Female Sorters

SorterRosie

I find myself working exhaustively in order to try and prove to all my co-workers (which are all men) that I can sort just as well as they can. Just here looking for some conversation with sorters/female sorters. Or other female UPSers

SorterRosie

Do you feel that you have been getting preferential treatment hence your need to "prove yourself" to your co-workers?
I'm personal friends with my supervisor, so yes, in the beginning I felt as though I got preferential treatment...but not anymore. I still just want to show that I can sort and lift heavy :censored2: and prove that women can do the job just as well.

Justaloader

I'm personal friends with my supervisor, so yes, in the beginning I felt as though I got preferential treatment...but not anymore. I still just want to show that I can sort and lift heavy :censored2: and prove that women can do the job just as well.

I, for one, respect that attitude. We have a few female sorters in my hub, along with a few female sups. I've seen two of the sups roll up their sleeves and throw irregs around just like the guys do, and one of the sups is maybe 5'5, and can't weigh more than 150 lbs with soaking wet clothes on. Any female that's willing to roll up her sleeves and bust her ass just as hard as anyone else that works there = respect from me.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
From one woman to another, and as someone who has worked with mostly men for many years, yes, you do have to prove yourself or they will never respect you. They will think you got where you are because of who you know. If your body hurts, take Aleve/Advil. Don’t be THAT woman the guys think will run to HR after the first off-color joke. Yes, you do need to establish boundaries but I’ve found things go over a lot easier with humor. It’s great working around guys. I prefer it much more than working with women. Guys are more fun.

SorterRosie

I, for one, respect that attitude. We have a few female sorters in my hub, along with a few female sups. I've seen two of the sups roll up their sleeves and throw irregs around just like the guys do, and one of the sups is maybe 5'5, and can't weigh more than 150 lbs with soaking wet clothes on. Any female that's willing to roll up her sleeves and bust her ass just as hard as anyone else that works there = respect from me.
Thanks for saying that. Kudos to your female staff and to your hub

SorterRosie

From one woman to another, and as someone who has worked with mostly men for many years, yes, you do have to prove yourself or they will never respect you. They will think you got where you are because of who you know. If your body hurts, take Aleve/Advil. Don’t be THAT woman the guys think will run to HR after the first off-color joke. Yes, you do need to establish boundaries but I’ve found things go over a lot easier with humor. It’s great working around guys. I prefer it much more than working with women. Guys are more fun.
I 100% agree.....there's this one woman who used to sort with us and she had issues with everybody...always yelling and complaining about something. And I know the guys hated working with her....now she gone because she got replaced....by me. So I just want to prove that not all women are whiney bitches and can actually do the work. Kudos to you

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I don't care how fast you sort. What is this? An actual job? HA HA HA NO. It's an oversized adult daycare.

Don't hurt your back,
Don't hurt your knees,
at adult daycare.

Nah

Hopefully you grieved those sups and got paid for it.

542thruNthru

Lol...don't wear panties.

So... yeah...
tenor-58.gif

Have i told you how good of a sorter I think you are?..

Justaloader

Hopefully you grieved those sups and got paid for it.

Nope. Sups work every day in our hub after they send the "workers" home. It's normal practice - the steward knows it goes on, the union knows it goes on, and nothing gets done about it. Already ran that flag up the flag pole and had my hand slapped. Me, personally, I stay out of the politics now. I come in, bust my ass, collect my check, and go home.