First Day

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I agree but I don't see why that is sad?

IMG_1754.GIF

CoryAndTrevor

Like I said, don't let the door hit you.....

HR doesn't care. HR doesn't have a clue.

I hope you make it, but chances are good, you won't. And nobody will even notice you walking out.

We'll see. I actually think I was just getting worked up for no reason. When I think about it, so far I have no reason to doubt what they told me. I'm almost sure I'll drive for peak, and after that, what will be will be. I just lost my chill for a bit there. Actually, I've had a chest cold for about two weeks now, haven't taken any time off work so it's taking a long time to get over. I think working with that was getting me down. But I finally found a cough medicine I can take that doesn't mess with my blood pressure (can't have high blood pressure because kidney issues).

Don't worry everyone, the special snowflake is back on top. :clap:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
We'll see. I actually think I was just getting worked up for no reason. When I think about it, so far I have no reason to doubt what they told me. I'm almost sure I'll drive for peak, and after that, what will be will be. I just lost my chill for a bit there. Actually, I've had a chest cold for about two weeks now, haven't taken any time off work so it's taking a long time to get over. I think working with that was getting me down. But I finally found a cough medicine I can take that doesn't mess with my blood pressure (can't have high blood pressure because kidney issues).

Don't worry everyone, the special snowflake is back on top. :clap:
Oh, thank God!

DRporch

sounds like you were hired for peak, so if you do well (which most dont) you will get a driving job. but you will return to preload because it wont get busy until vacation season^_^ trust me i know.. i was hired from the outside for peak and got a fulltime position after peak. never had to load once, but i also was doing 250 stops in detroit. no helper until the fedex guy got robbed a street over.

CoryAndTrevor

Well then at least I'll make bank for a couple months. After that if I'm not driving at all, I can try to find something less strenuous on my precious little back muscles. My wife and I are starting a farm in a year or so, so whatev.

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
Again, I don't understand why this is a difficult concept. Low pay and hard work... Who does that if they don't need to? I understand some people are desperate for anything they can get, but I don't get how you can criticize me for not selling myself short. I get that driving the package car is hard work, and believe me I'm no stranger to hard work. My wife and I ran our own business for 5 years, we only gave it up because it was a pain in the as co-running it with her parents (with us doing most of the work, they were basically just there because they owned all the equipment).

Hard work is great-- starting at 18.75 an hour. Not 10.20. Like I said, they told me 6 weeks, I'm giving them 8, then I'm having a talk. I don't think that's unreasonable, and I don't understand where all the snark is coming from. You guys don't like newbies, or what?

You just sound like a whiny candy ass. You have no future. Maybe your wife could hack it. Until then, just keep sponging off her parents

CoryAndTrevor

You just sound like a whiny candy ass. You have no future. Maybe your wife could hack it. Until then, just keep sponging off her parents

Wow, go :censored2: yourself. You have no clue who you're talking to, and you're going to make assumptions? Her parents sponged off of our hard work, not the other way around. I payed 30k for a down payment so they could share a house with us, because otherwise they couldn't afford it, because they made a lot of bad business decisions, hence why me and the wife aren't working with them anymore. We just needed them on the mortgage because we didn't have any credit history; we pay half the mortgage. I'm not mooching off anybody. You can go ahead and apologize for that, or I'm writing you off, your choice.

SolidWoodPanel

You said they(her parents) owned all the equipment...Therefore they should take a nice chunk of your profits. Kinda how it works in every business and industry. That's business 101. If you love her, leave her.

CoryAndTrevor

Ok i can see that. But still, no point in slaving away your whole life. I mean, if you love it, sure, but we didn't anymore.

Anyway, more to the point, on Friday I tried working while wearing a weightlifting belt. Holy crap, it made a world of difference. Not sore one bit after work. Granted volume is lower on Fridays, but I'm excited to see how it goes with high volume today. They should make those belts mandatory, give them away to new hires. Mine was only 16 bucks, probably nothing compared to uniforms for drivers, and I'm sure it would cut down on back injuries.

You see? I'm not just here to complain. In my opinion, higher pay for package handlers would help the company run more smoothly as much as it would help the employees, just like wearing a belt helped me.

SolidWoodPanel

It's hard to find good workers at my location. I think the pay is higher in my area - $11 for a package handler, 25 for driving. That's the starting rates. But damn, the turnover is fairly high, and some people just really suck and make things more difficult for the whole line.

Make sure you stretch properly and hydrate. I stretch at my house and then again after I arrive at the hub. You might want to start do some yoga moves. Not kidding.

CoryAndTrevor

What kind of farm?

A bitch farm. :censored2: you.

Haha, just kidding. It's going to be a small organic operation, 5 to 10 acres. There's a lot of land within 2 hour of where we live now, around Reading in Southeast PA, where you can get a decent hous4 plus 5 to 10 acres of land, for the same price you'd pay for a house with 1 or less acres in a different area. Probably because no one is moving to farmland areas, I guess.

We're planning on starting with chickens for eggs, plus veggies (wife makes :censored2:ing killer pickled jalapenos with carrots and onions). If that stuff is profitable, we have a whole buttload of ideas, from honeybees to wine grapes to an orchard, even a :censored2:ing medieval themed hedgemaze with a Minotaur and riddles and :censored2:. Start small, see what's profitable, expand if we can, hire employees if we can afford them.

We love working together and setting our own schedule. We've done it on the past and it's the only way to go for us. Just waiting for some kidney money to come in. Long story short, a doctor :censored2:ed up when i was a baby and i had a kidney removed, parents got a nice annuity for me.

I know that probably sounds like I'm naive and don't know the meaning of hard work, but you'll just have to take my word for it that hard work ain't nothing but a thang for me and the Mrs.

Last edited:

CoryAndTrevor

It's hard to find good workers at my location. I think the pay is higher in my area - $11 for a package handler, 25 for driving. That's the starting rates. But damn, the turnover is fairly high, and some people just really suck and make things more difficult for the whole line.

Make sure you stretch properly and hydrate. I stretch at my house and then again after I arrive at the hub. You might want to start do some yoga moves. Not kidding.

It's funny, it really does seem like some of the shlubs they hire as package handlers are just kids who have no idea what professionalism and hard work mean. They think they can just jerk off on their phones while people like me actually give a :censored2: and try to make things go smoothly. Oh well, I'll be driving in a couple weeks, so no skin off my back, I guess.

SolidWoodPanel

The younger boys (18 to 21) seem like they we're heavily dosed with ritalin or whatever they're prescribing nowadays. Now that daycare is finished for them they can't seem to focus. I mean, it's fast paced. It's 3-3.5 hours. And they got one truck, yet they let almost a quarter of their packages go down the line. I caught one bitchboy literally zoning out while 20 packages came down the chute when he was supposed to be sorting. Definitely one of the :censored2:bags that stare smugly at themselves at the gym even though they'd get the :censored2: kicked out of them in a fight. I think he lasted three days before he lied or cried to his parents. Probably folding clothes at Hollister right now...

Reading's a nice spot. I used to live outside of Oxford.