Feeder CPU local service area vs HUB

HFolb23

You really don’t have any idea how this place works or economics in general do you
More volume means more revenue why such a Debbie Downer all the time
I understand what you’re saying and really don’t disagree with the principal of what you’re saying, but to be fair, more volume doesn’t necessarily mean “good” revenue.

Amazon is/was a great example of that, the margins on Amazon are/were so low that they were hardly worth the space in our system. Not to mention they had all three major carriers by the balls because whenever someone had any beef with Amazon, they would just pile it on to someone else who could barely handle it. Amazon absolutely murdered the post office when FedEx (express maybe?) dropped them and UPS pissed them off (might’ve been when UPS put the premium pricing on oversizes, can’t recall exactly). The PO I delivered too was 4 days behind on Amazon volume at one point, and couldn’t really plan on just buying more trucks or hiring more drivers because at any moment Amazon could shift volume to someone else. On that note, SurePost packages are another example where more volume doesn’t necessarily equate to profitable loads. I absolutely HATE the “better not bigger” BS this company spews, but sometimes cutting out extremely low margin work isn’t always a bad thing.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You really don’t have any idea how this place works or economics in general do you
More volume means more revenue why such a Debbie Downer all the time
I have been treated 100x better in feeder by mgt than any of the years I was in pkg…don’t get me wrong, feeder and their mgt is still ups but it has been night and day.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
This has not been my experience in 40 years. Around here....more volume means more expense....a big no no. More headaches...more time away from home. Simply unheard of.
So how can you say this when areas are adding hundreds of feeder driver… hmmm, seems like a huge expense to me, but they still are hiring…and it’s not solely because of sleeper runs…mgt isn’t even blinking an eye over it..

quad decade guy

So how can you say this when areas are adding hundreds of feeder driver… hmmm, seems like a huge expense to me, but they still are hiring…and it’s not solely because of sleeper runs…mgt isn’t even blinking an eye over it..
I was talking about your point to a friend this morning. I agree.....but as I told him....there is something just not quite right. Peak here has been very....eerily quiet. I don't know what that means. My run last night went to a very large city and it didn't have much traffic. Covid is too unpredictable...

BobTailing

I can’t help you with specific contract language because I am not the one who filed the grievance, but my center had two FT positions created via grievances filed for similar issues (in addition to contractors moving loads). My BA and one of the drivers did all the leg work, I was out on leave when he called me and said “when you're back to work you’re going to go qualify in feeder”.

I will reach out to him Monday if we can’t get an answer here first.
Were you ever able to find out more details about the grievances? Was it ultimately determined that the work belonged to the center and not the hub?

govols019

You smell that?
I was talking about your point to a friend this morning. I agree.....but as I told him....there is something just not quite right. Peak here has been very....eerily quiet. I don't know what that means. My run last night went to a very large city and it didn't have much traffic. Covid is too unpredictable...
A friend? LOL

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Is anyone aware of any language in the contract about local service area CPU work for feeders being made by HUB feeder drivers instead of the local service area feeder drivers? I am a local cover feeder driver and my local service area just gained a large CPU account that has the work to create multiple permenant feeder runs in my building. The only problem is that all the work is going to two different HUB's feeder drivers. I'm trying to get my own run as well as more permanent feeder positions in my building. Since this CPU is in my local service area are we able to perform this work instead of HUB drivers? P.S. all HUBs and buildings referenced are in the same local union
@BobTailing , there was a member on here with a very similar scenario. He was a cover feeder driver, in an 'outlying' center-Central Region. Unfortunately there didn't seem to be any supporting contract language (or union leverage, or a business case to be made). His screen name was "Barnyard". You could search through his past posts. Sadly, he passed away earlier this year.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
@BobTailing , there was a member on here with a very similar scenario. He was a cover feeder driver, in an 'outlying' center-Central Region. Unfortunately there didn't seem to be any supporting contract language (or union leverage, or a business case to be made). His screen name was "Barnyard". You could search through his past posts. Sadly, he passed away earlier this year.
I’ve been gone for awhile from BC…first I’ve heard of this bad news about Barnyard…are you able to elaborate more on what happen to him. Always liked his posts and personality on here…

Last edited:

Whither

Scofflaw
I’ve been gone for awhile from BC…first I’ve heard of this bad news about Barnyard…are you able to elaborate more on what happen to him. Always liked his posts and personality on here…
It's a shame. If I remember correctly Barnyard died in a biking accident. His wife created a thread to let us know; it's been at least half a year I think.

It's a shame. If I remember correctly Barnyard died in a biking accident. His wife created a thread to let us know; it's been at least half a year I think.
Wow, I missed that. He and I were in a similar situation working backup feeder and peak coverage. We chatted and shared info/experiences about it. Damn.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
Wow, I missed that. He and I were in a similar situation working backup feeder and peak coverage. We chatted and shared info/experiences about it. Damn.
Dude seemed like a solid guy…hope he’s riding like a boss somewhere magical