For Unloaders Only "On Topic" Load Stand Safety Violations

Integrity

Binge Poster
This is for you if you are an unloader or were an unloader.

While traveling through a facility an unloader came to me and asked me the following question and I quote:

"Why do they train us to use the plastic yellow stands when unloading and then expect us not to use them?"

I was confused so I asked him what he was talking about because it is clear that the Executives of UPS expect all training methods to be strictly adhered to.

He said," Yeah right, they showed us how to use it and in training they tell us that they must be used but the first thing the unload supervisor showed me was how to dig out the middle of a wall and collapse the wall down so I didn't have to use the stand."

I wasn't sure what to say but I said that isn't right.

I am not sure how I want to handle this so I thought I'd bring it to this forum.

Any thoughts, comments or advice would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
I

PS

To My Fellow UPS Workers,

The sole purpose of this discussion thread is not to gripe or complain about conditions at UPS, management, the Union or for that matter anything at all about UPS. The sole purpose of this discussion thread is to discuss the following work-related issue with other employees as an initial step in engaging in some concerted activity to bring this issue up to the company as a group.

It is my hope that by addressing this issue in concert we not only be working for our own mutual aid, protection and improved working conditions, but we will be working for the benefit of any and all coworkers that may have been adversely affected by this issue.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Never heard any of mine expect you to not use them. Though more effective use can be made of them with two in a trailer.

You can build pretty nice walls while loading a trailer if you use one, but my sups for that expect the belt to be loaded up so much you could never keep up if you used the stand. So to hell with it. Head height walls are the best they'll get.

They train you to use them so when it comes to audit inspection time, you can then use the stand like you are suppose to do in every 53ft-er and save the supervisors rear ends. Everyday as an unloadeder at UPS nobody uses these stands; every worker breaks down walls and stands on top of the belt instead. I'm glad that you brought this topic up for discussion and can't wait until it builds up.

Last edited:
Never heard any of mine expect you to not use them. Though more effective use can be made of them with two in a trailer.

You can build pretty nice walls while loading a trailer if you use one, but my sups for that expect the belt to be loaded up so much you could never keep up if you used the stand. So to hell with it. Head height walls are the best they'll get.
The yellow stands are more effective yes when loading trailers. If the canvas is tall enough, he or she does not need the yellow steeping stand when unloading (yes it is NOT SAFE and people do it all of the time ) But like I said, when audit inspection time comes be sure you are using the stand or your sup won't be happy.

Last edited:
T

Turdferguson

This is for you if you are an unloader or were an unloader.

While traveling through a facility an unloader came to me and asked me the following question and I quote:

"Why do they train us to use the plastic yellow stands when unloading and then expect us not to use them?"

I was confused so I asked him what he was talking about because it is clear that the Executives of UPS expect all training methods to be strictly adhered to.

He said," Yeah right, they showed us how to use it and in training they tell us that they must be used but the first thing the unload supervisor showed me was how to dig out the middle of a wall and collapse the wall down so I didn't have to use the stand."

I wasn't sure what to say but I said that isn't right.

I am not sure how I want to handle this so I thought I'd bring it to this forum.

Any thoughts, comments or advice would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
I

PS

To My Fellow UPS Workers,

The sole purpose of this discussion thread is not to gripe or complain about conditions at UPS, management, the Union or for that matter anything at all about UPS. The sole purpose of this discussion thread is to discuss the following work-related issue with other employees as an initial step in engaging in some concerted activity to bring this issue up to the company as a group.

It is my hope that by addressing this issue in concert we not only be working for our own mutual aid, protection and improved working conditions, but we will be working for the benefit of any and all coworkers that may have been adversely affected by this issue.
Discuss with the management team why people would feel,as though they are not encouraging their use. Maybe develop a skit on the dangers of not using load stands. I feel a message is better delivered using comedy, but you could go the tragic route and demonstrate gruesome accidents that have happened because of no load stand.

Discuss with the management team why people would feel,as though they are not encouraging their use. Maybe develop a skit on the dangers of not using load stands. I feel a message is better delivered using comedy, but you could go the tragic route and demonstrate gruesome accidents that have happened because of no load stand.
Enough with the over exaggeration with the unload stand. The worst that can happen is you slip and fall due to a rainy weather condition, or the wall of boxers falls on top of you while using the stand, or an overweight is placed on top of the wall when it should be on the bottom and lands on your head.

T

Turdferguson

Enough with the over exaggeration with the unload stand. The worst that can happen is you slip and fall due to a rainy weather condition, or the wall of boxers falls on top of you while using the stand, or an overweight is placed on top of the wall when it should be on the bottom and lands on your head.
Tell that to the guy who got his testicles shorn off because he didn't use a load stand

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I think this thread is a joke as is the op but that's the worst that could happen?

Sounds pretty bad to me.

box_beeyotch

UPS just wants to be able to say they trained you to use them so when you have an injury, the blame lies 100 percent on you for not using it. The truth of the matter is they dont care if you get injured, they just want to cover their backside. They don't really want you to use it if it slows you down. They can preach what they want, but the only ones buying it are the people to stupid to open their eyes and stop sucking the company junk.

J

jibbs

UPS just wants to be able to say they trained you to use them so when you have an injury, the blame lies 100 percent on you for not using it. The truth of the matter is they dont care if you get injured, they just want to cover their backside. They don't really want you to use it if it slows you down. They can preach what they want, but the only ones buying it are the people to stupid to open their eyes and stop sucking the company junk.

They also don't want their employees injured on the job, which is why when it happens they do everything possible to try to shoulder the blame onto the employee.

Tryna have their cake and eat it too, the bastards...

Integrity

Binge Poster
i feel safer tearing down the walls than lifting packages and balancing on the load stand
dantheman52,

This is not how you are taught in your original training is it?

You are taught to properly use a load stand and bring the VHE to your work and raise and lower it during the unload of the feeder. Correct?

Sincerely,
I

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
That's what I meant. They dont care about your health or well being, only that it costs the center money to again not be a statistic on a report. They don't care about your safety.
Ah my mistake, misread it.

I personally do care if someone gets hurt. But I know of at least 1 sup in my building who doesn't give a crap.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
i feel safer tearing down the walls than lifting packages and balancing on the load stand

This.

Hence why the non-use. And really it is just one more thing to move, adjust, and basically just plain in the :censored3:ing way, many multiple times if used properly; like loaders and unloaders do not have enough to do as is.