542thruNthru

No I applied and was to be a driver. A brown truck. But they told me it was my 28 days and said labor decided it wasn’t going to work. So I was to start with Preload Monday. I asked what they meant by labor and they never gave me a straight answer. I still can’t get any straight answers about what happened and why I wasn’t granted an extension like everyone else. The other Safety coordinator for the hub said that this should’ve never happened and I needed to fight it. He told me I was to talk to the Regional Manager but he didn’t seem to care at all.
No offense but you just don't seem to retain information well at all. You applied but don't know what the position was called. All of that should have been on the job you applied for. Go back and look. You sure it wasn't a seasonal position?

rjh9189

No offense but you just don't seem to retain information well at all. You applied but don't know what the position was called. All of that should have been on the job you applied for. Go back and look. You sure it wasn't a seasonal position?
No it wasn’t a seasonal position. I was actually told originally in July that it would be a Full Time Driver position. When I got to training in August, they said I was to be called part-time but would probably work the full 40. And I could apply for a full time position next July when there is a bid.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
No I applied and was to be a driver. A brown truck. But they told me it was my 28 days and said labor decided it wasn’t going to work. So I was to start with Preload Monday. I asked what they meant by labor and they never gave me a straight answer. I still can’t get any straight answers about what happened and why I wasn’t granted an extension like everyone else. The other Safety coordinator for the hub said that this should’ve never happened and I needed to fight it. He told me I was to talk to the Regional Manager but he didn’t seem to care at all.
Face the facts.

All these pages going on and on are pointless.

You were not as good of a driver as the other people hired with you.

Take the preload and stay out of the way for a while.

Your time will come again and when it does...

Don't be a slackin ass.

On topic.

Truly trying to help.

UPSER1987

Just FYI…this is not how it’s supposed to work. First did you attend integrad or any ups formal training? Some of this would have been reviewed there. Second, same route every day and you are trained on road progressively with a supervisor as new areas are added to the route. As I indicated earlier, the driver packet is to be reviewed multiple times during the course of 30 days. What you are doing well and what you need to improve on. Conversations should have focused on safety, service and on road performance (overallowed). Generally the stewards are involved in those meetings as a witness and to answer any questions you may have in the meeting or later. Are you in a multiple center building or a small stand alone building? Smaller buildings tend not to follow protocol. If those things didn’t happen, you probably have a good case for extension or a do over of the packet - especially if you were added areas to the route and never received training in those areas. Don’t be afraid to ask questions of your management team or steward if you are unsure of something.

rjh9189

I went to the week long training. Where we got 2 weeks worth of information in 3 days, our practice ride the 4th day, then our final test the fifth day.

But most of what you said was to happen did not. It would’ve been nice but the training as new roads were added did not happen. It was like my 3rd day on my own and they gave me over 140 stops with a bunch of new roads.

We are in a hub. Working off 4 different metros. It’s all automated, so I guess you could call us a smaller building.

UPSER1987

I went to the week long training. Where we got 2 weeks worth of information in 3 days, our practice ride the 4th day, then our final test the fifth day.

But most of what you said was to happen did not. It would’ve been nice but the training as new roads were added did not happen. It was like my 3rd day on my own and they gave me over 140 stops with a bunch of new roads.

We are in a hub. Working off 4 different metros. It’s all automated, so I guess you could call us a smaller building.
I would contact my steward or business agent and relay some of the information in this thread to them. Have them set up a meeting with you, the business agent , the center manager and the labor manager. The labor manager can make the decision to extend or do over the packet. If you haven’t filed a grievance, do so asap with your steward or business agent.

rjh9189

Just FYI…this is not how it’s supposed to work. First did you attend integrad or any ups formal training? Some of this would have been reviewed there. Second, same route every day and you are trained on road progressively with a supervisor as new areas are added to the route. As I indicated earlier, the driver packet is to be reviewed multiple times during the course of 30 days. What you are doing well and what you need to improve on. Conversations should have focused on safety, service and on road performance (overallowed). Generally the stewards are involved in those meetings as a witness and to answer any questions you may have in the meeting or later. Are you in a multiple center building or a small stand alone building? Smaller buildings tend not to follow protocol. If those things didn’t happen, you probably have a good case for extension or a do over of the packet - especially if you were added areas to the route and never received training in those areas. Don’t be afraid to ask questions of your management team or steward if you are unsure of something.
Thank you for the information. It really helps.

I would contact my steward or business agent and relay some of the information in this thread to them. Have them set up a meeting with you, the business agent , the center manager and the labor manager. The labor manager can make the decision to extend or do over the packet. If you haven’t filed a grievance, do so asap with your steward or business agent.
I don't think that person is in the union yet.

UPSER1987

Just like every other post on Brown Cafe we only hear part of the story.
Usually if a driver is showing improvement during qualification time they will extend it
That is correct…but he/she can really only be expected to improve with time and training…progressive training. Day 3 and 140 stops is a lazy dispatch.
I only say this because some people truly get screwed and have no idea who or what is normal. Good employees are beneficial to both the company and the union.

That is correct…but he/she can really only be expected to improve with time and training…progressive training. Day 3 and 140 stops is a lazy dispatch.
Honestly most of the supervisors we have couldn't train anybody on a route. They're all young 20-somethings They did their 30 day qualification and never had any real deliveries experience

UPSER1987

Honestly most of the supervisors we have couldn't train anybody on a route. They're all young 20-somethings They did their 30 day qualification and never had any real deliveries experience
But if the driver is 2 hours over with the supervisor, why should we expect the driver to scratch? That shouldn’t mean this person doesn’t get an opportunity . That’s where a good steward helps the employee and gets the driver through 30 days. If the driver holds himself accountable to being better he/she will with time.

But if the driver is 2 hours over with the supervisor, why should we expect the driver to scratch? That shouldn’t mean this person doesn’t get an opportunity . That’s where a good steward helps the employee and gets the driver through 30 days. If the driver holds himself accountable to being better he/she will with time.
It's all a big joke anymore. Nobody cares about anything except for your own numbers.
Sometimes you got some really talented people and they just get flustered and they need this little extra guidance and it could end up being a good driver

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I only say this because some people truly get screwed and have no idea who or what is normal. Good employees are beneficial to both the company and the union.

That is about about the most reasonable post, I've seen you write.

If the driver holds himself accountable to being better he/she will with time.

For some people.... it takes more than 30 days.

UPSER1987

Ok.

So, what is a "safety coordinator"? What is an "extension"? What does your sex have to do with it(not gender)?

What you seem to be saying......you went the whole 30 days with zero input, comment or seeing an ORS? Never saw a report, manager any other person? And how did you punch in, get your diad, route etc.? You did this all on your own?

Really?

Really? So you acclimated to the heat after a week?

And you didn't think it was odd that NO PERSON ever talked to you.....during training ! ?

You got up every morning and did a route? Just picked a route and car, did as you pleased?

I have never heard of such in my 40 years.

BTW, in preload......you never heard of a Union Steward. Do you pay dues? Ever asked why or where your money was going?

How long at UPS?

And were you under/over-allowed? And this didn't get the attention of anyone? You say you got the job done......but didn't say how well...missed stops, pkgs. Service failures never came up in any conversations? You didn't get into trouble anywhere? Wow.

Lastly, when you checked out your diad in the morning....you didn't ask where your training sup was?.....like : Hey where's Bob my training sup?". Was your Mgr. awol too? And pkgs were loaded in your diad and matched your pkg car....right? And if so....who coordinated all that? How about pickups? All smooth and trouble free? Remarkable......
What’s remarkable is that none of your drivel is of the slightest bit of help to the employee.
Don’t feel obligated to respond to every thread.
Shrugs shoulders.