First day by myself

Scuderia1

Finally I got the chance to drive full day myself. I come in an hour early to setup my truck. It's been helping me just a little because last minute a **** load of stuff is shoved in. Maybe I'm not setting it up right. But today I did 140 just over 10 5 by minutes. I suck with reading a map, if I'm having problems now. How can I swing, those r my thoughts.

Did you guys experience the same kind of doubts at the beginning?

I tried to pull in the parking lot to scan the cods and punch out but couldn't pull it off in time. My sup keeps telling me it should be maximum 9.5. I'm trying but it ain't happening so frustrated.

Sent using BrownCafe App

PT Car Washer

Your first full day of driving and you were only an hour over? There are guys driving 20 years that never do that well. Sounds like you are off to a great start, now just don't hit anything.

mdnj88

Dude my first day alone I was 2 hours over allowed, the next morning my sup shook
My hand and was laughing saying he's surprised I even did that well. I'm sure you'll be fine. The map will come. What exactly is giving you problems?
My rte is fairly right and it's on 1 page of a standard map book so it's pretty easy to see the street.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
You were only a buck late with a 9.5 dispatch? They should be singing your praises. But remember do not got caught up with the good or bad but maintain an even keel. You can be having a great day and in a second it can turn to crap. Stay focused and you will do fine.

brown bomber

brown bomber
came in an hour early, to set up your truck....that's a big NO.....My first route was the heaviest route in the center (early 1980's),..500-600 pkgs./day, for delivery...about 40 pickups and picking up over 1000 pkgs....I survived this, without "setting up".....I'm certain that you could also

ArcherUTR

I used to do :censored2:ed up :censored2: like punch out before I was back at the center. That's just stupid.

If you want to do something slightly less stupid, instead pad your lunch. Both are integrity issues.

You job is to not have an accident. Making service is a distant second. Getting in before 9.5 is way further down the line.

Understanding how to orient a map and pages in the Mapsco is crucial.

Last edited:

redrooster

WOOF WOOF
Finally I got the chance to drive full day myself. I come in an hour early to setup my truck. It's been helping me just a little because last minute a **** load of stuff is shoved in. Maybe I'm not setting it up right. But today I did 140 just over 10 5 by minutes. I suck with reading a map, if I'm having problems now. How can I swing, those r my thoughts.

Did you guys experience the same kind of doubts at the beginning?

I tried to pull in the parking lot to scan the cods and punch out but couldn't pull it off in time. My sup keeps telling me it should be maximum 9.5. I'm trying but it ain't happening so frustrated.

Sent using BrownCafe App
More than anything WORK SAFE don't panic. Have a great attitude and convey that you will improve and achieve their numbers. Just keep steady and calm it gets easier. Once you make it and are a seniority driver you will figure out what pace works for you and how to keep them off your back.

30yearstolife

I was 3 hours over on my first day alone...over 25 years ago.
Do what ever it takes to make seniority.
The first 2-3 weeks are going to be challenging, but take it one stop at a time.
Once you get the hang of the job (6 months) being a swing driver and learning new routes will seem like a piece of cake in comparison.
At that point you wont be under the gun either.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Op never said he was only an hour over. Only said sup wants him in under 9.5. Could of been a 7 hour planned day for all we know.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Put me on a split or another route and I will be an hour over easy, especially if the load sucks. You are doing fine.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Just work safely. If your center is as hard up for drivers as mine is, as long as you don't screw up too badly, you'll qualify.
If you can get more fluid with your motions that will also speed you up a bit.

ArcherUTR

Wow that's relieving. I was scared lol, these guys put a lot of pressure and really scare you.

Sent using BrownCafe App

It still doesn't mean you will qualify, but yes, UPS is a bully especially when you challenge them.

My best advice is to be steady and efficient. Figure out where you are losing time, for example having the confidence and the tact to interrupt someone so that they will sign for the packages.