Fired for (dishonesty) stealing time

542thruNthru

There usually more to the story than what the online poster is telling us
a735a-christragergoodjob.gif

Porknado

If you clock back in from lunch and your package car isn’t started and rolling within a minute or so, you’re going to get someone’s attention. Move without delay, yadda yadda. Unless you were sorting your truck in that time, they’re gonna hook you for stealing time. If your bulkhead door was closed during that time, you couldn’t have been sorting. Contractual language about not using technology in discipline aside, they likely have a dishonesty angle and they know it.

Good luck at panel, and the moral of this story is, take your full breaks as specified in your supplement, and move out promptly when they’re over. Don’t paint a bullseye on your back. Anyone who’s not a fulltime is likely already under the microscope…

Overpaid Union Thug

This right here!
View attachment 365974

If they didn't and all they have is telematics then your BA should be able to get your job back pretty easily. We had a guy that even admitted to taking extra breaks on the clock and our BA got him his job back with back pay.
View attachment 365975
They probably went by what I circled since he admitted to them he was on the phone and what not. So, he pretty much screwed his self unless they want to give him another chance. And they might since he was honest about it and, apparently, had no other issues before. It happens. Like you said. But he should have been instructed by the steward on how to respond in the hearing. It’s likely he’s done this befor or they wouldn’t have tried to fire him. Unless he’s had other issues that he didn’t mention here and they’ve been looking for anything to fire him for.
C9C17E96-3A27-4EA5-9EF7-923EC3504810.jpeg

Overpaid Union Thug

If there is more than a 10 minute gap without you doing anything and not on lunch or a break it gets automatically flagged. A quick phone call is OK but longer than that can be stealing time.
I use to have to tidy up my remaining packages on a previous route after lunch. It was a cake route but had a high piece/stops count that would become quite a mess leading up to lunch time. I’d be back there well over ten minutes when we still had Amazon furniture along with Overstock, Wayfair, etc. I was showing up on a report each time but they didn’t try and fire me. Instead IE had my supervisor ask me about it. He already suspected why but asked just to confirm. Never heard a peep about it after that.

oldngray

nowhere special
I use to have to tidy up my remaining packages on a previous route after lunch. It was a cake route but had a high piece/stops count that would become quite a mess leading up to lunch time. I’d be back there well over ten minutes when we still had Amazon furniture along with Overstock, Wayfair, etc. I was showing up on a report each time but they didn’t try and fire me. Instead IE had my supervisor ask me about it. He already suspected why but asked just to confirm. Never heard a peep about it after that.
There are legitimate reasons sometimes but not his lame excuse.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
For this very reason if I’m gonna sort after lunch I just started making a habit of doing it first. Sort, hit a stop or two on my way to lunch, and then when lunch is over already to go. Staying off the radar is an art form sometimes. Nothing wrong with what you’re doing either.

oldngray

nowhere special
For this very reason if I’m gonna sort after lunch I just started making a habit of doing it first. Sort, hit a stop or two on my way to lunch, and then when lunch is over already to go. Staying off the radar is an art form sometimes. Nothing wrong with what you’re doing either.
Its kind of sad they have people more worried about issues like that than delivering packages

BrownStains

Sometimes I take 10-15 minutes to sort my truck and don’t put that in as a break, nobody ever said anything about that to me. I’ve also spent 10 mins looking for a package .

quad decade guy

It's the truth
There's usually some underlying reason whether coming after you.

But with that being said I will try to spread a little advice to everyone on here

Peak season is over and now warning letter season is upon us.

Do you drop the correct way and you will be fine
They actually fired 2 folks for stealing time....week of Christmas and a couple more during peak. Our Superstar import OR Manager is a real hatchet man. But then, we got some real stupid folks in our feeder dept.

ManInBrown

It’s one thing being loose about whether you have to take lunch and how long lunch has to be. I think it is crystal clear everywhere that if you are on the clock you are supposed to work.
Package yes, feeders no. I spend my whole day sitting around doing nothing. i wouldn’t even call it going to work. More of a nuisance activity. As for the OP, were you legitimately using the bathroom after you clocked back in, or sorting? Thats one thing, if they have you clocking back in and just extending your lunch you got a problem. As someone else said there’s nothing they like more than thinning the herd beginning Jan 1.

Second to last route I had in package they broke my you know what to no end about how I ran my stops right before lunch, always saved two. One about a 1/2 mile from where I ate, and one about a 1/2 mile back from where I came from and would continue my day. The one thing I always made sure I did, was I was in that package car one minute before meal was over. The second I clocked off meal that truck started and I was on my way back to route to deliver the one stop I held that was close by.

Last edited:

UPSER1987

It’s one thing being loose about whether you have to take lunch and how long lunch has to be. I think it is crystal clear everywhere that if you are on the clock you are supposed to work.
But an argument can be made to go strictly by the rules…on both sides.

Crystal clear can be made murky by allowing things to happen that shouldn’t. Where do you draw the line? For all we know, that manager may have known what was going all along, but when it’s brought to his attention by a 3rd party, it’s out of his hands and now the hammer comes down.

It’s often advantageous to have a management team that strictly follows the rules. It keeps everything in the open and there are no surprises such as this.