Feeder Question

So the folks who were PT and then became FT--what date would you use for their seniority and where they would fall on the list?

Company hire date for both. Stay a PT, then all the pt's by hire date. Go FT, then all the FT by hire date. The folks who want seniority to have value now have it.

W

want to retire

Well well, an issue near and dear to my heart. Here in good ole Texas, you go to the bottom when you change classifications. And, it can be a multi decade wait just to bid feeders or make seniority(in feeders). You have to make seniority(again)(for me, that was 30 years ago). I had mentioned alot of this stuff in my 31.4 years in the saddle post. Most folks go to feeders to relieve tired, worn out bodies to extend their careers(like me). I can't physically do pkg anymore. There are alot of ins and outs and ways to look at this situation. To a guy from the street, it sucks(being bumped), to a guy who has paid his dues-it sucks(being bumped). The guys at the top(and some of them stumbled into a rare gift) will never do anything to jeopardize their placement on the seniority list. So they vote the status quo. And it never changes. Then again, some folks take it up the wazoo better than some......Personally(and yes, I realize I would benefit somewhat....) "super" full time seniority would be fairest of all. Make the list from full time hire date on down and bid. Yes, some losers and some winners. Just like moving vaction availability to Jan.(it used to be the date of your hire-for me July as an example)(in other words you couldn't get that second week until July). OK. This would reward the long timers as I believe it should. It would also nullify all the weird deals, moves, closures of buildings, off the street deals and so forth. Flexibility and mobility would move this company out of the dark ages and perhaps, make it a better place to work. I also realize this occurs in some locals and good for them. From my view, it seems that as you "progress"(in years) through the company....it should get better, right? Why then, as you bid up(and that seems to be from part time to pkg to feeders), do you end up at the bottom? You know- crap vacation, on call, miserable hours, sleep depravation on and on and on.....You might not see it my way. But, now you see why I'm considering retiring while being at the "top" with 31.4 years........

W

want to retire

It's the same for going FT. If a ptimer passes on their opportunity to go driving, by seniority, and chose to go later they don't get to dovetail in to that list. If people want a one date list it should be company seniority period. From the date you started bleeding for this company. There would be a one date PT list and a one date FT list.

Amen.

Well well, an issue near and dear to my heart. Here in good ole Texas, you go to the bottom when you change classifications. And, it can be a multi decade wait just to bid feeders or make seniority(in feeders). You have to make seniority(again)(for me, that was 30 years ago). I had mentioned alot of this stuff in my 31.4 years in the saddle post. Most folks go to feeders to relieve tired, worn out bodies to extend their careers(like me). I can't physically do pkg anymore. There are alot of ins and outs and ways to look at this situation. To a guy from the street, it sucks(being bumped), to a guy who has paid his dues-it sucks(being bumped). The guys at the top(and some of them stumbled into a rare gift) will never do anything to jeopardize their placement on the seniority list. So they vote the status quo. And it never changes. Then again, some folks take it up the wazoo better than some......Personally(and yes, I realize I would benefit somewhat....) "super" full time seniority would be fairest of all. Make the list from full time hire date on down and bid. Yes, some losers and some winners. Just like moving vaction availability to Jan.(it used to be the date of your hire-for me July as an example)(in other words you couldn't get that second week until July). OK. This would reward the long timers as I believe it should. It would also nullify all the weird deals, moves, closures of buildings, off the street deals and so forth. Flexibility and mobility would move this company out of the dark ages and perhaps, make it a better place to work. I also realize this occurs in some locals and good for them. From my view, it seems that as you "progress"(in years) through the company....it should get better, right? Why then, as you bid up(and that seems to be from part time to pkg to feeders), do you end up at the bottom? You know- crap vacation, on call, miserable hours, sleep depravation on and on and on.....You might not see it my way. But, now you see why I'm considering retiring while being at the "top" with 31.4 years........

Why start when one reaches FT? You're life has value. You blood and sweat has value. From the date of hire you are in the service of the company for the good and bad.
Want to put all your years in PT? Then with enough years you be king ding-dong. Want to go FT? Then you'll find yourself with like minded individuals and be in the middle of the group. But no matter what job you take the day you entered service will be THE date.

As a side note, when you go from pkg to feeder here you still get to pick vacations by the FT date so one would not get crap vaca's just because of taking the new job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

cach, I was on my meal break during our last exchange. When I punched out tonight I went to the employee bulletin board and read the FT seniority list, which has both the FT seniority date and PT hire date. I have more seniority than 7 other employees who have more company seniority--2 of them are drivers.

I am biased but I like the classification seniority system.

Mine is by classification also. I can't say as I am "pro-classification" as it was here long before me. I win some and lose some based on it. I'm a big believer in personal responsibility. One chooses, by seniority, to advance or stay. Don't cry to others about that choice.

My argument is forget the FT date if one wants a single date style board. It disrespects the years some have put in to get to said coveted position. It's also hypocritical to overlook it and argue ones place in the line up based on FT dates yet with wide margins in the company hire date and years of service. I feel it would be very simple. A PT board and a FT board both by date of hire at UPS. If one advances to FT or choses to go back to PT it's all by the one true date that matters.

Omega man

As soon as you divide up seniority into different classifications you no longer honor its purpose. Seniority is supposed to give more and better opportunities to workers as they accrue time in a Union. The International should force all Locals to have consistent seniority rules.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As soon as you divide up seniority into different classifications you no longer honor its purpose. Seniority is supposed to give more and better opportunities to workers as they accrue time in a Union. The International should force all Locals to have consistant seniority rules.

...keeping the contract in mind, which includes the 6:1 hiring ratio, while doing so.

As soon as you divide up seniority into different classifications you no longer honor its purpose. Seniority is supposed to give more and better opportunities to workers as they accrue time in a Union. The International should force all Locals to have consistent seniority rules.

Wouldn't the International be the one that allowed the inconsistency in the first place?

menotyou

bella amicizia
Wouldn't the International be the one that allowed the inconsistency in the first place?
BINGO!!!!!! If a woman ran that place, things would be a LOT different. (this is not a Sandy Pope ad, nor is it meant to in any way infer anything other than a funny joke)

Hi all, I'm new to this board and I have a question about feeder seniority when hired into the feeder ranks. Does the district you work in have a hiring red line? meaning you lose your full time seniority and have to start at the bottom again upon being hired into a feeder position.Or do you get to keep your original full time seniority hire date upon being hired into feeder?If you area does or doesn't, I'd like to know how you feel about it and the reason it should or shouldn't exist.I'd love to hear your views on this, thanks....

Qualified until you win a permanent bid at which point you dovetail in.