First day of driving.

Notcool

Took driving class this week I am a long time part timer. One more day of class and am told I start on Monday on route as a Temp driver. No diads in class just computer work. I'm wondering what to expect on the first day. What kind of training do the on car sups give you?

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Normally you would have 3 days of training.

Day 1---sup drives.

Day 2---both you and sup drive.

Day 3---you drive.

He's correct. I start next week and that's the schedule they have me on. I already told my ORS that if I get stressed and overwhelmed I'm going to ditch the package car in a nearby cornfield and have my wife come pick me up.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
He's correct. I start next week and that's the schedule they have me on. I already told my ORS that if I get stressed and overwhelmed I'm going to ditch the package car in a nearby cornfield and have my wife come pick me up.
You will not be the first nor the last to have that idea.

WorknLateHuh

i doubt your on road sup found it funny, considering you wouldnt be the first one to that.

drivers do some messed up things under stress.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Took driving class this week I am a long time part timer. One more day of class and am told I start on Monday on route as a Temp driver. No diads in class just computer work. I'm wondering what to expect on the first day. What kind of training do the on car sups give you?
Depends on your on car.
I wish the sup we have now was around when I started, it was sink or swim at the time. Now they're actually taking the time to train people properly.

AlliSeeisBrown

Driving with someone sounds fantastic. When I got called they said "we're not sure if we have someone to ride with you, you may just be delivering alone on Tuesday." Never driven for UPS a day in my life. "Alrighty!!" To the wolves I went.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Great attitude !
You want to make 35 an hour ?
Suck it up buttercup , we all got thru it

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
I rode with a sup for six hours my first day...then he had to leave and made me do the pickups alone...then the next day they had nobody to ride with me...they kept saying they would do a follow up ride "tomorrow" never had another sup with me until my annual safety ride a couple months ago...and they wonder why people can't make their 30 days at my center...............600 pieces in a truck here's the keys

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I would expect the company to use the OP as a helper, since they have no one to train him or her at this time.

TheMasochist

200 lbs? No problem - it's only my back
My first Sup, when I was OTS taught me with area knowledge. He didn't even know the route, but knew where he was going. His first words to me after the toll both, "I have never done this route, but we professionals never follow Orion anyways so let's have fun!"

TheMasochist

200 lbs? No problem - it's only my back
I'm kinda surprised they didn't give DIAD training. We did DIAD training for the last 30 minutes of class each day

Notcool

I have the option of running shuttles and Saturday air and work my normal hub shift because my superiors doesn't want to lose me during peak. Since I have no experience driving. I thought it would give me good experience to do that over starting a route during peak. And go for driving during summer vacations after having some experience. Any advice?

PT Car Washer

I have the option of running shuttles and Saturday air and work my normal hub shift because my superiors doesn't want to lose me during peak. Since I have no experience driving. I thought it would give me good experience to do that over starting a route during peak. And go for driving during summer vacations after having some experience. Any advice?
You would not be running a route during Peak. Just going out with some bulk deliveries in the morning and doing some bulk pick ups in the afternoon. Maybe run some misloads also.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I rode with a sup for six hours my first day...then he had to leave and made me do the pickups alone...then the next day they had nobody to ride with me...they kept saying they would do a follow up ride "tomorrow" never had another sup with me until my annual safety ride a couple months ago...and they wonder why people can't make their 30 days at my center...............600 pieces in a truck here's the keys
That sucks. Usually takes me a week to deliver 600 pieces.