Fired for (dishonesty) stealing time

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Wonder what the real story is?

Nobody gets fired for one event. More details missing than a CNN news report.
I'm betting they had records of him doing this for weeks. When Security has you cold they terminate you then present evidence a little at a time at the progressive hearings and each hearing will be worse for the driver.
Security absolutely LIVES for cases they can slam dunk

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
They pulled telematics on me and accused me of stealing time. When I would go to lunch I would sometime clock back 10-20 minutes before going back to work.
So for about one hour and a half a week, you were on the clock but yet did nothing.

Sayonara!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Very much so. I saw several younger drivers that committed the same offense the OP has described. It became such a part of thier Daily Routine they forgot they were stealing time .

Stealing time (for use of a cell phone) is such a gray area right now.

"You expect me to facilitate your business with my personally paid for phone.

But want to discipline me.. when it's a personal call during business hours ?

:biggrin:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Gen Snow is on the phone all day long so I'm not buying that excuse.

11.19igrad

Probably learned it from an onroad….
all i learned from mine was go faster. he watched me park for a while day never said crap about anything i did wrong. but they also never wanted me anyway. they can keep their $20/hr. and i hope no one ever picks up those tired "on demand" turds of turd.

why is everything so TIRED?? i hope it all collapses. and it will at some point.

people are too thirsty.

quad decade guy

Well, your statement is a little disingenuous....

A personal call is a personal call...a call to UPS(which is completely voluntary) is being paid to call the company when directed. How this person calls is up to him. I personally don't. I use the message system. Unfortunately for UPS they don't read return messages(don't have time they say...). Shrug.

Gray area? Not really. If you are on the clock
and make a personal call....you are stealing time.....clock out. Simple.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Irrelevant.
It's really NOT irrelevant.I'm not being Snarky in my comment, rather pointing out the degradation in the quality of Onroad management. We had one onroad telling the younger drivers to sign for packages,run thru yards, if they had a misload record them aas No Such Number..........ALL things that could get them terminated but he didnt care the Supe had to have his driver groups Numbers where the DM wanted them.
Newer Onroads are poorly trained themselves and thrown into the job with threats of being fired from the first day.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I love seeing safety committee guys yaking on the phone, driving one handed.
One time they went out to do an observation on one of our guys, found the truck running with the parking brake on, bulkhead door tied open with a dr bag, safety committee guy inside a store making a delivery completely out of sight of the truck.

Poop Head

Judge me.
One time they went out to do an observation on one of our guys, found the truck running with the parking brake on, bulkhead door tied open with a dr bag, safety committee guy inside a store making a delivery completely out of sight of the truck.
I was on vacation once, driving on the highway. Saw a brown truck up ahead, thought id pass it and give a little wave. It was only when i got up to the truck that i could see our guy was tailgating a prius, with literally 1-2 feet of space. Passed him and he was on the phone too! Dude was a circle of honor, safety committee, mentor for new drivers, etc... i always get a kick outta those types.

UPSER1987

I was on vacation once, driving on the highway. Saw a brown truck up ahead, thought id pass it and give a little wave. It was only when i got up to the truck that i could see our guy was tailgating a prius, with literally 1-2 feet of space. Passed him and he was on the phone too! Dude was a circle of honor, safety committee, mentor for new drivers, etc... i always get a kick outta those types.
Safety committees are just a farce to make it look like there is a concern or process for safety. It’s just another money grab.

quad decade guy

Safety committees are just a farce to make it look like there is a concern or process for safety. It’s just another money grab.
Not always. But I have seen exactly as you say. Here it is so(for money/OT). Co-Chairs have to be stewards(worst thing Union could do). This puts them in bed with mgt. They then play both ends against the middle. The last Co-Chairs(3) I've had are so tight with mgt......

There are folks who want to make a difference....but if that costs money or productivity......ain't never gonna happen.....load retainers for example...speeding on the yard....running stop signs....on and on. How about speeding INSIDE the building.

quad decade guy

It's really NOT irrelevant.I'm not being Snarky in my comment, rather pointing out the degradation in the quality of Onroad management. We had one onroad telling the younger drivers to sign for packages,run thru yards, if they had a misload record them aas No Such Number..........ALL things that could get them terminated but he didnt care the Supe had to have his driver groups Numbers where the DM wanted them.
Newer Onroads are poorly trained themselves and thrown into the job with threats of being fired from the first day.
If so, just record them......covertly......or get upper mgt. to confirm...."My ORS told me this....is this true?"

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
If so, just record them......covertly......or get upper mgt. to confirm...."My ORS told me this....is this true?"
we had kids fired and would say " my supe told me to do it this way" and of course the Supe would deny it. The younger drivers would never question the Onroads as they think the Onroad is their Buddy