Fedex paying 500 a day to run unserviced routes

Exec32

You left even more money on the table than I thought. Smart, really smart.

Here's what I've learned from conducting hundreds of interviews in my professional career. People who give self righteous and pious excuses for making incredibly poor decisions are hiding something. Always. No exceptions.

I thought about it. The "competent contractor" will tell you exactly what he does: fulfills his obligations as agreed and collects money. You sound more and more like a guy who couldn't fulfill his obligations and make money, so you bail out and "OMG, THEY'RE SO DISHONEST.' It's common for someone who is hiding something to rationalize things in that manner.

Here's what I've learned from conducting hundreds of interviews in my professional career...

You haven't learned much...
It comes from ignorance.

bacha29

Here's what I've learned from conducting hundreds of interviews in my professional career...

You haven't learned much...
It comes from ignorance.
While the culture is by and large the same what Dano doesn't understand is that the environment is much more hostile at Ground. As a contractor there is by design no most opportune or most economically beneficial time to pack it in. You first have to find somebody totally ignorant of what they're getting themselves into who will buy out your contract. They're getting hard to come by because the most effective means of communication that being word of mouth speaks increasingly unfavorably about XG contracting. Then again XG will only allow you to sell to the person they believe is most capable of serving THEIR interests. The interests of the contractor always comes second despite the fact that he is being asked to invest money in the venture. An investment whose security is entirely under the control of XG. An increasingly unstable place to invest money.

bbsam

Staff member
While the culture is by and large the same what Dano doesn't understand is that the environment is much more hostile at Ground. As a contractor there is by design no most opportune or most economically beneficial time to pack it in. You first have to find somebody totally ignorant of what they're getting themselves into who will buy out your contract. They're getting hard to come by because the most effective means of communication that being word of mouth speaks increasingly unfavorably about XG contracting. Then again XG will only allow you to sell to the person they believe is most capable of serving THEIR interests. The interests of the contractor always comes second despite the fact that he is being asked to invest money in the venture. An investment whose security is entirely under the control of XG. An increasingly unstable place to invest money.
That’s simply not true. Buyers, especially those looking at it strictly from an investment angle, are not hard to find at all.

bacha29

That’s simply not true. Buyers, especially those looking at it strictly from an investment angle, are not hard to find at all.
Think so huh? Perhaps you should take a look at some of the nationwide business brokers sites . Some are loaded with XG contracts and some have been there for quite awhile. Then again if you are in a part of the country where all the necessary components upon which the business model is based exists it can be modestly attractive. But those components do not exist every place in the country . For example, the population of the county I live in is 21% LOWER than it was in 1950 which explains why public officials in my county are already dreading what the 2020 census is going to look like.

bbsam

Staff member
Think so huh? Perhaps you should take a look at some of the nationwide business brokers sites . Some are loaded with XG contracts and some have been there for quite awhile. Then again if you are in a part of the country where all the necessary components upon which the business model is based exists it can be modestly attractive. But those components do not exist every place in the country . For example, the population of the county I live in is 21% LOWER than it was in 1950 which explains why public officials in my county are already dreading what the 2020 census is going to look like.
I know it for a fact. Watched one here and another in the Chicago area.

bacha29

I know it for a fact. Watched one here and another in the Chicago area.
Right if you are in a GOOD area. But contrary to what X and other believe the entire world is not one great big city. My county is a 1164 square mile area with a population of 80,000 and sizable portion of which are in nursing homes, the state prison or the federal prison.

Exec32

Understand this, do not take this the wrong way, however I have found an interesting pattern here with recent X purchases. What makes this concerning is the access to restricted federal and state facilities that are often granted to X contractors and drivers that open up security concerns.
Recent sales to foreign owned entities have happened here. I will not go into detail about the national origin, but lets just say homeland security may want to look in to the vetting process done by X for its consent process.
I know many of you will defend X, and claim they do backgrounds and e-verfy, but keep in mind X has no control over what you do internally after you or who you have control over have left the terminal. I mean sure they can make one jump through hoops and obey when they are in eye site, but the actual absence of control creates serious security concerns, especially for agencies, businesses, and the general public that assumes you guys work for a legitimate company like Fedex and not joe smuck inc..

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Yet people invest and thrive. Why couldn't you?

vantexan

Good Lord, you've driven that many people away? :)

bacha29

Yet people invest and thrive. Why couldn't you?
There has been quite a number of people at the station I was at who tried to do the job as a contractor but collided with the same factors. Too many miles, too few stops, poor road quality that took a heavy toll on vehicles , the lack of a qualified drug free labor pool to draw from. By staying strictly single route and refusing to take additional routes despite the fact that they were offered to us completely free of charge I and the other 2 Day1's soldiered on for 23 years until we had the opportunity to sell to starry eyed aspiring ISP's who learned the hard way why we wouldn't bite on the so called "opportunity".

XEQaF

There has been quite a number of people at the station I was at who tried to do the job as a contractor but collided with the same factors. Too many miles, too few stops, poor road quality that took a heavy toll on vehicles , the lack of a qualified drug free labor pool to draw from. By staying strictly single route and refusing to take additional routes despite the fact that they were offered to us completely free of charge I and the other 2 Day1's soldiered on for 23 years until we had the opportunity to sell to starry eyed aspiring ISP's who learned the hard way why we wouldn't bite on the so called "opportunity".
The larger you become the larger the expenses. Like you mentioned you have to wait for your area to grow to get some density or you have to go further away from your base which if you run the numbers isn't really profitable with the added headaches. The margins aren't scalable. The only increase you get are the bonuses for more runs which again are only designed to keep you with your hand out

XEQaF

Understand this, do not take this the wrong way, however I have found an interesting pattern here with recent X purchases. What makes this concerning is the access to restricted federal and state facilities that are often granted to X contractors and drivers that open up security concerns.
Recent sales to foreign owned entities have happened here. I will not go into detail about the national origin, but lets just say homeland security may want to look in to the vetting process done by X for its consent process.
I know many of you will defend X, and claim they do backgrounds and e-verfy, but keep in mind X has no control over what you do internally after you or who you have control over have left the terminal. I mean sure they can make one jump through hoops and obey when they are in eye site, but the actual absence of control creates serious security concerns, especially for agencies, businesses, and the general public that assumes you guys work for a legitimate company like Fedex and not joe smuck inc..
Interesting predicament for everyone. It's funny the time and effort they put into background checks yet true story, my depot was transitioning to become a substation they needed to hire a "part time" ops manager. No qualified person would ever apply for a part time manager role. Due to the lack of applicants they promoted the Package Handler who was only 6 months into the job. Not only was she highly underqualified but if they did a bit of investigating they would have uncovered that she was currently the subject in a disciplinary hearing being heard by an investment regulatory board for her conduct as a licensed investment advisor. The board ended up ruling against her in a defrauding allegation. Not a "criminal charge" but a charge from an internal advisory panel that oversees the conduct of their licensed members.

Anyway when I showed senior managers the documents of the hearing which is publicly accessible they did nothing. I questioned whether they condone behavior like this, if it's acceptable for FXG management put in a leadership role maintaining their integrity to have someone of questionable character to be in an authoritative position? Probably embarrassed at the lack of due diligence they conducted in attaining this person they disregarded it all and didn't take action. A simple Google search of the person's name would uncover local media stories about her case. Goes to show when the shoe is on the other foot you get met with crickets.

It will be fine

Interesting predicament for everyone. It's funny the time and effort they put into background checks yet true story, my depot was transitioning to become a substation they needed to hire a "part time" ops manager. No qualified person would ever apply for a part time manager role. Due to the lack of applicants they promoted the Package Handler who was only 6 months into the job. Not only was she highly underqualified but if they did a bit of investigating they would have uncovered that she was currently the subject in a disciplinary hearing being heard by an investment regulatory board for her conduct as a licensed investment advisor. The board ended up ruling against her in a defrauding allegation. Not a "criminal charge" but a charge from an internal advisory panel that oversees the conduct of their licensed members.

Anyway when I showed senior managers the documents of the hearing which is publicly accessible they did nothing. I questioned whether they condone behavior like this, if it's acceptable for FXG management put in a leadership role maintaining their integrity to have someone of questionable character to be in an authoritative position? Probably embarrassed at the lack of due diligence they conducted in attaining this person they disregarded it all and didn't take action. A simple Google search of the person's name would uncover local media stories about her case. Goes to show when the shoe is on the other foot you get met with crickets.
You behaved like that and wonder why FedEx management didn’t like you? It’s a real head scratcher.

bbsam

Staff member
I guess he sucks because he doesn't think the way of the sheep
Hmmm

Maybe. I once thought about conquering the world of transport. Now? Nah. I go in , hang out for a couple hours, go home, pick up the kids...

I don’t know. Seems a decent life while making six figures. I’ve had worse.