Feeder driver questions

YourCO

I thought the "ask a feeder driver" thing was pinned somewhere, but I can't find it, so sorry for the duplication, I know these are common questions.

1) If I eff up while trying to qualify as a feeder driver--or just wind up hating it--can you just go back to package? Or do you have to bid your way back?

2) Is feeder seniority based on total time with the company or just in feeders? In other words, is it better to go to feeders quickly or wait?

3) What do your routes and schedule look like as a low seniority feeder driver in a pretty large, major airport adjacent hub?

Atlantic supplement, if relevant.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

Thread was literally on the first page. Good luck driving a tractor trailer. Holy hell.

Thread was literally on the first page. Good luck driving a tractor trailer. Holy hell.
You see some of the screw balls I have driving a tractor trailer?

He is definitely a shoe in.

12KKxc48IPgFBS.gif

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
I thought the "ask a feeder driver" thing was pinned somewhere, but I can't find it, so sorry for the duplication, I know these are common questions.

1) If I eff up while trying to qualify as a feeder driver--or just wind up hating it--can you just go back to package? Or do you have to bid your way back?

2) Is feeder seniority based on total time with the company or just in feeders? In other words, is it better to go to feeders quickly or wait?

3) What do your routes and schedule look like as a low seniority feeder driver in a pretty large, major airport adjacent hub?

1. If you didn’t qualify in feeders you will go back to what you were doing before. If you made seniority, you will have to bid back.

2. Depends on your local. In mine, we have what’s called classification seniority which means your seniority in package does not dovetail (follow you) into feeders. Other locals, it does.

3. Depends on how many feeder runs are available at your hub. You will probably start off as cover feeder so you will have to bid every week on a different run until you win a bid run. Get used to driving at night.

quad decade guy

1. If you didn’t qualify in feeders you will go back to what you were doing before. If you made seniority, you will have to bid back.

2. Depends on your local. In mine, we have what’s called classification seniority which means your seniority in package does not dovetail (follow you) into feeders. Other locals, it does.

3. Depends on how many feeder runs are available at your hub. You will probably start off as cover feeder so you will have to bid every week on a different run until you win a bid run. Get used to driving at night.
I agree on all except this^(1).
Here, you can't bid back to pkg really. Unless you call going to the very bottom of seniority.....very last. Which is a real kick in the crotch being you might have been first when you went to feeders. Or displace the 2 lowest hub guys for hub pay....to load/unload trailers....

I'm not sure who negotiated our supplement way back when....but thought this is a great system...

I've advocated for change but can't get a vote....we often have feeder local leadership.....they won't even consider it. I'm not sure why as they could generally benefit.

PCM Troll

What's a tractor trailer? I thought you guys drove 18 wheelers.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

1)If you DQ you go back to your route in package. If you qualify you'll keep your bid route in package as long as you're on the Q list and you can run it whenever feeders doesn't have work for you. If and when you bid into a FT feeder position you'll give up that option and if you get laid off from feeders your only option will be to work package as a cover driver or stay home.
Feeders is a 2 year commitment, after that you can bid back to package if you want. If you're still on the Q list after 2 years you can request to be taken off it so feeders can't use you anymore.

2) You keep your seniority in the Atlantic, if you have 25 years in package you'll have 25 years in feeders. Whether or not you want to wait that long depends on how you feel about package.

3) Can't really tell ya other than that you'll be a cover driver and at a large hub that means you might be working days one week and nights the next.