Filed my first grievance!

Fnix

thats the part I don't understand. I don't see a doctor risking his livelyhood to change a patients medical status. Either the doctor is dirty here or the manager was really asking for a clarification of duty status.

We do go through situations where a person brings a vague doctors note that does not list lifting and lowering restrictions. At that point we send them back to the doctor to get that information.

We also have situations where a doctor puts someone out not knowing we offer light duty. We then notify the doctor that we have light duty and ask the employee to go back to the doctor to get his/her restrictions.

What happens if he brings in a note for light duty and he still gets put on what he was doing before?

What happens if he brings in a note for light duty and he still gets put on what he was doing before?
If he can do it without going beyond the Doctors restrictions, then why not?
It's up to the employee/patient as much it is the company to make sure the restrictions are not violated. If doing the job requires one to go beyond the Doc's orders then he/she don't have to do the work.

ups_vette

I have an apointment next week with an eye doctor to get new glasses, so it could be that I didn't see anywhere in the original post where an INJURY REPORT was filed. Is it my eyesight, or did the poster fail to report the injury when it happened?

raceanoncr

" I stayed home Wednesday night assuming I'd be just using an option day. I know, I know, I shouldn't have even let it go this far "

Folks, I'm going to say it again; if you don't work a day in the week with a Holiday, and use an option for that day, you don't get paid for the Holiday. I may be wrong, it might just apply to the day before and after a Holiday. Regardless, Option day /vacation hours are not entered as "hours worked" anymore, it's on a different line in the pay stub. UPS payroll changed this somewhere down the line and now you have to be careful. please, correct me if/where I'm wrong.

That's true, that if you don't work a day in the week of a holiday but want to claim an option for that day, you don't get paid holiday pay. But, The contract states that you are guaranteed X hours for X amount of holiday weeks. That option day is considered 8 hours of pay for a friend/ter.
So, if you work the whole week and the holiday falls on Fri, for example, you take an option for the following Mon, you don't get paid? Just because you didn't show up the day after the holiday?

No, here an option is considered a work day, 8 hours pay. I don't care how payroll inputs it or marks it down, it's 8 hours pay, hence, counts as part of your work week.

As an example, check with some of your feeder drivers that have mileage runs. I drive X amount of miles at X mileage rate. I have X amount of delay time to be paid at X amount of feeder hourly pay. You oughtta see our pay stubs. Nothing, I mean NOTHING, is printed about miles or delay time. I have got 5,6 or more lines of activity to make the pay come out (which I always check, by the way). Exam: one line may say 21 hours worked at X straight, single pay. One may say 5 hours worked at straight double pay. One may say more hours worked at o/t pay. Another line may merely say, "Adjustment". They are incapable of inputting miles driven at X amount and hrs worked at X amount. I don't care because I always check to make sure the gross in correct and I get paid everything I worked.

supercool

I have an apointment next week with an eye doctor to get new glasses, so it could be that I didn't see anywhere in the original post where an INJURY REPORT was filed. Is it my eyesight, or did the poster fail to report the injury when it happened?

Oh, there was an injury report. I have it. I filed it immediately when it happened -- reported to my direct supervisor, who radioed the full-time supe and manager, and I filled out the paperwork with the safety supe. I had to use the claim number on the injury report to get the L&I (labor and industry) insurance to pay for the doctor visit.

Where I work we can schedule a day off before a holiday and still get our holiday pay. I wanted to use an option holiday so I'd get paid for the day I missed, and also the holiday pay. They don't let people call in sick on days before or after holidays to get out of working them and getting paid. My manager claimed that since I was originally unable to work, I was ineligible for holiday pay, which I think is bogus. I got hurt ON THE JOB. He said that were I able to perform light duty, however, then I would have been eligible. I wanted to avoid having to file a grievance for my holiday pay so I got the note changed. I understand that in reality I WAS able to perform light duty, so I went to the doctor again and had him change it. I didn't think it was a big deal, and was more of a clarification thing.

The changed doctor's note DID NOT change the diagnosis. It didn't say I was fine to work. It was a clarification about the light duty that UPS "offers." It stated that instead of "unable to report to work" that I could report and do light duty. The duty restriction was sitting, no walking. I figured if getting that note changed was what it would take to get my holiday pay, then so be it. I was told on the phone when I called in that Wednesday that when I got that note changed (or "clarified") that my holiday pay would be entered.

The company didn't "talk me into" taking an option day. I asked if this would be a way I could get paid for the day I wasn't working (where, ultimately, I would have been on light duty), and for my holiday pay. They said it was. Many people in my building with more seniority often take option days before holidays, and get paid for their holiday. I'm guessing it differs around the country, but here we can do that, and it's a totally accepted and customary way of doing things.

magoo57

"Tell Tony it was nothing personal. It was just business"
--The Godfather
I would like to talk to you now that the deed is done. How do you deal with work after you filed a greivance?
As a supe, my suggestion is that you do not lord the fact that you filed- or even when you get paid for the greivance. Mind you ps and qs if the supe team is vindictive, but at least state to your immediate supe that it was "only business". "Nothing personal". Let him know that the target isn't on HIS back. That you only want the right thing and that you are not trying to ride the greivance gravytrain. And don't broadcast the results unless another hourly needs the info.
One of the best examples of mangement/ labor relations are the Looney Tunes cartoons. In particular, the one where the wolf( a dead ringer for Wile. E. Cyote) is trying to steal sheep from under the watchful eye of the sheepdog. The message is clear: When you clock out, leave all the anger there. "Goodnight Ralph" "Goodnight Sam"

tieguy

Banned
Oh, there was an injury report. I have it. I filed it immediately when it happened -- reported to my direct supervisor, who radioed the full-time supe and manager, and I filled out the paperwork with the safety supe. I had to use the claim number on the injury report to get the L&I (labor and industry) insurance to pay for the doctor visit.

Is everyone else calling their injuries in on the 1 800 number?

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
tieguy;28460[COLOR=#0000ff said:
At this point you're both dirty.[/COLOR]
It seems rather harsh to me to call supercool dirty because he was trying to "work with" management. The fact that he offered to use up one of his optional days shows he wasn't trying to take advantage of the situation. On the other hand, mgmt, mislead him, took advantage of him, and hung him out to dry. Yes I'm sure he's learned now not to "go along" with any suggestion that hints of deceitful like the one mgmt proposed to him. At most, you could call him naive for trusting mgmt at their word. I wish my experience wth UPS was like that of over9five, but that AIN't the world I live in,...... maybe occasionally, but not typically:dissapointed:

Big Babooba

I believe you have to work the day before and the day after to get paid for the holiday. A option day does qualify for a day worked.
New England Supplement says that you need to work just one day in the week that the holiday falls on to be paid for that holiday.

paidslave

We have management that work with their people well and we have people that work well with their management people.

This case does not apply. According to this persons story management asked him to do something dishonest and he agreed to do it.

Engaging in dishonest potentially illegal activity is not what I would classify as working with management. Don't help me out this way and don't violate your own personal belief system simply to "work with management"

At this point you're both dirty.

Management should and is held at a much higher standard TIEGUY! You are talking about a part time worker that wanted to work with his management team but it was not reciprocated!

Management is even dirtier to even try and persuade this kind of conduct! The manager should have bent over backwards for him doing this! A call to OHSA should have been placed then the Attorney general! Might have made the papers too!

Glad he filed!

paidslave

"Tell Tony it was nothing personal. It was just business"
--The Godfather
I would like to talk to you now that the deed is done. How do you deal with work after you filed a greivance?
As a supe, my suggestion is that you do not lord the fact that you filed- or even when you get paid for the greivance. Mind you ps and qs if the supe team is vindictive, but at least state to your immediate supe that it was "only business". "Nothing personal". Let him know that the target isn't on HIS back. That you only want the right thing and that you are not trying to ride the greivance gravytrain. And don't broadcast the results unless another hourly needs the info.
One of the best examples of mangement/ labor relations are the Looney Tunes cartoons. In particular, the one where the wolf( a dead ringer for Wile. E. Cyote) is trying to steal sheep from under the watchful eye of the sheepdog. The message is clear: When you clock out, leave all the anger there. "Goodnight Ralph" "Goodnight Sam"

Vindictive?: Please explain I would love to hear more?

tieguy

Banned
Management should and is held at a much higher standard TIEGUY! You are talking about a part time worker that wanted to work with his management team but it was not reciprocated!

Paid I don't think the quote of mine you used disagreed with anything you say here.

Tony31yrs

You're first mistake was trusting a supervisor without a witness or anything in writing. I worked well and usually adapted to the kinds of supes I had for 31 years, but there were exceptions. Even the best supes are good 95% of the time, but will stab you in the back the other 5%. When it comes down to them or you, you will come in a poor second.
You're second mistake was having the Dr change the letter. That gives them an out if their superiors deny their arrangement with you. Be smart and be paranoid when dealing with UPS. Always look at what the worst scenario could be.

tieguy

Banned
You're first mistake was trusting a supervisor without a witness or anything in writing.

I humbly suggest that his first mistake is he tried to work some side deal that he should not have been working. Here we have the only 4 day weekend at ups. Our friend conviently sprains his ankle on tuesday putting him out wednesday before thanksgiving weekend. Doctor conviently releases him until the following monday. Nice five day weekend off. Probably could not collect an optional holiday because they probably gave out the maximum number for the wednesday before thanksgiving.

So he tried to work a little side deal to get around the contractual language on optional holidays, tried to line up a five day weekend with his sprained ankle crap when he probably could have come in and sat somewhere on light duty. And his little side deal backfired. He thought he had it all worked out to get his five day weekend with pay and it back fired on him.
You guys who are susceptible to the "boo hoo management screwed me" dialogue have lost touch with what is really going on here.

I humbly suggest that his first mistake is he tried to work some side deal that he should not have been working. Here we have the only 4 day weekend at ups. Our friend conviently sprains his ankle on tuesday putting him out wednesday before thanksgiving weekend. Doctor conviently releases him until the following monday. Nice five day weekend off. Probably could not collect an optional holiday because they probably gave out the maximum number for the wednesday before thanksgiving.

So he tried to work a little side deal to get around the contractual language on optional holidays, tried to line up a five day weekend with his sprained ankle crap when he probably could have come in and sat somewhere on light duty. And his little side deal backfired. He thought he had it all worked out to get his five day weekend with pay and it back fired on him.
You guys who are susceptible to the "boo hoo management screwed me" dialogue have lost touch with what is really going on here.
Were you involved in this? Were you there? IF NOT, you have come to the conclusion that the poster is lying. I have come to the conclusion that the manager is lying. In the original post he said:
I was concerned about my holiday pay since I wouldn't work that night, so I called the office and asked if they would give me an option day so I could get my holiday pay. My manager said yes, provided that I get the note changed to say I could have done light duty (even if the light duty was sitting, doing nothing). I stayed home Wednesday night assuming I'd be just using an option day.
Sounds to me it was the MANAGER suggesting the "side deal". The motive for that would be to keep yet another lost time accident off his ( the manager's)record. The option day requested by the poster was not a side deal, it was a way to be off without loosing his holiday pay, fully expecting to return to work on monday. It was the MANAGERS idea to have the Doctor change the note, NOT the poster. Would you, Tieguy, intentionally sprain your ankle? to get an extra day off? I really doubt that the Doctor would take him off work till monday if there was not significantly swelling.
Tieguy, you ignored what was typed out here for all to see, yet you made your mind up that the employee was the one doing the "deal" working when it was the boss. You must screw your people really badly and often, to always assume they are trying to screw you.
This young man got screwed by his MANAGER and is only trying to get what he is owed.

Tony31yrs

And you, Tieguy, are a prime example of management thinking-"Guilty until proven innocent!" The manager should have suggested light duty if it was available. He shouldn't have told him to get the note changed and then screwed him.

tieguy

Banned
And you, Tieguy, are a prime example of management thinking-"Guilty until proven innocent!" The manager should have suggested light duty if it was available. He shouldn't have told him to get the note changed and then screwed him.

If thats your point then you have not been paying attention. I previously made the point that both the manager and the hourly did something dishonest based on what the hourly said.

We now also have a doctor who is going to change the mans duty status after the fact. Think about that doc is going to risk a 200,000 a year job to falsify the guys document.

So manager tells him to get a backdated light duty release. guilty
hourly says he agreed to do it and asked his doctor - guilty
doctor agrees to risk his livelyhood doing so - guilty

At the same time we have only the hourlys statement on the subject.

At this point we have a story thats hard to believe.

What else is a little unbelievable here.

is it a coincidence that the hourly just happened to get hurt on a tuesday which just happens to set him up for a long week end around thanksgiving?

Why didnt the guy recieve medical attention and get put on light duty on tuesday of that week. ? When it actually happened.

Why would the manager make this request. To save a lost time injury? if the manager actually codes the hourly on optional holiday then he has no lost time injury because the guy was on optional holiday. Therefore the manager has no reason to make this dishonest request. It does not benifit him in any way to ask the hourly to get a back dated light duty slip.

I'm not the guy weaving the fairy tales here.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09

I believe it is more like "guilty until proven guilty"