Fedex paying 500 a day to run unserviced routes

bbsam

Staff member
"The reality of contracting with fedex"
You are not a contractor. What is that reality? Most of you guys are losers that suck up to your TM and have screwed other "contractors". Make no mistake I was able to terminate my contract because of fedex failure to service my company. That concept will fly way over your head because you have no respect for your company or employees, and you have nothing else.
"What I do on daily bases", you cant begin to grasp because you cant think for yourself. I can prove it.
Explain your marketing plan, describe your policies and procedures, provide your enterprise design and insignia, how diversified is your "company", who upgrades and designed your website and software?
Now go do what master say..

Meet my criteria?
No, it's called the 20 point check list. Take a look at it. It's on the IRS website.

You think these things are on the IRS checklist?

Have you read it? Last I checked, it was as vague as an X contract.

FedGT

Bro, you cant comprehend it. Keep clocking in. Little guys like you need to work for somebody.

Interesting statement, since you are looking out for the little guy and all on your other post and want to protect them. Is anything truthful that you say? Seem to me you just tout arrogance.

Exec32

Interesting statement, since you are looking out for the little guy and all on your other post and want to protect them. Is anything truthful that you say? Seem to me you just tout arrogance.
Everybody needs to be corrected at some point.
You will like the next recommendation to the little guys. It would be in their best interest to know how much their coworkers are being paid for the same position. They should disclose to each other what they are paid, to ensure fair pay.
Little guys, talk amongst your drivers disclose your pay, find out how honest your boss has really been.
Now that's looking out for the little guys.

Exec32

I know who runs the show and make money at it, that’s not naïveté. Making management my enemy and losing the opportunity to sell is naive.
I didn't make them my enemy, it was a bit more involved. I didn't lose the opportunity to sell, they refused to allow me.
I'm sure if you have been doing this long enough you know exactly what occurred. It's done across the country.

Exec32

So what? They couldn’t keep you busy enough so you started carrying other freight along with X freight?
Nope, I actually helped out my fellow contractors. Eliminated overlap, cut maps, a signed areas for my company and the neighboring entities. I had personal there at 5am to sort packages, pip, delete, transfer, you name it to reduce inefficeincies and any delays to dispatch. We did 6 days before there were 6 days.
Hard to believe, huh.

Exec32

You will like the next recommendation to the little guys. It would be in their best interest to know how much their coworkers are being paid for the same position. They should disclose to each other what they are paid, to ensure fair pay.
Little guys, talk amongst your drivers disclose your pay, find out how honest your boss has really been.

I'm sorry bbsam,
What I described above is what increased my volume and reduced costs. It had nothing to do with X involvement. This was completely unilateral, with the exception of using their scanner.

FedGT

Wow? You think all drivers should make the same amount of money regardless of experience, work ethic, route size, integrity, etc.........I really hope no one ever listens to you.
Recruiter: “so why did you let go of xxxx”
Old contractor: “ well, he knew during peak season we needed all the help we could get, he came in and threatened to quite if he didn’t make 50% more than he was currently making, then he told all the drivers what he made to try to get them angry, Fortunately he was such a bad employee and made so little it didn’t matter.
Recruiter: so he tried to maliciously sabotage your company when he knew you needed him the most.
Old contractor: Yep, he was pretty dumb too. He got all this off some guy that failed miserably with FedEx in the first place, great person to take job advise from.
Recruiter: yeah, this resume is going in the trash.

Exec32

Wow? You think all drivers should make the same amount of money regardless of experience, work ethic, route size, integrity, etc.........I really hope no one ever listens to you.
Old contractor: “ well, he knew during peak season we needed all the help we could get, he came in and threatened to quite if he didn’t make 50% more than he was currently making, then he told all the drivers what he made to try to get them angry, Fortunately he was such a bad employee and made so little it didn’t matter.
Recruiter: so he tried to maliciously sabotage your company when he knew you needed him the most.
Old contractor: Yep, he was pretty dumb too. He got all this off some guy that failed miserably with FedEx in the first place, great person to take job advise from.
It's called transparency. You guys screw over as many drivers as possible. Having set wages and raises will avoid this. If you do have that then you have nothing to worry about. But, I know that almost none of you conduct business like that.

Exec32

FedGT

It's called transparency. You guys screw over as many drivers as possible. Having set wages and raises will avoid this. If you do have that then you have nothing to worry about. But, I know that almost none of you conduct business like that.
That is ridiculous. So your theory is everyone that does the same job should be paid the same. A new hire making $700 a week that is lucky to do 60 stops gets butt hurt because a 4 year driver that has the ability to do 150 stops is making $1000 a week and earned it. That has nothing to do with “scheduled raises” it is entitled people trying to get what hasn’t been earned.
Are you a Commie??????

dmac1

I filed a form SS-8 with the IRS to challenge the contractor status twice. The first time, amid all the lawsuits, and with fedex paying a fine to settle a claim with the IRS, the IRS answered with a letter stating that
"at this time, we decline to issue a ruling". When I filed again a few years later, it took them 3 years to finally issue a decision in my favor.

By the time I got the ruling, it was about 8 years later, and in a practical sense, too late to go back and make any claims outside what the class action claimed. It was really too late to even amend my tax returns, unless I wanted to pay an attorney to prove that I could amend my returns based on the idea that the deadline to amend should be based on the date I originally filed the SS-8

In the meantime, fedex has made just enough changes to the contract that someone would need to file a new claim based on the new situation. Basically, it doesn't take a lot of direct control to make one an employee. And it isn't just the wording of the contract, it is the reality of what fedex does- vehicle selection, training, equipment supply, like scanners, insurance vendors, gently "urging" use of fedex uniforms, driver approval, requirements on how you must pay employees, etc. For example- if you hire a contractor to build a house, that contractor can subcontract out some or all of the work. Try that with fedex. Just because you agree to it, and it is in the contract doesn't mean it isn't a good measure of control.

The reason no one has filed a class action yet is due to the realization that it was just not profitable for attorneys after seeing what happened in the last case from 2006. It took 11 years, and then the amount the attorneys settled for was much less than original estimates. Fedex has the resources on a national level, and it has been shown in the prior case that 'contractor' status is really a state-by-state situation, with just a minor part of any claim applicable nationwide.

bbsam

Staff member
I filed a form SS-8 with the IRS to challenge the contractor status twice. The first time, amid all the lawsuits, and with fedex paying a fine to settle a claim with the IRS, the IRS answered with a letter stating that
"at this time, we decline to issue a ruling". When I filed again a few years later, it took them 3 years to finally issue a decision in my favor.

By the time I got the ruling, it was about 8 years later, and in a practical sense, too late to go back and make any claims outside what the class action claimed. It was really too late to even amend my tax returns, unless I wanted to pay an attorney to prove that I could amend my returns based on the idea that the deadline to amend should be based on the date I originally filed the SS-8

In the meantime, fedex has made just enough changes to the contract that someone would need to file a new claim based on the new situation. Basically, it doesn't take a lot of direct control to make one an employee. And it isn't just the wording of the contract, it is the reality of what fedex does- vehicle selection, training, equipment supply, like scanners, insurance vendors, gently "urging" use of fedex uniforms, driver approval, requirements on how you must pay employees, etc. For example- if you hire a contractor to build a house, that contractor can subcontract out some or all of the work. Try that with fedex. Just because you agree to it, and it is in the contract doesn't mean it isn't a good measure of control.

The reason no one has filed a class action yet is due to the realization that it was just not profitable for attorneys after seeing what happened in the last case from 2006. It took 11 years, and then the amount the attorneys settled for was much less than original estimates. Fedex has the resources on a national level, and it has been shown in the prior case that 'contractor' status is really a state-by-state situation, with just a minor part of any claim applicable nationwide.
So in other words, the law is so pointless that Fedex can call us contractors even if we are employees and there’s nothing substantive that anyone can really do about it.

dmac1

So in other words, the law is so pointless that Fedex can call us contractors even if we are employees and there’s nothing substantive that anyone can really do about it.

Pretty much nothing, especially with the amount people have invested today. And by investment, I don't mean purchasing the 'business' alone. Owning 5 trucks that you likely owe more on than they're worth is a reason to behave like a good little 'contractor' even if you know better. Maybe if you have an attorney in the family who can set aside years of time to help?????

And if you own the vehicles outright, or at least are even on them, you are tied because of the DMV and insurance laws. A lot of cities won't let you park 4-5 or more commercial vehicles in a residential area, so you'd need to rent somewhere to park them if you wanted or needed to walk away.

And fedex seemed to have learned a few lessons about treating people a little better. There were hundreds of 'disgruntled' HD drivers just a few years after start-up, 'fed up you might say. Fedex was treating people like dirt, even people who were doing a great job. Those people, like me, came in with an expectation that fedex would adhere to the contract. At least today, people know better and have more history of fedex to look at.

Exec32

You think all drivers should make the same amount of money regardless of experience, work ethic, route size, integrity, etc........
This has nothing to do with drivers getting paid the same amount, however I'm sure if they talk amongst themselves they will find out what integrity really means to a contractor.
By the way you dont measure ethic and integrity, your policies and procedures should clearly address performance and outline your compensation package.
That is ridiculous. So your theory is everyone that does the same job should be paid the same. A new hire making $700 a week that is lucky to do 60 stops gets butt hurt because a 4 year driver that has the ability to do 150 stops is making $1000 a week and earned it. That has nothing to do with “scheduled raises” it is entitled people trying to get what hasn’t been earned.
Are you a Commie??????
WRONG..
There is much wrong with your thinking I will type slowly...
My theory is be transparent and honest with your drivers. Let them know what raises are available and when they can earn them. Entry level pay, is entry level pay, for everyone. What amount you pay is not the issue, how much a raise is, not the issue.
You guys dont do this. You rely on higher payed drivers to remain silent, and others to remain uninformed. Why, because you intentionally dont set up a reliable pay scale, you dont start people off with the same amount. Express does, UPS does, any company I worked for did, but you guys are dishonest. And when these drivers talk amongst themselves you know they will discover who you really are.
Commie? Boy I was in the 10th mountain division when you was smoking pot.

It will be fine

You think all drivers should make the same amount of money regardless of experience, work ethic, route size, integrity, etc........
This has nothing to do with drivers getting paid the same amount, however I'm sure if they talk amongst themselves they will find out what integrity really means to a contractor.
By the way you dont measure ethic and integrity, your policies and procedures should clearly address performance and outline your compensation package.

WRONG..
My theory is be transparent and honest with your drivers. Let them know what raises are available and when they can earn them. Entry level pay, is entry level pay, for everyone. What amount you pay is not the issue, how much a raise is, not the issue.
You guys dont do this. You rely on higher payed drivers to remain silent, and others to remain uninformed. Why, because you intentionally dont set up a reliable pay scale, you dont start people off with the same amount. Express does, UPS does, any company I worked for did, but you guys are dishonest. And when these drivers talk amongst themselves you know they will discover who you really are.
It sounds like you didn’t know many other contractors. It’s pretty bizarre to assume you know how hundreds of different small companies set their pay scales. I have a set pay scale and progression and a clear policy on raises after that and performance bonus opportunities for guys that want more. It’s all in my employee handbook. You’re complaining about an issue you have no actual knowledge of. It makes you seem delusional.

FedGT

WRONG..

Don’t talk like you have any idea what most of us do or did. You have no clue!!

Majority of us probably all by now since they were cracking down on it HAVE HANDBOOKS!!!! Most of all this is spelled out along with performance bonuses, paid holidays, paid vacation, wages, and raises. I told everyone when they stated (AT THE SAME PAY!!!) what they had to do to get a raise faster than what was in handbook, which was show up, do your job, get done a head of time so you could take a break or help in the event of issues or breakdowns.
I had 3 employees start at $650 plus bonus my first year I was contracting and within 3 months 1 was making over $800 plus bonus and the other 2 were $750 plus bonus. I think that was a lot better than a typical yearly corporate bonus. And you know why, BECAUSE THEY EARNED IT, and earned respect!
If they did half of what you say, they wouldn’t have been with me a week. Pay them there $650 and boot their ass out the door.

I didn’t really care the length someone was employed the person dictated the wage. If you “couldn’t” do 100+ stops doesn’t matter how long you are employed you will never be $800+ driver because you aren’t hitting the thresholds to pay for yourself. If you can hit 130+ when :censored2: hits the fan and been with me less than a year you are worth way more than the other.

Last edited: