Fooling telematics

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
You guys keep giving us the info. We are still a long way before we get telematics (I hope). We have 2 new trucks with the wiring, but there has not been any talk about it in the building yet.
You guys in Maine should ask for indoor plumbing before you get Telematics lol lol lol lol lol lol

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I dug up this old thread to ask a few questions, since my Center went live on telematics last week. I usually run about 150-160 stops a day, mostly DR. I am getting about 50 minutes idle time and three improper backs a day my first week and maybe one seatbelt, bulkhead door, and moving DIAD. Is this normal? I'm still trying to break the old habits I was taught before, as far as the sequence of seatbelt and ignition go. I can't figure out what I think is a too high of idle time, it seems like I should be at 25-30 minutes. I am wondering if every type of backing is recorded, since I probably still have to back up 30-40 times to turn around and this isn't showing on the reports. One of our runner drivers wants to know if shifting from Drive to Neutral and rolling backwards down a driveway shows up as a backing incident........

porkwagon

I dug up this old thread to ask a few questions, since my Center went live on telematics last week. I usually run about 150-160 stops a day, mostly DR. I am getting about 50 minutes idle time and three improper backs a day my first week and maybe one seatbelt, bulkhead door, and moving DIAD. Is this normal? I'm still trying to break the old habits I was taught before, as far as the sequence of seatbelt and ignition go. I can't figure out what I think is a too high of idle time, it seems like I should be at 25-30 minutes. I am wondering if every type of backing is recorded, since I probably still have to back up 30-40 times to turn around and this isn't showing on the reports. One of our runner drivers wants to know if shifting from Drive to Neutral and rolling backwards down a driveway shows up as a backing incident........
Rolling back in neutral will not show up.

UPSGUY72

Like the other say if you roll back in neutral it would show as a back. Every type of backing is recorded. For backing exceptions just put the car in forward and move forward not matter how little before you put it in reverse. As for the idle time if your not moving when the car is running the time is going up. Some people are going to have high idle time due to traffic. If you drive a Diesel they have a turbo and it runs a couple of seconds after you shut the car off if you stop complete before this it recording while idling. You can look at your edd when the car is running and you won't have a problem just don't stop complete anything.
If you have problem with the bulkhead door write it up maybe they can fix it from opening when your driving :happy2:.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Like the other say if you roll back in neutral it would show as a back. Every type of backing is recorded. For backing exceptions just put the car in forward and move forward not matter how little before you put it in reverse. As for the idle time if your not moving when the car is running the time is going up. Some people are going to have high idle time due to traffic. If you drive a Diesel they have a turbo and it runs a couple of seconds after you shut the car off if you stop complete before this it recording while idling. You can look at your edd when the car is running and you won't have a problem just don't stop complete anything.
If you have problem with the bulkhead door write it up maybe they can fix it from opening when your driving :happy2:.

During last peak I covered a route one day with a truck that had the bulk head fly open every time I made a right turn or hit a bump. I put it down in the DVR but still had a lecture on it the next day. I was so ticked because even before telematics I always took driven with bulkhead closed seriously. It's a hazard cause why would you want to risk an ereg or other pieces flying into your cab while driven.I thought that was a Fredex trademark.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

During last peak I covered a route one day with a truck that had the bulk head fly open every time I made a right turn or hit a bump. I put it down in the DVR but still had a lecture on it the next day. I was so ticked because even before telematics I always took driven with bulkhead closed seriously. It's a hazard cause why would you want to risk an ereg or other pieces flying into your cab while driven.I thought that was a Fredex trademark.

Did you send an ODS during the day letting them know about the door?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
....my Center went live on telematics last week. I usually run about 150-160 stops a day, mostly DR. I am getting about 50 minutes idle time and three improper backs a day my first week and maybe one seatbelt, bulkhead door, and moving DIAD. Is this normal? ...

Yes it is normal.

You are pretty much guranteed to show up on a report. Any action you take to get off of one report will simply cause you to show up on a different one. Your idle time, for instance, will always be "too high" in the opinion of someone who sits behind a desk all day looking at Google Earth maps of your route. Same thing with "improper" or "excessive" backing. Bottom line is that you cant be disciplined for any of that crap, so you need to learn to tune your management team out when they start whining about it. Just nod your head and say "I'll work on that" and go about your business.

Indecisi0n

Hey scratch,try this,hop in the seat,put the key in the ignition,put on the seatbelt,start it up.

Have key in your right hand with ign key in fingers. As you slide into the seat you slide the ign key into slot. As you move to the left to pull mirror, sit back belt ign and go.

tracker2762

You have 3 seconds to switch from to reverse to neutral before it shows as a back.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
Yes it is normal.

You are pretty much guranteed to show up on a report. Any action you take to get off of one report will simply cause you to show up on a different one. Your idle time, for instance, will always be "too high" in the opinion of someone who sits behind a desk all day looking at Google Earth maps of your route. Same thing with "improper" or "excessive" backing. Bottom line is that you cant be disciplined for any of that crap, so you need to learn to tune your management team out when they start whining about it. Just nod your head and say "I'll work on that" and go about your business.
I agree that you can't be disciplined for what shows up on the report, but it will eventually result in you being the target for "observations" while you're out delivering. If then catch you in the act, then that's when you will be disciplined.
That being said, I disagree with you saying that we are guaranteed to show up on a report. In the last year or two of keeping an eye on their "reports", I have yet to appear on any of them. I use the methods and am always near or at the bottom of the "idle" report and have never showed up on the seat belt, recording while idling or moving, or bulkhead door reports. I average less than 12 backing incidents per day and they are all as a result of dead-end streets or cul-de-sacs that are blocked by improperly parked cars.

tracker2762

I agree that you can't be disciplined for what shows up on the report, but it will eventually result in you being the target for "observations" while you're out delivering. If then catch you in the act, then that's when you will be disciplined.
That being said, I disagree with you saying that we are guaranteed to show up on a report. In the last year or two of keeping an eye on their "reports", I have yet to appear on any of them. I use the methods and am always near or at the bottom of the "idle" report and have never showed up on the seat belt, recording while idling or moving, or bulkhead door reports. I average less than 12 backing incidents per day and they are all as a result of dead-end streets or cul-de-sacs that are blocked by improperly parked cars.

Yet if you were to run a trip similar to mine, you would average 30 to 50 backs a day. You would show up at the top of report and there's nothing you can do about it. So even though I'm consistently at the top of the report, I won't be brought in to the office for it although we did have a discussion about backed distance and I did cut that down a lot. There are routes that require backing and mine is one and yours is not. We have drivers that back only once or twice a day and it has nothing to do with there methods.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

1. They are going to "observe" you whether you show up on a report or not

2. "Excessive" idle time is an entirely subjective measurement, and it is not grounds for any sort of disciplinary action per the labor agreement.

3. "Excessive" backing is also an entirely subjective measurement, and is also not grounds for any sort of disciplinary action per the labor agreement.

4. We are trained to buckle the belt, turn the key and drive away in one smooth motion. Having the car move an inch or two before the belt is buckled might trigger a report, but (a) it is not grounds for any sort of disciplinary action per the labor agreement and (b) the odds of a supervisor being parked at the right place and time to observe such action with a telephoto lens are so minute as to be a practical impossibility.

5. We open the BH door hundreds of times per day. It is a statistical certainty that at some point it will fail to latch, thereby triggering a report. Said report is not grounds for disciplinary action per the labor agreement, and the odds of a supervisor being parked at the right place and time to observe such an incident are also so remote as to be a practical impossibility.

We need to follow the methods as far as wearing the seatbelt, closing the BH door, and making every reasonable effort to keep backing and idle time to a minimum. What we dont need to do....is to meet arbitrary and subjective "quotas" for backing and idling, or to fear disciplinary action for minor, irrelevant and occasional failure to follow those methods 100% of the time.