first time driver helper, tips needed

houdinilogic

I got assigned as a driver helper yesterday. What I don't understand is how i get assigned work. I am supposed to call my ups helper coordinator or do they call me? also, what things can i do as a helper to to assist my driver better, like things that get on your nerves, etc?

Last edited:

wayfair

swollen member
when they call, answer the phone... they will be calling early

please have a ride or transportation... hate that excuse

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Show up on time dressed and ready to work.

Work as directed.

Try to time your restroom breaks for when you have a delivery at a building with public restrooms.

Stay off your cellphone.

Walk at a brisk pace, don't run.

Cross behind the pkg car.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
I got assigned as a driver helper yesterday. What I don't understand is how i get assigned work. I am supposed to call my ups helper coordinator or do they call me? also, what things can i do as a helper to to assist my driver better, like things that get on your nerves, etc?
\\

Its pretty easy, call, show up on time, bring some food to snack and a drink. Go to door put package next to door knock on door come back to UPS package car, repeat 100 times.

Really unless you are epic lazy, you will be fine, just keep moving. And remember UPS cares.

WorknLateHuh

Be punctual

Bring your food

Use the bathroom before you start

Be observant to your surroundings

Move quickly but stay focussed to the directions given to you

FFS learn to Big Arrow down after u scan

nmang2412

As your driving be looking at the addresses/streets, see which side the odds/evens are, if there going up or down, and if the package is in the cab check the address to see the house before you pull up. If you do this youll find that the time flys by and when you know what your doing the job is more enjoyable.

Im not agreeing with the "sit down shut up" but the sit down is important, learn to put your seatbelt on quicky and consistently. The shut up part can go either way. You can have a driver that wants to be a chatty cathy or a driver that doesnt, just remember that drivers are out there all year by themselves they arent used to having someone with them, youll see.

Youll be fine just be on time and ready to work.

Brain Genocide

Hi . I'm also a helper, second week. My Driver calls me about 2 hours before we meet, he sets a meeting place. I show up 15 minutes early
and do more s tretches. Nothing gets on my nerves....so far. I bring enough water for myself, power bars as my snack. I will have a bag
of M&M's on the engine cover for both of us to share. I now found out his favorites are peanut butter and pretzle m&m's . I make it a daily
ritual now to being them. This week it's my turn to buy the Hotdog for lunch.

Follow you driver's movements, pay attention to what your driver does and says. You'll be fine

cino321

Hi . I'm also a helper, second week. My Driver calls me about 2 hours before we meet, he sets a meeting place. I show up 15 minutes early
and do more s tretches. Nothing gets on my nerves....so far. I bring enough water for myself, power bars as my snack. I will have a bag
of M&M's on the engine cover for both of us to share. I now found out his favorites are peanut butter and pretzle m&m's . I make it a daily
ritual now to being them. This week it's my turn to buy the Hotdog for lunch.

Follow you driver's movements, pay attention to what your driver does and says. You'll be fine

LOL

houdinilogic

thanks for the replies, everyone. two other things i'm curious about: if i dont get a call by 9 am should i assume that there's no work for me; i wasnt taught how to work the diad, will this be explained on my first day?