First picture of black hole

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
one blurry picture of a cigarette as its being inhaled could have saved us a billion dollars.
I did find this image that looks very much like a Black Hole.

Che Joint Black Hole.jpg

El Correcto

god is dead
Just to put this into perspective, that 'picture' is 55 million light years away.

It's clear you don't understand that, but here we are.

The orange halos around the black center are the expression of heat given off by everything falling into the black hole.

Whatever is falling in is falling in so fast that it's giving off light and heat, even as it gets subsumed, and we can see that light.

It's a cosmic sinkhole.

The diameter of the orange halos are over five light years wide.

I understand you don't get that, but that means:

186,000 miles per second X 60sec X 60min X 24hours X 365 days X 5,000.

Add it up B, it's wicked far.

Hey man, if you're not into science, you do you.

Post some more anime pics.
I don’t think of it as a cosmic sinkhole. I think of them as a ton of mass collapsing in on itself to form an extremely dense object that produces enough gravity to stop light from escaping its pull. I don’t picture it as a literal hole.

BrownArmy

I don’t think of it as a cosmic sinkhole. I think of them as a ton of mass collapsing in on itself to form an extremely dense object that produces enough gravity to stop light from escaping its pull. I don’t picture it as a literal hole.

This first picture of a black hole...

It's larger than our entire solar system.

I know you don't care, but this is a huge deal.

So, what's your issue with government sponsored research?

(And your reply will be typed on a computer, over the internet...)

rickyb

View attachment 243629
No refunds suckers.Eureka! Black Hole Photographed for 1st Time
At least 26 million :censored2: away by the national science foundation. Remind me why I’m paying an income tax again?
first of all i clicked on this thread because youre hilarous wrong.

secondly youre paying income tax because america has not copied the french healthcare system which if it did, you would not be paying income tax.

and finally, how can you trust the photo: did scientists take the picture? how do you know theyre not lying like 97% of them are about the climate catastrophe.

BrownArmy

...how can you trust the photo: did scientists take the picture? how do you know theyre not lying like 97% of them are about the climate catastrophe.

Guess we just can't trust anything, ever.

Can we, RickyB?

Guess we can't trust RT, or Julian Assange, or WikiLeaks.

Guess we can't trust Noam Chomsky, or Ralph Nader.

Guess we can't trust Canada.

I guess I can't even trust you - after all, you're just on the internet, the same place I saw the black hole pic.

Can't trust anything, these days.

How can I trust you, Ricky Bobby?

rickyb

Guess we just can't trust anything, ever.

Can we, RickyB?

Guess we can't trust RT, or Julian Assange, or WikiLeaks.

Guess we can't trust Noam Chomsky, or Ralph Nader.

Guess we can't trust Canada.

I guess I can't even trust you - after all, you're just on the internet, the same place I saw the black hole pic.

Can't trust anything, these days.

How can I trust you, Ricky Bobby?
or maybe wrong believes all the scientists disagree on global warming, or that the scientists dont all agree on it.

as for you, you gotta figure it out yourself or look it up. a friend of mine thinks everything is an opinion ie theres no truth. thats not my philosophy at all.

Michael E. Mann‏Verified account @MichaelEMann

We can capture the image of a black hole but we can't tackle climate change?

rickyb

We can tackle climate change.

Certain governments are taking it seriously.

The US 'won't' tackle climate change, at least not with this administration.

But, don't drop everything because it's not going your way.

Global Web Tour of EHT Observatories
probably depends on the whims of a movement than any government. is any country close to a sustainable system right now? some are farther ahead than others, but i have a feeling this system of consumerism where "everyone buys a copy of something and if one part breaks we throw it away" is not sustainable.

obama was an all of the above guy meaning he didnt give a :censored2:.

at least last 2 PMs of canada didnt give a :censored2: either.

El Correcto

god is dead
first of all i clicked on this thread because youre hilarous wrong.

secondly youre paying income tax because america has not copied the french healthcare system which if it did, you would not be paying income tax.

and finally, how can you trust the photo: did scientists take the picture? how do you know theyre not lying like 97% of them are about the climate catastrophe.
IKR, I could make that picture with Microsoft paint and a printer for a lot less than 26 million. Worse trade deal ever.

El Correcto

god is dead
This first picture of a black hole...

It's larger than our entire solar system.

I know you don't care, but this is a huge deal.

So, what's your issue with government sponsored research?

(And your reply will be typed on a computer, over the internet...)
The government didn’t “create” the internet, quit jerking yourself off to government. That’s only about 1/4th of the truth.

Okay cool there’s lots of things larger than our solar system, I’m not particularly impressed by that. There’s a giant black hole at the center of every galaxy wow so amazing, they’ve been examining their effects for years.

That I have to pay for it.

I know this is an unpopular opinion. But I think these grandiose ideas of space travel and exploring the stars is some fanatical BS. I don’t believe humans will ever conquer the stars. It’s pretty arrogant. When asked how these space dorks are worse than Christians with the hypotheticals and the I believe it’s our purpose they are just smart enough to put a time frame on it for longer than I’ll live, also dumb enough to. I don’t give a :censored2: about hypothetical future humans exploring space, I shouldn’t be subsidizing them. Leave my money out of it and start a go fund me next time you want a grainy 26 million dollar picture of some object. Space Travel is a bourgeois circle jerk fantasy of draining this planet of most it’s resources, letting the meek finally inherit it, while they float off to die in an unforgiving vacuum pissing away my tax dollars with them.

It will be fine

I’m putting this black hole picture right up there with fish running on treadmills when it comes to the government pissing away tax dollars.
You cry so much about taxes. Get over it or do something about it. Quit the broader economy, you have that freedom. Quit your job and exist in a cash only society and hide your earnings. But you’re not going to do that, just cry like a victim. Sad.