loader on methods, ensuring they place every package where the handling instruction says. Make sure all packages are loded so handling instructions are visible.

3) Supervisors audit the loads, checking that the right package is in the right car, and right shelf

4) Follow up daily with the loaders on the misload report from the DIAD.

5) Look for and correct any AMS alias problems or DPS dispatch problems.

The above is just back to the basics methods, and I've seen it work many times.