Feeder CPU local service area vs HUB

BobTailing

Is anyone aware of any language in the contract about local service area CPU work for feeders being made by HUB feeder drivers instead of the local service area feeder drivers? I am a local cover feeder driver and my local service area just gained a large CPU account that has the work to create multiple permenant feeder runs in my building. The only problem is that all the work is going to two different HUB's feeder drivers. I'm trying to get my own run as well as more permanent feeder positions in my building. Since this CPU is in my local service area are we able to perform this work instead of HUB drivers? P.S. all HUBs and buildings referenced are in the same local union

HFolb23

I can’t help you with specific contract language because I am not the one who filed the grievance, but my center had two FT positions created via grievances filed for similar issues (in addition to contractors moving loads). My BA and one of the drivers did all the leg work, I was out on leave when he called me and said “when you're back to work you’re going to go qualify in feeder”.

I will reach out to him Monday if we can’t get an answer here first.

BobTailing

I can’t help you with specific contract language because I am not the one who filed the grievance, but my center had two FT positions created via grievances filed for similar issues (in addition to contractors moving loads). My BA and one of the drivers did all the leg work, I was out on leave when he called me and said “when you're back to work you’re going to go qualify in feeder”.

I will reach out to him Monday if we can’t get an answer here first.
Sounds good! We also have contractors moving loads but its peak right now. Hopefully we can get it all sorted out by the beginning of the year. I'm just trying to get more info as far as the contract and other drivers experiences.

Overpaid Union Thug

Is anyone aware of any language in the contract about local service area CPU work for feeders being made by HUB feeder drivers instead of the local service area feeder drivers? I am a local cover feeder driver and my local service area just gained a large CPU account that has the work to create multiple permenant feeder runs in my building. The only problem is that all the work is going to two different HUB's feeder drivers. I'm trying to get my own run as well as more permanent feeder positions in my building. Since this CPU is in my local service area are we able to perform this work instead of HUB drivers? P.S. all HUBs and buildings referenced are in the same local union
If your local is like mine then don’t expect them to ACTUALLY help you guys in the smaller buildings. They won’t risk losing votes for the next election by going against the hub guys. It doesn’t even matter that the CPU work is in your buildings “jurisdiction.” But you can bet your ass that if you guys got sent into the hub’s area for a CPU run they’d have that squashed ASAP. It’s a frustrating situation for sure. Your center manager might actually be the best person to help. If your building can stand to gain the volume from those CPUs.

Feeder665

Go big or go home!
I am in Northern California joint council 7 area.

We have a rule that the local center does the cpu pickups, and takes it to the center. From there, the local / twilight sort can choose to process that trailer or forward it to a hub. A hub driver then has a right to retrieve that trailer, only from the center property. Hub drivers are not supposed to do cpu pickups from centers territories. However, I have seen it done in extreme cases. We just had some neighboring centers win this with grievances.

BobTailing

I am in Northern California joint council 7 area.

We have a rule that the local center does the cpu pickups, and takes it to the center. From there, the local / twilight sort can choose to process that trailer or forward it to a hub. A hub driver then has a right to retrieve that trailer, only from the center property. Hub drivers are not supposed to do cpu pickups from centers territories. However, I have seen it done in extreme cases. We just had some neighboring centers win this with grievances.
Good info! Do you know the article(s) that contain information related to this?

BobTailing

If your local is like mine then don’t expect them to ACTUALLY help you guys in the smaller buildings. They won’t risk losing votes for the next election by going against the hub guys. It doesn’t even matter that the CPU work is in your buildings “jurisdiction.” But you can bet your ass that if you guys got sent into the hub’s area for a CPU run they’d have that squashed ASAP. It’s a frustrating situation for sure. Your center manager might actually be the best person to help. If your building can stand to gain the volume from those CPUs.
So did they say the work had to be sorted locally in order for the local building drivers to make the pick ups?

quad decade guy

Sometimes you win...sometimes not.

We worked at a medium size hub. We had cpu to a certain area/areas. Other Hubs had theirs....sometimes for hundreds of miles.

We had other Hubs come into our area and take volume directly back to their hubs because it was going there anyway.

We mostly lost volume to other hubs...rarely being able to "follow" work. Our runs would "disappear" and "appear" other places.

The Union rarely did much of anything....despite clear circumstances. The Company pretty much does what it needs to.

In the end.....our hubs feeder operations were split between two mega hubs and cpu work is done for our old hub by them. Just like that. Following work to either of these hubs was done by seniority and tough luck if you got screwed. Some having to double their commutes. Or worse. This is called change of operation and can include just about anything...including by "local agreement".....this means despite the written language the Company and Union can change/agree to just about anything. I have seen it done many times. I've seen feeder drivers allowed to dovetail hundreds of miles despite not having a clear run. Again, hundreds screwed for a few.
My only comment to this is about Feeder Managers.....I have yet to encounter one that cares about volume/employees. My experience has been that they try to shed as much volume and drivers as possible. Adding as few as possible. This cuts down on training and all that goes with it. This make s mgt.s life a lot easier. They will do as much as possible to achieve such.

Overpaid Union Thug

This has not been my experience in 40 years. Around here....more volume means more expense....a big no no. More headaches...more time away from home. Simply unheard of.
I meant center manager. An extended center manager is responsible for local sort as well as preload and package. If they can combine the CPU work with already existing work (or if it’s enough to create a completely new feeder job) some will if it results in more volume coming through their building. They don’t like forwarding it to the hub for that reason.

And it cuts costs from the hub letting local drivers handle it since they (hub feeders) don’t have to send drivers out of the way. That’s a win/win for the feeder dept and extended center. Where I’m at anyway.

Last edited:

Feeder665

Go big or go home!
Good info! Do you know the article(s) that contain information related to this?
This is what I could find off hand. NorCal supplement Article 31, section 1 paragraph 6.

Best I could do on the fly.

Attachments

• FFB01039-FBDA-4DF7-8C47-882490B17BFA.jpeg
    FFB01039-FBDA-4DF7-8C47-882490B17BFA.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 87

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
This has not been my experience in 40 years. Around here....more volume means more expense....a big no no. More headaches...more time away from home. Simply unheard of.
You really don’t have any idea how this place works or economics in general do you
More volume means more revenue why such a Debbie Downer all the time

quad decade guy

You really don’t have any idea how this place works or economics in general do you
More volume means more revenue why such a Debbie Downer all the time
Well.....

I understand economics.....

However, that doesn't necessarily transfer to UPS mgt.

Here are a few Simple examples you might understand...maybe...

Our former center mgr. gave away any runs he could and also turned down runs that could be run out of our hub. Why? Simply less headaches and work. Less planning, OJS's, employees....on and on. Tractor utilization being huge. These guys work 12 hour days...they don't want 14 hour days...Anyone with a modicum of experience knows this. Keeping a small office staff that stays for years is much easier to manage and rely on. They also know what they are doing. Anyone also knows UPS will spend a dollar to save a dime.

I work as directed. I know when I've been directed to do something counter-productive.....I just shrug and do it. They never ask me.

When I delivered pkgs.....I saw many lost accounts because of mgt. decisions.....they never cared. Lost accounts to this day from the strike. So, it goes both ways.

Don't lecture me about how UPS works.

Your simplistic, hateful bullying adds nothing.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Well.....

I understand economics.....

However, that doesn't necessarily transfer to UPS mgt.

Here are a few Simple examples you might understand...maybe...

Our former center mgr. gave away any runs he could and also turned down runs that could be run out of our hub. Why? Simply less headaches and work. Less planning, OJS's, employees....on and on. Tractor utilization being huge. These guys work 12 hour days...they don't want 14 hour days...Anyone with a modicum of experience knows this. Keeping a small office staff that stays for years is much easier to manage and rely on. They also know what they are doing. Anyone also knows UPS will spend a dollar to save a dime.

I work as directed. I know when I've been directed to do something counter-productive.....I just shrug and do it. They never ask me.

When I delivered pkgs.....I saw many lost accounts because of mgt. decisions.....they never cared. Lost accounts to this day from the strike. So, it goes both ways.

Don't lecture me about how UPS works.

Your simplistic, hateful bullying adds nothing.
Wat?
SMDH!!