Fired! From UPS: Stories About Employees Losing Their Job

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
In my day and area it was called "Rolling". Not a lot but a few used COD monies to buy lunch, gamble and pay debts till they got that weeks paycheck.

Company told everyone in the "PCM DONT DO THIS"! I heard about rolling thru the grapevine but was not there long enough as of yet to know who was doing it. Once they fired the driver they caught, the word spread like wikd fire about who wasn't gonna do that any more tho!

For you youngin's. This era was mid 1970's

Many COD's were cash only, no checks accepted. So what drivers did is pull the tag off the box get the monies like its a normal delivery. Then save that tag and sheet it (put on your paper, daily record, non button, no screen, Clipboard) 1 or 2 days later. Friday over the weekend I heard was the most common and sheet it Monday. Most big companies back then trusted we delivered everything we sheeted and wouldn't even count the pkgs.

So how did they catch the driver that day? It was the next day. The pkg was for a big wig in the company and not a pkg being put thru the system to be stocked. Employee's couldn't find the pkg, saw it was paid for by cash by the accountant, called the company, driver admitted took the cash and didn't sheet it but planned to sheet it today. It wasn't a big sum of money he said "I just didn't have money for lunch" FIRED!!!
That all sounds too complicated. My guy was just straight up taking the money and buying crack. I don't know how they ever caught him.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
That all sounds too complicated. My guy was just straight up taking the money and buying crack. I don't know how they ever caught him.
Can’t believe UPS didn’t make you turn in cash daily. Crazy! Put it in an envelope at the end of the day, label and date it, on the center manager’s desk it goes

Shiftless

Can’t believe UPS didn’t make you turn in cash daily. Crazy! Put it in an envelope at the end of the day, label and date it, on the center manager’s desk it goes

We were suppose to turn in everyday!

The company was unable to track shipments except in a crude manual manner. This was just around the stone age of times.

We had cashiers who counted the money against COD turn in slips. Management had nothing to do with handling COD monies.

We had pay roll clerks who would take your time card and add up all that you did on it for the day (Stops, Pieces,Cod's,PU's and other items) and calculate what your day was worth per IE standards and what you actually did. There were no friend - ing Computer's

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We did turn in daily. We had a safe where you dropped in the envelope. If you had an unusually large amount, like over 500$ or some such you could count it out in front of your manager and have him sign off on the envelope as well.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
We did turn in daily. We had a safe where you dropped in the envelope. If you had an unusually large amount, like over 500$ or some such you could count it out in front of your manager and have him sign off on the envelope as well.
Yep....and if we had over either $500 or $1000, had to go to the bank and get a cashier's check. Nothing like walking out of the hair store with 6k rolled up in your pocket.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Yep....and if we had over either $500 or $1000, had to go to the bank and get a cashier's check. Nothing like walking out of the hair store with 6k rolled up in your pocket.
I remember when I first started driving airs on Saturdays walking out of some shady little bodega with $1000 in 20's shoved in my pocket. Not nervous at all...

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
I did that for probably 2 years. I wasn't making up miles it was actually caused by a wrong odometer gear in a transmission that was put in my truck. It gave me an extra free 10-12 miles a day. That was about the only time I ever came close to making scratch on a regular basic for any length of time. :-)

Had an older truck that was stuck in kilometers. I just typed in what it said. So everyday for 3 months I looked like I was doing 90 plus miles. Easy hour of bonus everyday. When they finally put that truck out to pasture I shed a tear. Kicker is they knew about the issue for over a year. Just never fixed it.

rickyb

k my story. they called me to work and had no work. and were gonna send me home with no pay. i told them its illegal. they said ok well pay you but youre fired. i started swearing at the guy. he walked me out while i was swearing at him.

542thruNthru

k my story. they called me to work and had no work. and were gonna send me home with no pay. i told them its illegal. they said ok well pay you but youre fired. i started swearing at the guy. he walked me out while i was swearing at him.

Legend has it, that to this day you're still searching for the board of directors conference room phone number..

rickyb

Glutton for punishment?
ive never heard an explanation for the psychology that many workers adopt for their masters, but off the top of my head it reminds me of people who have been abducted and are slaves for years i forget what its called.

stockholm syndrome

karl marx said those who controlled the industry controlled what everyone thought. this is demonstrated in teh matrix.

Re-Raise

ive never heard an explanation for the psychology that many workers adopt for their masters, but off the top of my head it reminds me of people who have been abducted and are slaves for years i forget what its called.

stockholm syndrome

karl marx said those who controlled the industry controlled what everyone thought. this is demonstrated in teh matrix.
Stockholm Syndrome....as in Stockholm Finland

Hot Carl

We had a driver get fired for time theft after they caught him running his route like a mail route. Dude ran every street the evens up one side and all the odds down the other.

Had another one take out a customer's mailbox with his tailswing and didn't report it, but he was caught by a front porch camera. He eventually got his job back though.

Had a preload manager get promoted to center manager only to be fired after they collected a rather lengthy file of sexual harrassment allegations against him from all the female PT belt supes.

Back when I was on preload, we had a kid get fired for repeated attendance discrepancies when he literally lived a block away from the building. Also had a kid at another hub get the axe for drawing dicks on boxes that kept showing up at our center.