fedex

bbsam

Staff member
In my case, it is called taking care of the customer and, who knows, maybe they will start shipping more of their stuff with us as a result.
Big picture: leaving the package and letting crappy service happen is taking care of the customer. If it is happening (and I have my doubts) then the customer can figure they are getting what they pay for with a cut rate company and move on to UPS or Express.

Oldfart

Justify your theft anyway you want to. You are still taking money from another working class American.
If Ground wouldn't let freight sit for several days without picking it up, there wouldn't be anything to STEAL? I am doing the customer a favor, Ground is doing the customer an injustice.

It will be fine

If Ground wouldn't let freight sit for several days without picking it up, there wouldn't be anything to STEAL? I am doing the customer a favor, Ground is doing the customer an injustice.

Justify your theft anyway you want to. You are still taking money from another working class American.

bbsam

Staff member
You can doubt all you want.
I do. Because it would cost the contractor too much money. I believe it's possible the customer called in a pickup and we went to the shipping department and the the shipping clerk said they didn't have anything. Or I could see a customer failing to schedule a pickup online. But just blowing it off? And lose $500 to $800? No. There's more going on than somebody just blowing off a shipper.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Case in point---local KIA dealer had 6 tires going out w/Ground. Driver told them that he didn't have room for them and would be back the next day.

They sat there for 3 days.

Had they been picked up on the first day they would have been delivered by then.

It will be fine

Case in point---local KIA dealer had 6 tires going out w/Ground. Driver told them that he didn't have room for them and would be back the next day.

Had they been picked up on the first day they would have been delivered by then.
Did you "take care of" that customer by instructing them to call in their missed pick up so the contractor got charged. Or did you take the tires yourself? Or do you only "take care of" the customer when it's easy?

bbsam

Staff member

That's unacceptable and the shipper should either demand a refund or not use Ground again.

A complaint like that in our area would get a driver fired by Fedex (ooops I mean disqualified) because it would require "scanner integrity failure". Now some companies (with a union) would get the driver's job back even though he proved to be a liar. Not so much here.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Then why do it? Just because something has no value to you doesn't remove that value from someone else. When you take that freight you are taking revenue away from a Ground contractor. If you go in my wallet, take a $5 bill and throw it away, you've still stolen from me regardless of your lack of gain.
And if you leave that same $5 bill laying around for days, SOMEBODY is going to pick it up, and that's not stealing!
I believe you're trolling, because no intelligent person should agree with you.

It will be fine

And if you leave that same $5 bill laying around for days, SOMEBODY is going to pick it up, and that's not stealing!
I believe you're trolling, because no intelligent person should agree with you.

It will be fine

You don't own any specific pkg. The customer can simply drop the pkg at any FedEx facility and you wouldn't get a dime from it.
They have that option. You as a Fedex employee going in and taking that package removes the opportunity for me to earn that revenue. Despite the false claims made here, you guys don't know if a customer called in a ground pickup or not. Making assumptions and taking the freight of another carrier is theft.

MAKAVELI

They have that option. You as a Fedex employee going in and taking that package removes the opportunity for me to earn that revenue. Despite the false claims made here, you guys don't know if a customer called in a ground pickup or not. Making assumptions and taking the freight of another carrier is theft.
I don't personally take ground pkgs for the simple reason that I don't get paid to. But legally, you don't own that pkg any more than I do. Until the label says contractor Joe Schmo inc. you really have no legal claim to it.

It will be fine

I don't personally take ground pkgs for the simple reason that I don't get paid to. But legally, you don't own that pkg any more than I do. Until the label says contractor Joe Schmo inc. you really have no legal claim to it.
No one will prosecute you for taking it, that doesn't change the fact that it represents revenue that I have every right to earn. Taking that freight takes money out of my pocket. Legality aside, that's theft.

MAKAVELI

No one will prosecute you for taking it, that doesn't change the fact that it represents revenue that I have every right to earn. Taking that freight takes money out of my pocket. Legality aside, that's theft.
I suggest you take that up with FedEx. The customer also has a right to get the service they pay for.