Food Stamps: Big Heart or Big Profits?

Nimnim

The Nim
And, most of them are WHITE!! OMG!!

Does it really matter what race they were? There's a systemic issue when it comes to food stamps/ebt/snap whatever it's called and it's not isolated to any single race. The system needs to be fixed so that those that truly need it get the assistance and those that don't well don't.

moreluck

golden ticket member
10322821_10152129185246700_3410531788671727258_n.png

wkmac

Food Stamps have actually been a successful program. Lincoln started the Dept. of Agriculture in 1862' and it's purpose was to benefit farmers. The food stamp program allows the State to appear benevolent and compassionate while at the same time serves to mop up excess food production which keeps food prices up. It also provides a huge money making function for a middle man industry that has grown between farmer and consumer that is now a great divide. This middle man has also become a powerful force in both domestic and global politics which insures its place at the end of taxpayer hands will only continue long into the future. Capitalism at its best actually!

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Sorry, Wal-Mart, Amazon wants your food-stamp customers too

Amazon is authorized to start the experiment this summer in New York, New Jersey and Maryland.

FreshDirect, Safeway, ShopRite and Hy-Vee are also joining the pilot program of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), which last year provided more than $66 billion of help to 44.2 million needy Americans. Those grocers will also be implementing the pilot in Washington, Oregon, Pennsylvania and Iowa. This will be the first time SNAP has accepted online payment for groceries.

Low-income shoppers are an intriguing target for Amazon, which has been trying with mixed success to disrupt the $800 billion grocery market. More than 80 percent of food-stamp recipients live in or near big cities, which are served by Amazon’s vast network of warehouses and are home to the affluent and poor in close proximity. A truck delivering gluten-free chia seed bars and organic soy coffee creamer to Manhattan’s posh Upper West Side can also cart a box of cereal, bread and baby food to low-income housing projects in Harlem.

Sorry, Wal-Mart, Amazon wants your food-stamp customers too

Amazon is authorized to start the experiment this summer in New York, New Jersey and Maryland.

FreshDirect, Safeway, ShopRite and Hy-Vee are also joining the pilot program of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), which last year provided more than $66 billion of help to 44.2 million needy Americans. Those grocers will also be implementing the pilot in Washington, Oregon, Pennsylvania and Iowa. This will be the first time SNAP has accepted online payment for groceries.

Low-income shoppers are an intriguing target for Amazon, which has been trying with mixed success to disrupt the $800 billion grocery market. More than 80 percent of food-stamp recipients live in or near big cities, which are served by Amazon’s vast network of warehouses and are home to the affluent and poor in close proximity. A truck delivering gluten-free chia seed bars and organic soy coffee creamer to Manhattan’s posh Upper West Side can also cart a box of cereal, bread and baby food to low-income housing projects in Harlem.
Fantastic!
To lazy to work, now they are too lazy to shop

GTFO

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Fantastic!
To lazy to work, now they are too lazy to shop

GTFO
I think the idea is that the bodega down the block doesn't carry anything but flamin hot Cheetos and bud ice, so instead of choosing that or catching a bus out of their urban food desert, they can buy it online.

No doubt it will be abused like every other government program. But hey on the up side it sounds like job security to me. You've gotta have some hard working middle class guy like me to deliver this crap, keeps food on more than one table.

At the end of the day it proves the program is just as much to benefit the corporate freeloaders as it is the individual.

I think the idea is that the bodega down the block doesn't carry anything but flamin hot Cheetos and bud ice, so instead of choosing that or catching a bus out of their urban food desert, they can buy it online.

No doubt it will be abused like every other government program. But hey on the up side it sounds like job security to me. You've gotta have some hard working middle class guy like me to deliver this crap, keeps food on more than one table.

At the end of the day it proves the program is just as much to benefit the corporate freeloaders as it is the individual.
I want free Cheetos.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
In federal court in Arkansas, woman admits to $262,691 food-stamp fraud

A woman admitted Thursday to using stolen identifiers, the Zillow real estate website and routine postal services to fool three states into sending federal benefits meant for poor people straight to her Little Rock doorstep.

"Yes sir, I'm guilty," Keashia Latriese Davis told U.S. District Judge D. Price Marshall Jr. when he asked if she was sure she wanted to plead guilty to 17 counts of wire fraud instead of taking her chances with a jury trial.

When Davis is sentenced in September, she will receive credit for pleading guilty to defrauding the government out of $262,691 between April 2015 and May 2016, instead of forcing the government to try her. But she is still facing up to 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.

In late June, an agent with the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Office of Inspector General testified that during the execution of a search warrant at Davis' apartment on Rebsamen Park Road on June 9, agents found 17 bags full of other peoples' names, Social Security numbers, dates of birth, phone numbers and addresses.

Agent Kevin Porter said it was "the most I've ever seen in any location."

He said the sacks contained not only the various identifiers but detailed notebooks that were believed to have been used in the scheme to fraudulently obtain benefits through the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP.

At the time, Davis lived in the apartment with at least four of her children, who ranged from elementary-school age to adults. Also found in the apartment was mail belonging to other residents of the Vantage Point apartment complex, including a tax refund check, the rightful owner of which had been complaining to the government about the missing refund for months, and a check from a utility company made out to a former neighbor of Davis' from when she lived on Chicot Road.

upschuck

Personally, I'd like to see food stamps limited to certain categories of food, similar to the WIC program, but without the brand specific limitations.