First Day

JL 0513

Mentally, the easiest job at UPS is unloading in the local sort. I purposely stayed there in my years as a part timer because I didn't want to think (about work). Just wore my air buds all night working alone, no one bothering me. I was lucky to not have to load trailers much. That sucked in comparison.

trig

I started loading a week ago and I've been doing pretty well but still need to work on misloading... I start trying to work fast because we're getting hammered and it ends up costing me. My sup told me that they are hard on starting loaders because apparently if you have a rough time during the first few weeks, you only get worse as time goes on... Doesn't really make much sense seeing as the more you do something the better you get as long as you're trying, but oh well.

MzTeaze

Mentally, the easiest job at UPS is unloading in the local sort. I purposely stayed there in my years as a part timer because I didn't want to think (about work). Just wore my air buds all night working alone, no one bothering me. I was lucky to not have to load trailers much. That sucked in comparison.

I wanted to unload but got stuck with loading.

CoryAndTrevor

Seriously do yourself a favor and quit. Some guys wait 10 years to drive and your princess ass can't wait 2 months.

There is no way you can hack it as a driver with that attitude.

My attitude has nothing to do with it. My attitude is, minimum wage, adjusted for inflation, should be 10.50, based on 1968 rates, not counting what one would hope would be a national increase in the standard of living (this is America after all, right?).

So no, I'm not going to have a problem as a driver simply because I'd rather be driving than stuck doing a job I did not apply for. And I can wait two months perfectly fine, I specifically said that only after that, if it looks like they're just dicking me over because they needed more staff on local sort but didn't want me to know that when they hired me, THEN I would walk out.

Sounds like some of you missed my point on purpose?

Yeah, I did unloading, as well as smalls and loading the trailers that get fed by a chute. I guess I'm stuck on the "red belt" now (loading the trailers off the belt) because that's where they need the most help. Everyone there says it's the toughest job on local sort. It doesn't seem any tougher than loading the trailers from the chute though, just faster paced.

CoryAndTrevor

Don't let the door hit you....

Again, I don't understand why this is a difficult concept. Low pay and hard work... Who does that if they don't need to? I understand some people are desperate for anything they can get, but I don't get how you can criticize me for not selling myself short. I get that driving the package car is hard work, and believe me I'm no stranger to hard work. My wife and I ran our own business for 5 years, we only gave it up because it was a pain in the as co-running it with her parents (with us doing most of the work, they were basically just there because they owned all the equipment).

Hard work is great-- starting at 18.75 an hour. Not 10.20. Like I said, they told me 6 weeks, I'm giving them 8, then I'm having a talk. I don't think that's unreasonable, and I don't understand where all the snark is coming from. You guys don't like newbies, or what?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Again, I don't understand why this is a difficult concept. Low pay and hard work... Who does that if they don't need to? I understand some people are desperate for anything they can get, but I don't get how you can criticize me for not selling myself short. I get that driving the package car is hard work, and believe me I'm no stranger to hard work. My wife and I ran our own business for 5 years, we only gave it up because it was a pain in the as co-running it with her parents (with us doing most of the work, they were basically just there because they owned all the equipment).

Hard work is great-- starting at 18.75 an hour. Not 10.20. Like I said, they told me 6 weeks, I'm giving them 8, then I'm having a talk. I don't think that's unreasonable, and I don't understand where all the snark is coming from. You guys don't like newbies, or what?
You can talk til your blue in the face. They don't care.

Driving is based on seniority that's it.

My guess is they need seasonal drivers. You'll start driving after seasonal period starts then go back to the inside come January til at least summer time.

CoryAndTrevor

You can talk til your blue in the face. They don't care.

Oh I know, I have no illusions that they'll give a :censored2: about what I want or don't want. It's more about trying to let them know, hey look, you're an :censored2: for having your HR people make new hires think they're being set up for one thing, when the reality is totally different. That's basically it. Again, I know they won't care, but wouldn't it feel good...

My HR person basically said, once peak starts you'll start driving, after peak AND I QUOTE "You're guaranteed to have at least 2 or 3 days a week on the road." That's really all I'm looking for after peak. And it very may well be. The only reason I'm having conniptions right now is because a lot of people on this forum, and a few at my center, and hell some rando I just met today, say that they or someone they know wait years to drive. I'm hoping that's just because they were at centers that didn't need drivers. Mine seemed kind of desperate when they hired me. Three other guys walked out of the group interview because they needed full time work. So yeah, if HR tells me word-for-word that they hiring because they have a need for drivers, which they did, AND the head driver supervisor lady says they can't put me on the road for 6 weeks because they don't have enough sups to train new drivers... After all that, if they don't stick to what they told me, getting my hopes up, then I think I'm right to get a bit pissed. But maybe I'm just an entitled millenial!

MzTeaze

Oh I know, I have no illusions that they'll give a :censored2: about what I want or don't want. It's more about trying to let them know, hey look, you're an :censored2: for having your HR people make new hires think they're being set up for one thing, when the reality is totally different. That's basically it. Again, I know they won't care, but wouldn't it feel good...

My HR person basically said, once peak starts you'll start driving, after peak AND I QUOTE "You're guaranteed to have at least 2 or 3 days a week on the road." That's really all I'm looking for after peak. And it very may well be. The only reason I'm having conniptions right now is because a lot of people on this forum, and a few at my center, and hell some rando I just met today, say that they or someone they know wait years to drive. I'm hoping that's just because they were at centers that didn't need drivers. Mine seemed kind of desperate when they hired me. Three other guys walked out of the group interview because they needed full time work. So yeah, if HR tells me word-for-word that they hiring because they have a need for drivers, which they did, AND the head driver supervisor lady says they can't put me on the road for 6 weeks because they don't have enough sups to train new drivers... After all that, if they don't stick to what they told me, getting my hopes up, then I think I'm right to get a bit :censored2:. But maybe I'm just an entitled millenial!

Hate to state the obvious but I know at our center someone in HR wasn't providing all of the info up front during the group interview. This caused problems with at least two group hires per our orientation instructor. It happens.

For the record, I'm in a similar boat, so I get the frustration with the rate of pay for the work.

Over 70

My HR person basically said, once peak starts you'll start driving, after peak AND I QUOTE "You're guaranteed to have at least 2 or 3 days a week on the road." That's really all I'm looking for after peak. And it very may well be. The only reason I'm having conniptions right now is because a lot of people on this forum, and a few at my center, and hell some rando I just met today, say that they or someone they know wait years to drive. I'm hoping that's just because they were at centers that didn't need drivers. Mine seemed kind of desperate when they hired me. Three other guys walked out of the group interview because they needed full time work. So yeah, if HR tells me word-for-word that they hiring because they have a need for drivers, which they did, AND the head driver supervisor lady says they can't put me on the road for 6 weeks because they don't have enough sups to train new drivers... After all that, if they don't stick to what they told me, getting my hopes up, then I think I'm right to get a bit :censored2:. But maybe I'm just an entitled millenial!

Maybe you're just stupid

Over 70

Out of everywhere I've ever worked, I have never felt more insignificant to a company than at UPS.

Realizing this early and not caring are key.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
IMG_2484.JPG

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Out of everywhere I've ever worked, I have never felt more insignificant to a company than at UPS.

Realizing this early and not caring are key.

Once you understand that

Everything gets easier

Your a cog in the machine nothing more nothing less if you break just plug another cog in

Sad but true

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Dude you got the best screen name on here

Every time I see those 2 idiots I have to laugh