first time driver helper, tips needed

nmang2412

thanks for the replies, everyone. two other things i'm curious about: if i dont get a call by 9 am should i assume that there's no work for me; i wasnt taught how to work the diad, will this be explained on my first day?

Yeah after 9 is probly no work. Once you start working theyll only call you the first few days then its usually implied its the same time and place, otherwise your driver will call you.

gingerkat

If your driver points with his head "that house", just look at the box and address no matter what he/she says. It doesn't hurt to be sure.

Also, if you are unsure of what the driver means, clarify. It might irritate him, but it will really irritate him if you do the wrong thing.

If you stop and have a free minute, write some things down that will help you. When I get home I can stop and think about what I did wrong and how to fix it the next day.

I ask a ton of questions and my driver seems cool with it. If I understand why I'm doing something, I do a better job at it. Now I'm even sorting the back when I can.

Good luck

1080Driver

If a customer hands you an envelope, be sure to give it to the driver because once he finds out you took it, you'll need to call a cab

JakeD

Yeah just a sign of the times I guess. Never would I have ever thought about joining some forum about a job I was going to have for a month.

When you get almost zero information in "orientation" where else can folks learn about what they are doing? I'd give folks who are trying to be better, quicker for that short period of time credit. I'm guessing the drivers who benefited from not having to show helpers every little thing are happy about it.

you figure a small % of the people who try harder than the rest will be drivers, sups or management some day. just something to think about

JakeD

Good God I hope my helper shows up tomorrow...

(He's been clutch for the last two weeks...)

Ha.. my driver says Wed is the worst day of the year since the load is almost the same minus a helper. he's like you know i'm going to be looking for you to get out and then i'll have to do it.