Feeder Driving Test

"Phil"

Full time temp feeder job is more like it ,, you will cover vacations for the summer on mostly a full time basis , let go , after vaca season and if they like you ,, you're called back for the Christmas Rush (peak) ,,, I am a feeder driver, and know how it works !! Test ,, seat belt on when ever wheels are in motion, two hands on wheel at all times , double clutch, keep checking mirrors , follow up on turns , no shifting in a turn ,, hope this helps , oh ,, always go under & check pin Good luck
What else can you tell me about Feeder Driver that you think I might need or would like to know?

barnyard

KTM rider
Reading over openings at the UPS jobs site, it looks like they are being very, very vague. There is nothing in the language about any temp drivers, small package or feeder. Most of the package and feeder listings are temp listings, no 2 ways about it. UPS hires temps to cover summer vacations and again at peak. 99% of those are let go or told if they want to stay to go to the warehouse.

If they are telling you that you will work in the warehouse after Sept. You are being hired as a summer temp. You will be offered temp work in the summer and again at peak until you have enough seniority to sign a FT bid. That could be years. That also means no raises until you sign a FT bid and once signed, you have to work through progression.

When you ask during your road test, the supe is going to say, "It is a temp job but if you do everything perfect and are available every second of every day, you might have a chance."

When you work in the warehouse, it will be for $9.50 or $10 an hour, with a 3 hour a day guarantee. As a temp driver, you will have no FT guarantee.

If I had a government gig, that is where I would stay. Your pension is WAY more secure than anything UPS offers.

"Phil"

Reading over openings at the UPS jobs site, it looks like they are being very, very vague. There is nothing in the language about any temp drivers, small package or feeder. Most of the package and feeder listings are temp listings, no 2 ways about it. UPS hires temps to cover summer vacations and again at peak. 99% of those are let go or told if they want to stay to go to the warehouse.

If they are telling you that you will work in the warehouse after Sept. You are being hired as a summer temp. You will be offered temp work in the summer and again at peak until you have enough seniority to sign a FT bid. That could be years. That also means no raises until you sign a FT bid and once signed, you have to work through progression.

When you ask during your road test, the supe is going to say, "It is a temp job but if you do everything perfect and are available every second of every day, you might have a chance."

When you work in the warehouse, it will be for $9.50 or $10 an hour, with a 3 hour a day guarantee. As a temp driver, you will have no FT guarantee.

If I had a government gig, that is where I would stay. Your pension is WAY more secure than anything UPS offers.

Thanks for your information. Here is the email that was sent to me about the job; prior to the info session which basically covered the same information.

Thank you for your interest the UPS Feeder Driver position. It is a unique position on how we schedule drivers and routes. It is a challenge finding a qualified candidate that is willing to agree upon the hours and work days. I’m going to try and explain it well in this email. Then if you are interested, I will have an information and Q&A session here at the Middleton facility. This is the central office for what we call Area 2 Feeders. After the session, we will do 1 on 1 interviews if you are still interested. If interested, go back to www.upsjobs.com and complete your application that I added to your profile. Just click returning to complete application at the top of the main page. Then you will be able to book your first appointment.

Qualification requirements: Must be at least 21 years old, meet appearance guidelines (you may file for religious accommodation); have ability to drive manual transmission, pass a road test and DOT physical. Cannot have any moving violations, accidents, suspensions or revocations in the last year. Cannot have any more than 3 moving violations and cannot have any DUI’s or OUI’s within the last 3 years. Must have a valid WI driver’s License and CDL with ABCD and T endorsements. Must have at least 2 years of driving experience.

1. Our more senior drivers have set routes. As the newest member, you would have to cover routes as needed. During our off periods, you may not get work every day. During the heavy periods like the summer and holiday seasons, you will get more on road work. Our slow period is between January and May. As the newest member, you will be mainly be on call and used as coverage during these months and may not have Driver work every day. You can work in the inside in the warehouse if not driving. During our Peak Holiday season, you will get a lot of work and usually a lot of overtime. You should have a financial plan in place as January through April, you may not get a lot of driver work for the first 2 years or so until you get a set route. If you work in the warehouse during these times and save your overtime from the peak season, you should be able to make this work. Once you get a set permanent route, you can count on work every day.

2. You will be gaining seniority even if you don’t drive every day. Every quarter, you bid on permanent routes and the person with the most seniority gets the top choice. The folks with the least seniority may not get a set a route and you will be filling into those routes covering for vacations and increases in volume, etc..

3. We call this team Area 2 Feeders. Our areas of coverage include La Crosse, Lake Delton/Baraboo, Middleton, Madison, Janesville, and Dodgeville. It could happen that you pick your load up in La Crosse one day, and then Janesville the next. Or you may fill in for La Crosse one week, then Madison the next week. You have to be willing to travel to each of these areas. For example, if we need to do a run out of La Crosse...you will leave home and drive directly to La Crosse. You will pick up your trailer there and make your run. You will return to La Crosse with another load at the end of the shift. Then you will drive home.

4. Driver pay starting is $18.75 per hour. As you go through your progression, after 4 years, you will hit top rate of $35.09 per hour. Those years are still counted towards your UPS pension. Even if you are off that week, you still get your pension amount added to the pension fund. You will be building your seniority while adding to your pension.

5. Hours for the routes can vary. We have about 25% of the routes that start somewhere between 3am and 3pm. The rest of the 75% start between 3pm and 3am. That adds another challenge as new drivers are typically working those evening and over-night routes.

P

pickup

Asked the question if job was full-time, HR said "yes". I will have more work than I can handle during summer, holidays and peak time. However, I will probably be laid-off from Jan-Apr, but would have guaranteed work in the warehouse during this time at package handler wages.

Thanks for your information. Here is the email that was sent to me about the job; prior to the info session which basically covered the same information.

Thank you for your interest the UPS Feeder Driver position. It is a unique position on how we schedule drivers and routes. It is a challenge finding a qualified candidate that is willing to agree upon the hours and work days. I’m going to try and explain it well in this email. Then if you are interested, I will have an information and Q&A session here at the Middleton facility. This is the central office for what we call Area 2 Feeders. After the session, we will do 1 on 1 interviews if you are still interested. If interested, go back to www.upsjobs.com and complete your application that I added to your profile. Just click returning to complete application at the top of the main page. Then you will be able to book your first appointment.

Qualification requirements: Must be at least 21 years old, meet appearance guidelines (you may file for religious accommodation); have ability to drive manual transmission, pass a road test and DOT physical. Cannot have any moving violations, accidents, suspensions or revocations in the last year. Cannot have any more than 3 moving violations and cannot have any DUI’s or OUI’s within the last 3 years. Must have a valid WI driver’s License and CDL with ABCD and T endorsements. Must have at least 2 years of driving experience.

1. Our more senior drivers have set routes. As the newest member, you would have to cover routes as needed. During our off periods, you may not get work every day. During the heavy periods like the summer and holiday seasons, you will get more on road work. Our slow period is between January and May. As the newest member, you will be mainly be on call and used as coverage during these months and may not have Driver work every day. You can work in the inside in the warehouse if not driving. During our Peak Holiday season, you will get a lot of work and usually a lot of overtime. You should have a financial plan in place as January through April, you may not get a lot of driver work for the first 2 years or so until you get a set route. If you work in the warehouse during these times and save your overtime from the peak season, you should be able to make this work. Once you get a set permanent route, you can count on work every day.

2. You will be gaining seniority even if you don’t drive every day. Every quarter, you bid on permanent routes and the person with the most seniority gets the top choice. The folks with the least seniority may not get a set a route and you will be filling into those routes covering for vacations and increases in volume, etc..

3. We call this team Area 2 Feeders. Our areas of coverage include La Crosse, Lake Delton/Baraboo, Middleton, Madison, Janesville, and Dodgeville. It could happen that you pick your load up in La Crosse one day, and then Janesville the next. Or you may fill in for La Crosse one week, then Madison the next week. You have to be willing to travel to each of these areas. For example, if we need to do a run out of La Crosse...you will leave home and drive directly to La Crosse. You will pick up your trailer there and make your run. You will return to La Crosse with another load at the end of the shift. Then you will drive home.

4. Driver pay starting is $18.75 per hour. As you go through your progression, after 4 years, you will hit top rate of $35.09 per hour. Those years are still counted towards your UPS pension. Even if you are off that week, you still get your pension amount added to the pension fund. You will be building your seniority while adding to your pension.

5. Hours for the routes can vary. We have about 25% of the routes that start somewhere between 3am and 3pm. The rest of the 75% start between 3pm and 3am. That adds another challenge as new drivers are typically working those evening and over-night routes.

Ok, at least it is in writing but I never heard of a pension being added to for a week that a driver doesn't work. Also, I assume that Wisconsin is in the Central States Pension fund. I don't know if you know this, but that pension fund is in serious trouble and any pension you manage to get ain't gonna be great.

So are you sure you want to trade a secure civil service job for a not so secure job driving a tractor trailer through the Wisconsin ice and snow?

And when do your medical benefits kick in, assuming you get them? I can tell you that they kick in quite a few months down the road. And we also have a contractual glitch that if you don't work in a given week,you don't have medical coverage for that week.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Wisconsin local 344 is not in the central states pension fund.
You do have to have 1 punch a week to maintain health and pension benefits

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
also, was told that when I am not driving I was guaranteed work in the warehouse, but at package handler wages, but driver seniority still counted.

This sounds like how it works at my location. If laid off we can go pack into the building or go to package car if they need us (if we are package qualified). I believe my supplement says if you are on the Super Q list and laid off they must train you in package.

Like the post a few spots up we also need one punch per week to maintain health coverage so some weeks it's either the building or burn a sick/option day to maintain health coverage for the bottom seniority guys.

To me this sounds like you would be treated like a part-time employee who has won a bid to feeders. I thought the temporary guys who came in and got laid off/fired after a few months came in at a higher pay rate.

"Phil"

Ok, at least it is in writing but I never heard of a pension being added to for a week that a driver doesn't work. Also, I assume that Wisconsin is in the Central States Pension fund. I don't know if you know this, but that pension fund is in serious trouble and any pension you manage to get ain't gonna be great.

So are you sure you want to trade a secure civil service job for a not so secure job driving a tractor trailer through the Wisconsin ice and snow?

And when do your medical benefits kick in, assuming you get them? I can tell you that they kick in quite a few months down the road. And we also have a contractual glitch that if you don't work in a given week,you don't have medical coverage for that week.
I am retired from the Air Force, so medical coverage is not an issue for me. Thanks for your input

"Phil"

Wisconsin local 344 is not in the central states pension fund.
You do have to have 1 punch a week to maintain health and pension benefits
Do you work in Wisconsin? If so, where? Are you a Feeder Driver? Info please about HOW it really works if you are, thanks!!!

"Phil"

I am in area 1. The email you got from hr is exactly how it works.
Thanks. That's, a load off my mind. So, I should be go to go. Just get through the first couple of years or so, get a set route and I should be golden. Can you give me any tips about Area 2?