FedEx Spins The DHL/UPS Deal

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Today, employees received the official memo detailing the FedEx corporate response to DHL's deal with UPS to line-haul much of their volume via UPS aircraft. The fact that most transportation analysts have stated that this was an excellent move by both UPS and DHL was, of course, ignored, and we were told that "systematic disruptions" would allow FedEx Express to see major gains in volume from DHL. It was also implied that UPS would lose packages to FedEx by partnering with DHL.

We'll see, but I tend to side with the analysts.

moreluck

golden ticket member
UPS will have the air deal with DHL. The package delivery I would think would be the customer's choice. I would think that both UPS & FDX can benefit. Fred sure can 'spin' a tall tale.

drewed

Shankman
When DHL starts making customers happier getting their packages earlier/ on time bc of UPS we ll see who really benefits from customers jumping the DHL ship

cllamont

Today, employees received the official memo detailing the FedEx corporate response to DHL's deal with UPS to line-haul much of their volume via UPS aircraft. The fact that most transportation analysts have stated that this was an excellent move by both UPS and DHL was, of course, ignored, and we were told that "systematic disruptions" would allow FedEx Express to see major gains in volume from DHL. It was also implied that UPS would lose packages to FedEx by partnering with DHL.

Where is this memo? Anyone post it?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Internal FedEx memo. If you work in the Express division there will be a copy of it posted somewhere in your station.

SmithBarney

I read it.... ok skimmed it.
But also in the memo was mention of DHL reducing its operations by 30% and closing/consolidation of centers/stations etc... I'll see if I can get a better look at it tomorrow.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

mr. friend, did the meno mention the reason for this???

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
No direct reason given, but the implication I got out of the memo was that UPS providing aircraft lift to DHL would somehow compromise UPS operations. Perhaps they are thinking it will adversely effect the ability of UPS to move all of it's own pkgs....I don't really know their rationale. I'm sure our sales reps are "warning" shippers that perhaps UPS cannot handle the increased volumes. The term "systematic disruptions", as used in the memo, is pretty vague.

COSMOS

I don't think DHL's volume will affect them at all. With the amount service cuts and rate hikes DHL's volume will dwindle. DHL uses around 35 Aircraft in the US. Compare that to 250 for UPS and 700 for FedEx. Besides, if worse came to worse it would be DHL's cans left sitting on the ramp.

candymn27

hope you guys get this deal with dhl soon. means you get to take there crap we have been taking for a couple years. besides whoever transports the freight is who will have it in 2 years anyway weather it be ups or fed ex the customers are tired of Day n Half Late dhl freight