Fedex paying 500 a day to run unserviced routes

XEQaF

Indeed. Management pulled a similar stunt on me. Imagine their surprise when in return I abandoned (without warning) a very difficult, problematic Air Force base that I was servicing that was NOT in my contract. Or anyone else's contract, either. After that, I operated (skittered and dodged) five more years as a 'problematic' contractor in what immediately became and was ever after a nit-picking, Orwellian, toxic environment.

It's cute you had 'values' while contracting with XG. Candle in the wind.
Would you care to pm me sometime about your story? I'm interested in hearing it. With me like I mentioned I was a stand-alone so I never got to interact and compare notes with other contractors. Would be neat to hear this story from you

XEQaF

Sorry, still doesn’t add up. One driver lost has you walk away in November when your contract went to February? That’s 4 months to find a buyer and running the operation during the 2 most profitable months of the year. I’m glad you walked, it is one of the few things that makes fedex realize they’ve squeezed too much, but I wouldn’t do it. Too much money to be had riding out a sale timeline.
I know what you mean, and I guess because I'm not sharing all the things that have happened over the course of those years that finally got to me. It wasn't based solely on the driver being disqualified but from a laundry list of mismanagement that ultimately affects your bottom line as well as your sanity. But I understand your point in financial terms

XEQaF

These guys are all the same. They play the "It was an integrity issue" hand a little too strong. I can't explain it but they play it just a little too strong for a little too long. It's one thing to say that you didn't like the terms or the interactions with management, because we've all been there in one way or another and most people understand that. But there's that effort to paint the adversary as this huge amoral beast and themselves as the upholders of decency and morality. It has been my experience that those folks are trying to make excuses instead of being straightforward.

This guy is admitting to making a monumental bonehead business decision on the grounds that he was "sticking it to the man." Well, he's just another footnote in the history of "the man," "the man" is alive and well and prospering, and he's complaining on a message board.
So tell me 59 Dano, what are you without having the strong values of integrity, decency and morality? What kind of business professional or example do you set without these values? Do you regard monetary gains as your greatest value, because that's an empty thought.

disagreements with parts of the contract or management is par for the course as you mentioned. This huge "amoral beast" you talk about does exist. It's called a corporation and it's principle focus it's own survival at any means possible not in reciprocating good relationships with partners for mutual benefit. And you are right, "the man" will always survive and do well despite the little contractor from nowhere Canada making an informed decision due to losing his faith in the direction 'the man' is taking. I take responsibility for my actions, the problem is X will never do the same. So I will tell my story on a message board for others to be wary, whereas you will walk blindly and waste your time responding to complaints on a message board

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
So tell me 59 Dano, what are you without having the strong values of integrity, decency and morality? What kind of business professional or example do you set without these values? Do you regard monetary gains as your greatest value, because that's an empty thought.

Not questioning your integrity, decency, etc. Just pointing out that you're likely using those as excuses to mask the real reasons for your failure. Some people can't cut it and can't admit it so they run with the integrity trope.

disagreements with parts of the contract or management is par for the course as you mentioned. This huge "amoral beast" you talk about does exist. It's called a corporation and it's principle focus it's own survival at any means possible not in reciprocating good relationships with partners for mutual benefit.

You signed the same contract they did. You knew what you were getting into. To agree to the terms of the contract and then balk after the fact is a failing on your part. Maybe you thought the contract meant something other than what it said. Maybe you didn't stand your ground when you were in the right. I don't know. You're not a victim.

What I do know is that there are several contractors here who are open and candid about their dealings with Ground. It's a business relationship and as far as I can tell, all they expect from Ground is for them to honor the terms of the contract.

And you are right, "the man" will always survive and do well despite the little contractor from nowhere Canada making an informed decision due to losing his faith in the direction 'the man' is taking.

As one of the competent contractors posted, he plays by their rules and takes their money. Some people don't get it and never will.

XEQaF

Not questioning your integrity, decency, etc. Just pointing out that you're likely using those as excuses to mask the real reasons for your failure. Some people can't cut it and can't admit it so they run with the integrity trope.

I'm trying to understand your view here. If many people are referring to integrity as being a factor, maybe there is an underlining truth to that? Just like saying contractors who continue to toe the line for FXG are weak? Could be truths to either one of those statements or not.
You keep mentioning a failure on my end. There wasn't a failure my friend. A failure would be a contractor who couldn't maintain their DSAs properly etc. We boasted positive numbers. We were awarded Best In Business for our region. Our quarterly efficiencies were always one of the highest, lowest complaints, misdeliveries etc. All the metrics FXG measures contractors by we performed well. My cash flow was positive everyone got paid on time.
The point to my leaving is I couldn't associate with a company I could no longer trust

You signed the same contract they did. You knew what you were getting into. To agree to the terms of the contract and then balk after the fact is a failing on your part. Maybe you thought the contract meant something other than what it said. Maybe you didn't stand your ground when you were in the right. I don't know. You're not a victim.

No I would never say I'm a victim in anyway here. I didn't say anything about the terms of the agreement. I knew it was one-sided, I was clear in mentioning the areas I didn't agree with. In all contracts there are areas parties don't agree upon, that's why there is a negotiation, with FXG contracts there is no negotiation. I still signed and worked with it year after year. Not the issue.

As one of the competent contractors posted, he plays by their rules and takes their money. Some people don't get it and never will.[/QUOTE]

Not the case. Contractors (I) provide a service. A service that uses my resources and expertise in the last mile delivery chain. A service that cost money to provide. A service that I get paid to do. Which is essentially the definition of Independent Contractor. Your "competent contractor" who plays by their rules and takes their money, sounds a lot like an employer-employee relationship now doesn't it, now isn't that the whole issue we are all trying to talk about here? Think about it.

59 Dano

I'm trying to understand your view here. If many people are referring to integrity as being a factor, maybe there is an underlining truth to that? Just like saying contractors who continue to toe the line for FXG are weak? Could be truths to either one of those statements or not.
You keep mentioning a failure on my end. There wasn't a failure my friend. A failure would be a contractor who couldn't maintain their DSAs properly etc. We boasted positive numbers. We were awarded Best In Business for our region. Our quarterly efficiencies were always one of the highest, lowest complaints, misdeliveries etc. All the metrics FXG measures contractors by we performed well. My cash flow was positive everyone got paid on time.
The point to my leaving is I couldn't associate with a company I could no longer trust

You left even more money on the table than I thought. Smart, really smart.

Here's what I've learned from conducting hundreds of interviews in my professional career. People who give self righteous and pious excuses for making incredibly poor decisions are hiding something. Always. No exceptions.

Not the case. Contractors (I) provide a service. A service that uses my resources and expertise in the last mile delivery chain. A service that cost money to provide. A service that I get paid to do. Which is essentially the definition of Independent Contractor. Your "competent contractor" who plays by their rules and takes their money, sounds a lot like an employer-employee relationship now doesn't it, now isn't that the whole issue we are all trying to talk about here? Think about it.

I thought about it. The "competent contractor" will tell you exactly what he does: fulfills his obligations as agreed and collects money. You sound more and more like a guy who couldn't fulfill his obligations and make money, so you bail out and "OMG, THEY'RE SO DISHONEST.' It's common for someone who is hiding something to rationalize things in that manner.

XEQaF

You left even more money on the table than I thought. Smart, really smart.

Here's what I've learned from conducting hundreds of interviews in my professional career. People who give self righteous and pious excuses for making incredibly poor decisions are hiding something. Always. No exceptions.

I thought about it. The "competent contractor" will tell you exactly what he does: fulfills his obligations as agreed and collects money. You sound more and more like a guy who couldn't fulfill his obligations and make money, so you bail out and "OMG, THEY'RE SO DISHONEST.' It's common for someone who is hiding something to rationalize things in that manner.

So hold on here, I assumed you were a FXG contractor or a manager at the very least but you're not?? I'm not sure why you have an opinion on this matter then. You really don't have a dog in this. You are an employee not an entrepreneur. You trade your time for a paycheck. You haven't been in meetings with FXG management as a Contractor you haven't had to balance a budget, make strategic decisions, make payroll, pay corporate taxes? You don't know what it's like to have a growth mindset when you are dealing in a world based on a fixed mindset.

You are fixed on this notion that people have something to hide. You know what they say about people that think a certain way? Is that they in fact have something to hide. So what is it Dano. Why the distain, and resentment in your tone? What's rocked your boat? Did you get passed over for something? Honestly you are very entertaining I will give you that, but you haven't had the real life experience in this situation so your thoughts aren't worth a dime if you haven't done the time, and if you haven't put in your dime, your thoughts aren't worth my time.

bbsam

Staff member
Indeed. Management pulled a similar stunt on me. Imagine their surprise when in return I abandoned (without warning) a very difficult, problematic Air Force base that I was servicing that was NOT in my contract. Or anyone else's contract, either. After that, I operated (skittered and dodged) five more years as a 'problematic' contractor in what immediately became and was ever after a nit-picking, Orwellian, toxic environment.

It's cute you had 'values' while contracting with XG. Candle in the wind.
I had them DQ one of my best drivers 4 years ago right before peak. Terrible experience.

I’m still there.

59 Dano

So hold on here, I assumed you were a FXG contractor or a manager at the very least but you're not?? I'm not sure why you have an opinion on this matter then. You really don't have a dog in this. You are an employee not an entrepreneur. You trade your time for a paycheck. You haven't been in meetings with FXG management as a Contractor you haven't had to balance a budget, make strategic decisions, make payroll, pay corporate taxes? You don't know what it's like to have a growth mindset when you are dealing in a world based on a fixed mindset.

I'm not a doctor, but I don't have to be one to point out that a doctor amputated the wrong limb if he amputates the wrong limb. You walked away from a decent amount of money. STUPID. MOVE.

You are fixed on this notion that people have something to hide. You know what they say about people that think a certain way? Is that they in fact have something to hide. So what is it Dano. Why the distain, and resentment in your tone? What's rocked your boat? Did you get passed over for something? Honestly you are very entertaining I will give you that, but you haven't had the real life experience in this situation so your thoughts aren't worth a dime if you haven't done the time, and if you haven't put in your dime, your thoughts aren't worth my time.

LOL, WTF? Looks like I struck a nerve.

dmac1

I'm not a doctor, but I don't have to be one to point out that a doctor amputated the wrong limb if he amputates the wrong limb. You walked away from a decent amount of money. STUPID. MOVE.

LOL, WTF? Looks like I struck a nerve.

You don't have a clue.

If fedex was screwing with him, they would never have approved buyers. In fact, they may have already lined up someone they wanted- a cousin, or nephew, or son-in-law who needed a job.

I had buyers pending approval, and as soon as they had completed all the paperwork, fedex claimed I had violated the contract by saying I couldn't 'take all these friend*ing boxes ' that another contractor couldn't fit in his truck. Supposedly, that was enough in their eyes to claim 'improper decorum' even though I was in a warehouse where people said much worse. Fedex left those buyers hanging, expecting to go to work, until the paperwork went through approving cancelling my contract. Funny thing is that the manager was fired within a couple months, and two of the three drivers they split my routes among were also fired They ended up with 4 drivers covering the area I was covering with 3, because I was able to flex packages, and knew my areas like the back of my hand. I had spent years learning the backroads and vaguries of the areas. things like addresses out of order, roads that didn't go through, shortcuts that could save hours of driving, etc.

I had 100% service for multiple years, never missed a bonus, and was always willing to help out during peak, until fedex decided that because I hired an extra driver, and had an extra van, that the area I covered at peak rates was then mine to cover permanently after peak. But the one 'christian' manager, who asked me during a ride-a-long if I believed in Christ, took a huge dislike to me on a personal level, and made up in his mind that I had to go.

After all was said and done, I ended up with more in my pocket than I would have netted from the sale, but it took a while longer. Point is that fedex is the one that doesn't respect the contract unless it suits them, and all it takes is one manager to make idiots think it is always the contractor who isn't capable when things go wrong.

59 Dano

You don't have a clue.

If fedex was screwing with him, they would never have approved buyers. In fact, they may have already lined up someone they wanted- a cousin, or nephew, or son-in-law who needed a job.

I'm going by what he's posted, and he's made his reasoning --such as it is-- perfectly clear. But thank you for speculating on his behalf!

It will be fine

You don't have a clue.

I had buyers pending approval, and as soon as they had completed all the paperwork, fedex claimed I had violated the contract by saying I couldn't 'take all these friend*ing boxes ' that another contractor couldn't fit in his truck. Supposedly, that was enough in their eyes to claim 'improper decorum' even though I was in a warehouse where people said much worse. Fedex left those buyers hanging, expecting to go to work, until the paperwork went through approving cancelling my contract. Funny thing is that the manager was fired within a couple months, and two of the three drivers they split my routes among were also fired They ended up with 4 drivers covering the area I was covering with 3, because I was able to flex packages, and knew my areas like the back of my hand. I had spent years learning the backroads and vaguries of the areas. things like addresses out of order, roads that didn't go through, shortcuts that could save hours of driving, etc.

I had 100% service for multiple years, never missed a bonus, and was always willing to help out during peak, until fedex decided that because I hired an extra driver, and had an extra van, that the area I covered at peak rates was then mine to cover permanently after peak. But the one 'christian' manager, who asked me during a ride-a-long if I believed in Christ, took a huge dislike to me on a personal level, and made up in his mind that I had to go.

After all was said and done, I ended up with more in my pocket than I would have netted from the sale, but it took a while longer. Point is that fedex is the one that doesn't respect the contract unless it suits them, and all it takes is one manager to make idiots think it is always the contractor who isn't capable when things go wrong.
Manipulation of fedex management is a vital aspect of running an operation under contract with Fedex Ground. You don’t have to be a kiss arse, but if you’re adversarial to the point where you’ve lost all equity in your business that’s a failure. You can stand up for yourself and make money at the same time. Not every battle is worth fighting.

Mutineer

I had them DQ one of my best drivers 4 years ago right before peak. Terrible experience.

I’m still there.

Yes. And it's exactly that kind of crap that I cannot abide. XG will cheerfully devote legions of overpaid nit-pickers (Deloitte, for example) leaving no stone unturned in order to dig up, invent, create and exacerbate problems for their contractors.

And then not hire enough preloaders during peak. Or have a viable backup plan when the belt breaks. Or any number of chronic problems that delay dispatch. XG ignores their own problems. Which causes problems for the contractor. And in the end, it's still, somehow, ALL the contractor's fault.

And when dispatch is at 10:30 or later, have the nerve to tell their contractors to get more vans and hire/train more drivers. At the drop of a hat. As supplementals, of course.

And all the while, the ever-present, idle threats. None of these things are reassuring
when it's 'just a job' to lose. But absolutely insulting and intolerable when you have EVERYTHING you've ever worked for to lose.

The only thing a contractor can do is be ever vigilant and have backup plans for backup plans. No matter how remote or unlikely the events.

bacha29

You don't have a clue.

Your comments bring back memories of many similar experiences.If your in an area whose demographics are not an exact fit with the business model it's an impossible situation. I also find it very amusing the claims by some of autonomy and independence. You can try if you wish but you won't be there long. In matters where the terms of the contract doesn't completely favor or serve the interests of the company they reinterpret the language and if they can't they simply ignore it.
This helps to explain why they want absentee contractors who offer no resistance and haven't a clue as to what it's like to go out there and run a route day after day. in their place they have BC's AO's and OM's , people who are nothing more than serfs and whipping boys.

As long as there are plenty of unsuspecting drivers willing to work for bare sustenance compensation and investor class participants the operation will limp along for awhile longer. However after twisting, manipulating and taping addendum's on top of addendum's there may not be a whole lot more they can do to take what is a poor setup to begin with and make it adaptable to changing market conditions.
And yes I too had a bible thumper for a TM. I put him in his place early on by means of a simple remark he couldn't respond to: " There are two types of people. People of faith and people of religion. People of faith can think for themselves. People of religion want somebody to do that for them".

59 Dano

You don’t have to be a kiss arse, but if you’re adversarial to the point where you’ve lost all equity in your business that’s a failure. You can stand up for yourself and make money at the same time. Not every battle is worth fighting.

Oh, good Lord, THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS.

People who don't realize that not every battle is worth fighting spend an inordinate amount of time fighting. Why spend good time and effort to avoid a loss that doesn't mean anything? Oh, wait... "I gots my principles!!!"

XEQaF

Yes. And it's exactly that kind of crap that I cannot abide. XG will cheerfully devote legions of overpaid nit-pickers (Deloitte, for example) leaving no stone unturned in order to dig up, invent, create and exacerbate problems for their contractors.

And then not hire enough preloaders during peak. Or have a viable backup plan when the belt breaks. Or any number of chronic problems that delay dispatch. XG ignores their own problems. Which causes problems for the contractor. And in the end, it's still, somehow, ALL the contractor's fault.

And when dispatch is at 10:30 or later, have the nerve to tell their contractors to get more vans and hire/train more drivers. At the drop of a hat. As supplementals, of course.

And all the while, the ever-present, idle threats. None of these things are reassuring
when it's 'just a job' to lose. But absolutely insulting and intolerable when you have EVERYTHING you've ever worked for to lose.

The only thing a contractor can do is be ever vigilant and have backup plans for backup plans. No matter how remote or unlikely the events.
The truth! Word for word you basically described the frustrations that go on each day to a tee. Like you said when these issues are brought to the forefront, there is never a plan to address them. Thank you for this share!

XEQaF

You don't have a clue.

Everything you shared here is exactly how it is in that world. When you can think for yourself you can certainly understand what is happening around you. Well written, thank you!