For the 'Vote NO On Everything' crowd...what would you call a good contract?

stink219

what good does having ANY language in the contract about 9.5 unless it is enforced? And I started preloading in 1984, and I used to always adjust loads for 8HR days.
I made a ton of extra cash from 9.5 grievances. Other guys have been paid also. Some guys just complain about hours but will never sign a grievance. I can't help that. I try. I tell them I'll word it, but if it's their infraction, they need to sign it. Not sure what you mean by enforced. It wasn't until the 6th one that they adjusted my load. I go over once in a while but that's to be expected.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Can't argue with your second paragraph, but as far as your first paragraph: what good does having ANY language in the contract about 9.5 unless it is enforced? And I started preloading in 1984, and I used to always adjust loads for 8HR days.
In my building, that entailed launching packages out of the back of the truck back onto the belt, staring down any sup who starting blabbering about work as directed, smiling back at them while nodding your head, shutting your rear door, leave anyway. Sound about the same?

Asskicker

There are also opportunities for 22.3 jobs to end the 9.5 issue but why isn't the Union addressing this? If you made preload/driver helper jobs a driver would have a guy for four hours....now lets see...8 + 4 is....hmmmm...12!!!!! So a driver would have his eight hours worth of work, a part-timer would have his full time combo job, and everyone would be happy right? So why in the HELL isn't the Union smart enough to contract for these jobs? I would think the company would be happy because a combo guy would make straight pay for those four hours instead of a driver making time and a half for those hours, and they would burn less gas because you would have two people in the truck. BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Obviously there would still be drivers working twelve hours but you would have helpers to send out daily to eliminate the 9.5 drivers issues. Isn't anyone else thinking this????????

sortaisle

Let's say you have a 100 route building. Driver helpers are suppose to be 50% effective meaning 1 1/2 people per labor hours. 4 hours would mean they would load you up with a normal 12 hour day so you can get it done in 8. That would reduce the routes in the building by about 20% so you would have 80 routes instead of 100. The union gets a lot of their money from drivers dues and I don't see drivers wanting to get rid of 20% of the routes in the building. Never going to happen.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Let's say you have a 100 route building. Driver helpers are suppose to be 50% effective meaning 1 1/2 people per labor hours. 4 hours would mean they would load you up with a normal 12 hour day so you can get it done in 8. That would reduce the routes in the building by about 20% so you would have 80 routes instead of 100. The union gets a lot of their money from drivers dues and I don't see drivers wanting to get rid of 20% of the routes in the building. Never going to happen.

Out of those 100 routes probably only 30-40 would it make any sense to use a helper. Also the example was have a driver helper for 4 hours a day. That would mean your 12 hour example would be a 10 hour day.

Would some routes be cut. I'm sure they would but not really all that many.

sortaisle

Out of those 100 routes probably only 30-40 would it make any sense to use a helper. Also the example was have a driver helper for 4 hours a day. That would mean your 12 hour example would be a 10 hour day.

Would some routes be cut. I'm sure they would but not really all that many.
You're inline with reality. I'm using UPS logic. My apologies. They'd still cut routes because the bean counter :censored2:bags would have a reason to.

Asskicker

Exactly right Brownslave. They are cutting routes now and sending drivers out with 12 hours daily. I for one don't know how any human being can work those hours doing this kind of back breaking work week after week. I think the company agenda is to cripple these guys before they can collect a pension. Why isn't the Union filing unsafe labor practices on UPS. It's ridiculous that the Union stands for this. I'm sure they can find enough people who will take these hours voluntarily without trying to screw everyone because they can.

stink219

Exactly right Brownslave. They are cutting routes now and sending drivers out with 12 hours daily. I for one don't know how any human being can work those hours doing this kind of back breaking work week after week. I think the company agenda is to cripple these guys before they can collect a pension. Why isn't the Union filing unsafe labor practices on UPS. It's ridiculous that the Union stands for this. I'm sure they can find enough people who will take these hours voluntarily without trying to screw everyone because they can.
1. Follow the methods. We do not have a production standard. I work some 12 hour days. I know when I leave the building how my day will be. If its long, I won't work as hard. You can work long or hard but you can't do both. It's a marathon not a sprint.
2. Thank the government for invoking the driving window of 14 hours. The union was in a fight for years to have that changed and reduced.
3. You should be as safe as you can first. Hydration, bathroom breaks do not need to be a scheduled break.
4. The hours I agree are excessive, but it's not as simple to just add a driver. The cost of health, pension, training, gas, maintenance of vehicles above the wage is what prevents them from adding.
As long as we make a high wage, good perks and the government has a huge driving window, UPS and others will keep cutting.

stink219

ARTICLE 37.
MANAGEMENT EMPLOYEE RELATIONS
Section 1.
(a) The parties agree that the principle of a fair day’s work for a fair day’s pay shall be observed at all times and employees shall perform their duties in a manner that best represents the Employer’s interest. The Employer shall not in any way intimidate, harass, coerce or overly supervise any employee in the performance of his or her duties. The Employer will treat employees with dignity and respect at all times, which shall include, but not be limited to, giving due consideration to the age and physical condition of the employee. Employees will also treat each other as well as the Employer with dignity and respect.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
ARTICLE 37.
MANAGEMENT EMPLOYEE RELATIONS
Section 1.
(a) The parties agree that the principle of a fair day’s work for a fair day’s pay shall be observed at all times and employees shall perform their duties in a manner that best represents the Employer’s interest. The Employer shall not in any way intimidate, harass, coerce or overly supervise any employee in the performance of his or her duties. The Employer will treat employees with dignity and respect at all times, which shall include, but not be limited to, giving due consideration to the age and physical condition of the employee. Employees will also treat each other as well as the Employer with dignity and respect.

This whole article needs to be rewritten big time...most of the wording is so ambiguous...