Fedex Quality Service

dezguy

I wouldn't describe people venting about their job or venting about the company as "filled with hate."

People are frustrated because people HAVE been lied to and HAVE been taken advantage of. You are one of the fortunate people to happen to work at a decently run station. Also, you haven't had to deal with stagnant pay while the guy working right next to you is topped out, as you've been topped out 99% of your career.

Personally, I come here to talk shop and vent about a company that constantly refers to itself as a people company when that couldn't be further from the truth. I certainly don't consider myself "full of hate."

bacha29

Didnt answer your question because I was on a plane coming home from the Cowboys/Packers game. Like I said earlier. This is a job, it doesnt define my life. People like you let it drive you crazy because you are so filled with hatred and mistrust. It is a job that I swipe my badge at about 0530 and again at 1730. I dont take it home and I dont think about it till the next morning. I do find it funny reading about the whiners on here crying about how their life being miserable because they hate their job.

I don't know what you consider a small station. I posted earlier that we have 60 or 70 am routes. 4 or 5 bob truck routes. I might be wrong on the numbers, I don't take the time to walk the building counting people. I don't even know many of their names and I have been there since the 70's. Lots of new people due to a rash of retirements lately. Seems like the vacation bidding involved over 90 people. I am sure that is bigger than some, smaller than others.

I have worked for so many seniors, good and bad. I don't let it bother me. I would imagine I have put at least 30 to 40 different managers # on my time card. Some good, some bad. Once again, can't let a bad manager ruin your life. I would never let a manager or a senior make me quit. Never considered it. You are the one complaining about how you hate your job. It might be time for you to consider a career change. Just practice this phrase to prepare for what you are most qualified to do. "Would you like to make your meal a combo'?
How many of today's ordinary route couriers such as yourself have the money for round trip airfare to Green Bay along with the money for NFL game tickets? Answer...few if any. The simple indisputable fact is that you continue to live in a bygone era and work for a company that once had honor, prestige integrity and base your judgement and criticism of today's couriers on your experiences from decades ago. Those days are long gone making what you have to say irrelevant. So just shut the expletive deleted up and enjoy life experiences those who follow you will have the money to enjoy for themselves.

Purplepackage

How many of today's ordinary route couriers such as yourself have the money for round trip airfare to Green Bay along with the money for NFL game tickets? Answer...few if any. The simple indisputable fact is that you continue to live in a bygone era and work for a company that once had honor, prestige integrity and base your judgement and criticism of today's couriers on your experiences from decades ago. Those days are long gone making what you have to say irrelevant. So just shut the expletive deleted up and enjoy life experiences those who follow you will have the money to enjoy for themselves.

So I'm quoting your post but it's something I'm picking out of Oldfarts original post.

He states he punches in at 0530 and out at 1730. I find it hard to believe they are letting him work 11 hours a day (based on just an hour break) at 55 hours a week he must be quite the milker

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So I'm quoting your post but it's something I'm picking out of Oldfarts original post.

He states he punches in at 0530 and out at 1730. I find it hard to believe they are letting him work 11 hours a day (based on just an hour break) at 55 hours a week he must be quite the milker

Sounds like he may be going to the airport and then delivering his route.

Oldfart

Overtime is there for the taking. Havent worked less than 50 in months. We are on 30 min. lunches when the need arises. If you want to work Saturdays, that is there if you want it as well. If I want to make some PM pu, all we need to do is tell dispatch and your pad will beep as long as you want. No idea how many hours other stations offer, but we have people working close to 60 every week. And that is on 5 days.

dezguy

Screw that! Life is too short to be at work all the time. Give me my 40 and I'm out! They don't even bother asking me if I want to work ot anymore; They know the answer.

Oldfart

LOL. I do what I want and enjoy concerts and sporting events due to a conservative lifestyle. I have never bought a new car and live in a paid for house that is much smaller than my wife and I could afford. She is retired and I work as many hours as I can to prepare for retirement. Live on less than you make. Not a big Dave Ramsey fan but I do believe in that statement that he constantly makes. While my coworkers are driving new cars with $500 car notes, I was putting that $500 on top of my house note and paid off my forever house in 13 years. Never owned a car that I had to borrow money to buy. I don't drive the prettiest cars, but they are paid for. Break down as many weeks of vacation as I can and take 3 and 4 day weekends to work on my bucket list of sporting events and attractions. I don't make any more money than many of you, I just know how to make that money go farther due to smart budgeting.

Oldfart

Screw that! Life is too short to be at work all the time. Give me my 40 and I'm out! They don't even bother asking me if I want to work ot anymore; They know the answer.
Not many successful people only work 40 hrs. Read books on the most successful people in history and see they tend to put in long days. While you only work 40 hours and wonder how you will live in retirement, hard work and sacrifice while you are working will let you live and do what you want when retirement comes.

bacha29

LOL. I do what I want and enjoy concerts and sporting events due to a conservative lifestyle. I have never bought a new car and live in a paid for house that is much smaller than my wife and I could afford. She is retired and I work as many hours as I can to prepare for retirement. Live on less than you make. Not a big Dave Ramsey fan but I do believe in that statement that he constantly makes. While my coworkers are driving new cars with $500 car notes, I was putting that $500 on top of my house note and paid off my forever house in 13 years. Never owned a car that I had to borrow money to buy. I don't drive the prettiest cars, but they are paid for. Break down as many weeks of vacation as I can and take 3 and 4 day weekends to work on my bucket list of sporting events and attractions. I don't make any more money than many of you, I just know how to make that money go farther due to smart budgeting.
Your budgeting expertise is not the issue. The issue is that the couriers that succeed you will over the same time span will work as hard as you do .produce as much value for that company you did possibly more but over that same time span they will earn less than you earned. If you were in their position you would without question feel the same way they do.

It will be fine

Not many successful people only work 40 hrs. Read books on the most successful people in history and see they tend to put in long days. While you only work 40 hours and wonder how you will live in retirement, hard work and sacrifice while you are working will let you live and do what you want when retirement comes.
I like that you are comparing yourself to the most successful people in history. You've spent your life delivering boxes, I'm sure they'll sing songs of your glory.

dezguy

Don't worry about me. My retirement is set up to pay me what I'm making now. That on top of my wife's pension, have us sitting pretty.

You don't need to work your life away in order to be comfortable in retirement.

bacha29

I like that you are comparing yourself to the most successful people in history. You've spent your life delivering boxes, I'm sure they'll sing songs of your glory.
I hear that they are making preparations at this very moment to add his pretty face to Mount Rushmore . "Oldfart is just another one of those Express lifers with a completely undeserved sense of self importance.

bacha29

Don't worry about me. My retirement is set up to pay me what I'm making now. You don't need to work your life away in order to be comfortable in retirement.
Good point D. Our friend "oldfart" gave himself up when he let it slip that he's a life long overtime hog. With all the part timers coming onto the scene the OT won't be nearly as plentiful overall as it once was. And rest assured when it comes he will cry the loudest.

Oldfart

Nope. Not comparing myself to anyone. Just stating that long hours and hard work are usually necessary to be successful. Being successful takes on many different definitions. You don't have to be a CEO or a millionaire to be successful. Webster defines success as
  • having the correct or desired result : ending in success.

• I realized years ago that I wasn't gonna out think my peers, I was gonna have to outwork them. I had a wise man tell me once. "Hard work never killed anyone, it only makes him tired"

Oldfart

Don't worry about me. My retirement is set up to pay me what I'm making now. That on top of my wife's pension, have us sitting pretty.

You don't need to work your life away in order to be comfortable in retirement.
HOW can that be? All I read on here is that FEDEX has terrible benefits and no longer has a pension. Its 401k match is lousy and insurance cost too much. How can anyone retire with dignity? Have you just proved those statements wrong?

dezguy

HOW can that be? All I read on here is that FEDEX has terrible benefits and no longer has a pension. Its 401k match is lousy and insurance cost too much. How can anyone retire with dignity? Have you just proved those statements wrong?
Not at all.

I have been saving on my own since the age of 13. Since then, I have been growing my personal rrsp, bit by bit. We don't have "401k matching" here. I'm not even sure what 401k is but I'll assume it's the equivalent at an rrsp.

My personal rrsp makes up over 75% of what my retirement fund will be, with my FedEx "retirement plan" and CPP making up the rest.

Without my FedEx "retirement plan" I will still have 85% of my working income to get me through retirement, which is the amount any financial advisor will tell you one needs to retire comfortably.

Oldfart

Good point D. Our friend "oldfart" gave himself up when he let it slip that he's a life long overtime hog. With all the part timers coming onto the scene the OT won't be nearly as plentiful overall as it once was. And rest assured when it comes he will cry the loudest.
Not a chance. OT has been that way since the 70's where I am. PART TIMERS? Lol. Many of the ones we have are afraid of work. I have 2 part time routes that give away parts of their routes to couriers in our loop because they want off by noon. My neighbor and I finish our stops and then go del the part timers stops to finish off our 10.5 to 11 hour days.

bacha29

The Express defined benefit plan and defined contribution plan together can't sustain a person in retirement. Most have other income sources mostly in the form of a working spouse with a good plan. Either that they are like you a greedy overtime hog.