Fired for Unreported Accident

Enjoi0523

Today I was Article 52'd by my Center Manager for not reporting an accident. It supposedly happened on Tuesday.

On Tuesday it was raining and I was in a P1000 and went to make a U-Turn at an intersection. After clearing the intersection and deeming it safe, I proceeded to make the U-Turn. At the end of the turn I felt the rear tire (passenger side) hop the curb. I didn't think it went into the grass but apparently (photos) showed that I did. It was not to my knowledge that I went into the grass but he said that because I didn't report the incident, it was an integrity issue.

I told him that any time I thought there was a potential for something being considered an "accident" I always called it in. I had a road sign tap my mirror while parked (very windy day) in the past and called it in. I had someone two seasons ago slide a ladder off their van into my truck and called it in. He didn't care and feels that I did this intentionally. I have been a safe driver my entire UPS career without any accidents or injuries and even just received a safe driving award not too long ago.

Last month they tried to fire me for "Job Abandonment" because I finished my route early and never went out to go help someone. That got tossed. The month before that they coded me as terminated to payroll and I had to wait three weeks before I got paid. I feel like they have been trying to constantly harass and fire me for anything and everything. What do I need to do to prepare for this? I've already filed a grievance and called my B.A. but haven't heard anything back from him yet.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Today I was Article 52'd by my Center Manager for not reporting an accident. It supposedly happened on Tuesday.

On Tuesday it was raining and I was in a P1000 and went to make a U-Turn at an intersection. After clearing the intersection and deeming it safe, I proceeded to make the U-Turn. At the end of the turn I felt the rear tire (passenger side) hop the curb. I didn't think it went into the grass but apparently (photos) showed that I did. It was not to my knowledge that I went into the grass but he said that because I didn't report the incident, it was an integrity issue.

I told him that any time I thought there was a potential for something being considered an "accident" I always called it in. I had a road sign tap my mirror while parked (very windy day) in the past and called it in. I had someone two seasons ago slide a ladder off their van into my truck and called it in. He didn't care and feels that I did this intentionally. I have been a safe driver my entire UPS career without any accidents or injuries and even just received a safe driving award not too long ago.

Last month they tried to fire me for "Job Abandonment" because I finished my route early and never went out to go help someone. That got tossed. The month before that they coded me as terminated to payroll and I had to wait three weeks before I got paid. I feel like they have been trying to constantly harass and fire me for anything and everything. What do I need to do to prepare for this? I've already filed a grievance and called my B.A. but haven't heard anything back from him yet.
You ran over some grass and that is an accident???? Stop trying to rush out there and be the hero....seems unlikely that something like that will stick.... let the BA have a day or two, I’m sure they will get back to you.... one more time: STOP TRYING TO BE THE HERO....ITS NOT WORTH THE HEADACHE TRYING TO COVER YOUR ASS FOR STUPID THINGS THAT HAPPEN...

Enjoi0523

STOP TRYING TO BE THE HERO....ITS NOT WORTH THE HEADACHE TRYING TO COVER YOUR ASS FOR STUPID THINGS THAT HAPPEN...
I wasn't rushing. I don't rush. It was raining and there was poor visibility. I thought I only bumped the curb. Unless you're referring to the last incident about being finished with my route early. That was just three bulk stops and a UPS store sweep and I finished them by 1pm.

Staydryitsraining

Where the hell do you work?

Turdferguson

Just a turd
I wasn't rushing. I don't rush. It was raining and there was poor visibility. I thought I only bumped the curb. Unless you're referring to the last incident about being finished with my route early. That was just three bulk stops and a UPS store sweep and I finished them by 1pm.
And you just went on home without seeing if they wanted you to help?
Did they pay you guarantee 8 hours that day

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
Just a reminder I was told by the older peeps when I started to call everything in. I get a branch streak across the side of my truck I call it in. The sups get annoyed by it but I don’t care. Better safe then sorry

Dragon

Package Center Manager

So please fill us in on why you are being targeted...what did you do?

Returntosender

Don’t let push you to join Al qeda

Rack em

Made the Podium
No way in hell this sticks. They can't assume you knew you went into the grass and even if you did that should no be considered an accident. The termination will not stick so don't worry. At the worst you will have some time off, but a BA worth a damn will get you back pay for the time off.

F

Frankie's Friend

Why did you do a U turn in the intersection?
Ridiculous.
Never heard anywhere at any time if you hit grass it's an accident
Yes someones yard 100%. Not a curb.
He/she didnt hit a curb they ran over a curb, probably a sidewalk, and through someone's yard (who probably saw the whole idiotic thing go down) and then it was probably called in.

If you hit a curb while you're taking your cdl driving test you were disqualified on the spot.

U turns in intersections, driving up over the curb, and then through someone's grass. Great.
Making your fellow employees proud again.