Fired for (dishonesty) stealing time

UPSER1987

You didn’t understand that you can’t clock in from lunch early, and sit there doing lunch-time things while getting paid? Riiiight
Like another poster said, he probably has developed bad habits…and maybe didn’t even realize it.

Just like any other method you don’t use, you get lucky until you don’t.
A lot of drivers are lucky most days.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I have 0 record of ever lying, cheating, stealing or being dishonest in my life. I take pride in my work and will never be a un-honest man........
I'm not being a dick, i promise but my brother if you are making a habit of clocking back in and not going back to work immediately, they will show a pattern of stealing time. As far as not understanding how the lunch break works that, to me,is a very weak defense and likely to get you laughed out of the hearing.
This is a very bad time to get terminated as volume drops after peak and very few people are on vacation so management has no reason to bring you back quickly

UPSER1987

I'm not being a dick, i promise but my brother if you are making a habit of clocking back in and not going back to work immediately, they will show a pattern of stealing time. As far as not understanding how the lunch break works that, to me,is a very weak defense and likely to get you laughed out of the hearing.
This is a very bad time to get terminated as volume drops after peak and very few people are on vacation so management has no reason to bring you back quickly
That is all very true OP.

How was this infraction discovered?

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
Yes understandable. The one thing I told out center manager when he terminated me was that I honestly do love my job. I told him I had no intentions of being “dishonest” or “stealing time”. I’ve been driving for almost 2 years now and have a perfect attendance record and have really no previous write ups accept a little safety related issue in my first couple months of driving. I have always gotten along with management and all my fellow upsers. The guy that terminated then turned around and said get with your union leader and he then said there should be no problem getting your job back, so that fives me a little confidence..
Doesn’t matter what your intentions were. You were stealing time.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Sounds like the center is kind of loosey goosey with the lunch rules as it is.

It’s one thing being loose about whether you have to take lunch and how long lunch has to be. I think it is crystal clear everywhere that if you are on the clock you are supposed to work.

Box Ox

When I would go to lunch I would sometime clock back 10-20 minutes before going back to work.
I have 0 record of ever lying, cheating, stealing or being dishonest in my life.

fp.gif

Box Ox

Non sequitur

Being cold is one thing I don’t want them to judge me as. I have 0 record of ever lying, cheating, stealing or being dishonest in my life. I take pride in my work and will never be a un-honest man. I guess it kind of comes down to me not really understanding the rules for lunch and now that I know, all I can do is hope our management will understand that going to fourth, if I get my job back, is that I will do what it takes to correct my actions and cross my fingers that they will understand.
When you learn this hard lesson, it will only make you a better driver. Good luck and have a peaceful New year.

nWo

So you made a habit of taking a 50 minute lunch but only entering a 30 minute lunch in the diad? Yeah you will probably get your job back because most everyone does. But if you do it again management isn't going to be so lenient.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
In our center we have no set time for lunch. We can either take a lunch or don’t take a lunch, but if we take a lunch we, obviously, need to clock out. By clocking back in early I mean if I was at lunch from 12:00 to 12:15 and clocked out for all of those 15 minutes but then got back in my package car and seen my email and I needed to make a quick phone call so I made a 10 minute phone call while still on clock.
Honest question, are you stupid?

Last edited:

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
So you made a habit of taking a 50 minute lunch but only entering a 30 minute lunch in the diad? Yeah you will probably get your job back because most everyone does. But if you do it again management isn't going to be so lenient.
An extra 20 minutes is a really long time

542thruNthru

They pulled telematics on me and accused me of stealing time. When I would go to lunch I would sometime clock back 10-20 minutes before going back to work. Most of them times, in that 10-20 min span, I would either be using the rest room or using the phone. They terminated me Friday for dishonesty. I have to meet with our UPsers team union leader on next Friday along with our district manger to explain my reasonings to why I was stealing time and they will decide if I get my job back. Has anyone ever had this problem. I’ve never been warned and I have had no other issues in the past 9 months. Will I get my job back?? Thanks
This right here!
3ArrowsPointingDown.gif

Did they come out and observe you stealing time?

If they didn't and all they have is telematics then your BA should be able to get your job back pretty easily. We had a guy that even admitted to taking extra breaks on the clock and our BA got him his job back with back pay.
Screenshot_20220101-114558_Adobe Acrobat.jpg