Finally Experienced PAS/EDD

Overpaid Union Thug

Our center, among many other centers in the area, has been slowly fazing PAS/EDD into our Preload. I recently had my first taste of it on road. So far at the end of each day most of the drivers here, including myself, end up wondering what the hell happened while the IE guys were relooping our center. One thing I've noticed already is that EDD seems to have many drivers running "figure eights" through a route when it would be wiser to run stops down one side and come back throught the other. Common sense would dictate that but instead I'm supposed to zig zag around and through areas to get to others and the end result is struggling to get businesses and schools off before they close. I could go on and on about why I don't like EDD, so far, but anyone that's been comming to this site long enough has already heard it from someone else before. I just thought I'd put my two cents out on it. And one more thing....I've had plenty of customers complain about "our new system" too. LOL!

upsgrunt

I finally conceded and at 2:00 everyday I break off and run all remaining business, schools, churches, etc. before I start pickups. It is about the only thing I can do, but it wrenches the trace numbers percentage.

filthpig

I've been using EDD for about 2 1/2 years now and it really helps if it's implemented and utilized correctly. As far as running on trace, that ain't happenin'. But EDD has ,overall, been useful. The PAS system is crap. It takes all of the route knowledge away from the loader, and that ain't good.

Overpaid Union Thug

I don't understand how most of us here are all ending up with horrible trace in EDD after IE has spend so many months in our center reading maps and getting driver input to prepare for this. They must have decided to do the complete opposite. Yeah, it's cool not having to sort packages anymore but that's about it. Actually I should have said it was nice not having to sort AS MUCH because my trace was so screwed up today that I ended up sorting the entire 3000 section and just picked the stops out of EDD as I went along.

JustTired

free at last.......
What.......you haven't had to dig through your load looking for that 5th box that EDD says you have and you can only find 4? Oh, by the way, that 5th box is in somebody elses load.

Oh and govols019.........didn't you mean "it will get worse before it gets worser"?

JustTired

free at last.......
I don't understand how most of us here are all ending up with horrible trace in EDD after IE has spend so many months in our center reading maps and getting driver input to prepare for this. They must have decided to do the complete opposite.

Ya think????

browned_out

:sad: After reading your post I thought I was having deja vu. You would think after all this time (years) that they could perfect the implementation of this system, however its the same everywhere.

JustTired

free at last.......
I've been using EDD for about 2 1/2 years now and it really helps if it's implemented and utilized correctly.

I have no problem with that statement.

As far as running on trace, that ain't happenin'.

Then it isn't implemented correctly and you aren't utilizing it correctly. No big surprise, there.

The PAS system is crap. It takes all of the route knowledge away from the loader, and that ain't good.

It might not be good, but that's the point. Supposedly any maroon can load a car with PAS. At least on paper.

VTBrown

The system is only as good as the effort the individual driver wants to put into it. What you may also not understand....we as drivers are not perfect and did not always set up our routes the "old" way the most efficient way for them to be delivered. It's a two way street here. Both sides need to work together here.

You have to be on top of and almost pestering IE/Management to get your fixes done in a decent time.

If your one of the drivers that fears change and wants to fight it....it's going to be your worst nightmare.

As a cover driver I've seen routes where the drivers were very active in it and routes that the driver didn't give a crap. You can tell the difference it's night and day.

Regardless of what anyone says.....I have saved plenty of sort time and had increased efficiency in all the routes that have it implemented.

JustTired

free at last.......
What you may also not understand....we as drivers are not perfect and did not always set up our routes the "old" way the most efficient way for them to be delivered.

It may not have been the most efficient way, but I did it about 1 hr faster with about 30 less miles the "old" way. And my customers were a lot happier, also.

I never said I was perfect, but these clowns that set the system up in our center evidently thought they were. Because they totally ignored any input we had to give them.

You know.....you can only talk to the wall so long before you realize it can't hear you. It's their system...let them live with it. I'll see you at the bank.

Overpaid Union Thug

What.......you haven't had to dig through your load looking for that 5th box that EDD says you have and you can only find 4? Oh, by the way, that 5th box is in somebody elses load.

Oh and govols019.........didn't you mean "it will get worse before it gets worser"?

I've been averaging at least 4 "not found" each day. I also have at least one small package that should be loaded in the 2000 or 3000 section that is buried in a bulk stop in the rear door left or right sections. Another thing that is annoying is something that is 100% driver error. Some of our senior drivers that think they can do whatever they want are refusing to run certain air stops and the packages always find their way down to others. We have enough to worry about without having additional air to run because of them. This has always gone on at UPS but now there is no reason for it to now. It's sad because not only does the PAL say it goes on their truck but also because they pass right by the places on their way to their rural routes were they rarely even have NDAs. But as far as EDD goes with air stops....it would work if everyone would cooperate and jus run what EDD says they have. Unless it is just way too much to hanlde of course.

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
Isn't it wonderful!? :lol:

Wait till you are passing other drivers in and out of neighborhoods...I do the odd side, another guy gets the even side...friggin awesome! :tongue_sm

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
It might not be good, but that's the point. Supposedly any maroon can load a car with PAS. At least on paper.

:laugh: We must have all the morons here then....for example, 5000 comes before 5100, and 5200 etc etc...My preloader just takes one whole section and dumps it on the shelf, so I have 1800 and 1900 where my 1100 (close enough!!!) stuff should be etc...good times good times. I used to stress about it, but I just make sure to put in "Other Work, sorted load" everyday while I re-sort 140 stops as I go...

Was load quality acceptable?
No

over9five

Staff member
"It gets better??? We had PAS/EDD for almost 4 years hasn't got better yet."

I didn't think it would ever get better either. Then I got a preloader who is a professional. This guy is amazing.

Remember: The "P" in PAS is for Preload. PAS assists the PRELOAD. It does not assist the driver.

Your only hope at success is to get an awesome preloader. With PAS, your preloader HAS to be incredible. An average preloader will suck, AND a sucky preloader will REALLY SUCK.

(Can I say "suck"?)

dammor

I've been averaging at least 4 "not found" each day. I also have at least one small package that should be loaded in the 2000 or 3000 section that is buried in a bulk stop in the rear door left or right sections. Another thing that is annoying is something that is 100% driver error. Some of our senior drivers that think they can do whatever they want are refusing to run certain air stops and the packages always find their way down to others. We have enough to worry about without having additional air to run because of them. This has always gone on at UPS but now there is no reason for it to now. It's sad because not only does the PAL say it goes on their truck but also because they pass right by the places on their way to their rural routes were they rarely even have NDAs. But as far as EDD goes with air stops....it would work if everyone would cooperate and jus run what EDD says they have. Unless it is just way too much to hanlde of course.

I am one of those senior lazy rural drivers you are talking about when it comes to NDA. Our start time is 9:20. We get out of the buliding around 9:45 if it is a good day. I run anywhere from 270 to 350 miles a day and and am supposed to bring the air in every night from the other drivers up in that area. The NDA stops I pass "on my way out of town" can take up to an hour and 1/2. It is impossible to stay in town so long and get back in with the air. The solution here is air drivers. I am not for loading up the in town drivers, but you need to understand I pass by 150 stops on my way OUT OF TOWN. I understand your frustration and now I hope you understand mine.

By the way, welcome to Pass/Edd. Over 3 years here and still a challenge everyday.

maybrown

is not a woman
One air driver at my center loves this PAS system very much. He said before he has 4 or 5 hours everyday. Now he works at least 10 hours a day. Very easy job that's why he refuses to go full time!