First day ft driving on Monday..

Logb17

I'm starting my first day on Monday. I have been driving sat air for ten years as well as working preload. Finally decided to sign up for full time. Got the message I'm starting Monday right as I passed a driver that was still out at 8:30. Needless to say I'm dreading Monday as I have done utility and know what it's like.

I have a lot of pressure to do this from my wife(wants to be a stay at home) and family, and they are all excited and happy, and I'm depressed.

How did you feel when you first got called up? Does it get better? Am I going to hate my life like I think I am? At first I was excited at the idea of going from 40k a year to 80k. Now I'm thinking it might not be worth it, but I have to much pressure, and can't back out now..

Also what happens with my pension. I've accumulated 15k a year, with peer 84. FT is peer 80. If I have to start over I'll be pissed. I'm west coast btw.

Johney

If you're depressed and dreading it now and haven't really done full-time(besides cover) then you are in big trouble. You need to discuss your feelings with your family.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you're depressed and dreading it now and haven't really done full-time(besides cover) then you are in big trouble. You need to discuss your feelings with your family.

I agree. Delivering during Peak can challenge even the most experienced driver--I can't imagine starting FT driving with only 15 (16?) days left. I said 16? because some of us will be working Christmas Eve.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
All your part time years count toward your 80 and out...I'm in west also. One thing I might add is try to be efficient with your day instead of getting in the habit of running and working unsafely....your body will not last having injuries over and over again.....good luck you'll be fine.

Johney

I have 10 yrs on the job and now c a shrink once a month and a therapist once a week....but man this is a great place to work
They must be paid for by UPS, they actually got you thinking this is a great place to work.LOL! Only joking! Good luck with your therapy I hope it helps you.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
i agree,,, your in for a world of hurt\

rocket man

tonights new post,s are wiping me out 10 years and you dont have a clue what drivings about? you must have been in a dungen . you never talked to a driver about this >? you never seen the package cars come in? just stay at the postion you have give it to person thats gonna make an effort. even some one off the street would have more knowledge then you would seem to have, ( 10 years i dont belive you)therer gonna put you on because they are out of drivers , ups upper managment never expected the volume thats coming in from internet shopping you didnt decide ,

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
They must be paid for by UPS, they actually got you thinking this is a great place to work.LOL! Only joking! Good luck with your therapy I hope it helps you.

I find Scotch is cheaper then a shrink. I highly recommened Johnie walker blue, sure it cost more but with the OT UPS gives us what the heck.:happy-very:

UPSGUY72

I'm starting my first day on Monday. I have been driving sat air for ten years as well as working preload. Finally decided to sign up for full time. Got the message I'm starting Monday right as I passed a driver that was still out at 8:30. Needless to say I'm dreading Monday as I have done utility and know what it's like.

I have a lot of pressure to do this from my wife(wants to be a stay at home) and family, and they are all excited and happy, and I'm depressed.

How did you feel when you first got called up? Does it get better? Am I going to hate my life like I think I am? At first I was excited at the idea of going from 40k a year to 80k. Now I'm thinking it might not be worth it, but I have to much pressure, and can't back out now..

Also what happens with my pension. I've accumulated 15k a year, with peer 84. FT is peer 80. If I have to start over I'll be pissed. I'm west coast btw.

Are you sure that you getting a FT Driver position and not just we need you to drive FT for Peak and after peak you will be back to your old routine??

Did you say your wife wants to quit work and stay home and spend all you money while you work 10 hours days ?? I bet she is happy I would be too if I where her.

You should know exactly what to expect if you have been driving are for 10 years.

DS

Fenderbender
Logb17, like rocketman said,you must already know what the job entails after 10 years.
Its not easy but the money will be good for the family,and it gets easier to take over time.
Just remember not not let things bother you,and do one stop at a time,and you will get it done.
If you can"t hack it ,don't feel sorry for yourself,the job is not for everyone.
I say,man up and git 'er done,there's a weird sense of accomplishment just punching out every night.
On the other hand,just tell your wife you want to be a stay at home husband,

Packmule

My experience is that it is sickeningly tough emotionally speaking at first, but as you get more of the routine, and get used to the hours, it gets better. You just have to get used to the idea that very few people can handle what you do everyday, and take some pride in that.
Now, if my body will just hold up to my mental state.....

Logb17

How long have you been with UPS altogether?

11 years in January.

This is an actual job I bid on. Not seasonal. 100% positive.

As far as talking to drivers, I have briefly. Some like it, Some hate every minute of it. Was just wondering about peoples feelings when they first started. I do have an idea what it's like. Just not day in and day out.

If it wasnt for the wife and kids I'd stay where I am at and wait who knows how long for a 22.3.

No I'm not lazy, probably the hardest worker on preload and have never had late air on Saturday's that wasn't EC. They have been wanting me to go FT for awhile.

Don't know why I'm stressing out so much..

UPSGUY72

Delivering packages is easy whether you have 80 or 230 stops in your car you can only deliver one at a time and they can't change that. It's how you deal with all the other crap that comes with the job that either makes it hard on you or not.

helenofcalifornia

And you start out at top wages or do you transition for 2 1/2 years? Makes a big difference if you are expecting more money. And I would suggest your wife go from FT to PT until you figure this thing out. Like it was said before, driving isn't for everyone and I think you already have reservations. Does your wife know that you will be seeing a lot less of here now that you will be driving FT? And I would make sure that you are being hired as a permanent driver and not seasonal. And will you be laid off in January? Anybody mention that at your center? Just asking.

DS

Fenderbender
Logb, the first week will be impossible,the next disheartening then there's insane,ridiculous,unappreciated,and the dreams start.
Work like a bastard all day and do the same thing all night.
You punch out at 9PM and the next day they tell you you were under 8.You need 10 more stops.
In the end the sadists lose out to us masochists.All in all,its just boxes,if you have a problem on road,make it theirs.and carry on.
Who knows,you might like it.