For Unloaders Only "On Topic" Load Stand Safety Violations

10 point

The load stands are great for working by objects that don't move...maybe like washing truck windows.

The platforms aren't wide or deep enough to give the employee egress to move during an unexpected avalanche and they give you a greater distance to fall vs a flat trailer surface.

livin the dream

dantheman52,

This is not how you are taught in your original training is it?

You are taught to properly use a load stand and bring the VHE to your work and raise and lower it during the unload of the feeder. Correct?

Sincerely,
I

any training i had as an unloader was from other employees who happened to be in the truck with me. all i ever "learned" from a sup was how to frantically throw packages on the belt while keeping my eyes on the walls. i agree with other people here, UPS could not care less about safety. that is, until an audit.

Integrity

Binge Poster
They train you to use them so when it comes to audit inspection time, you can then use the stand like you are suppose to do in every 53ft-er and save the supervisors rear ends. Everyday as an unloadeder at UPS nobody uses these stands; every worker breaks down walls and stands on top of the belt instead. I'm glad that you brought this topic up for discussion and can't wait until it builds up.
Number24,

This doesn't seem right to me.

You?

Is this what you do?

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Discuss with the management team why people would feel,as though they are not encouraging their use. Maybe develop a skit on the dangers of not using load stands. I feel a message is better delivered using comedy, but you could go the tragic route and demonstrate gruesome accidents that have happened because of no load stand.
turdferguson,

It has been said that they are not enforcing the use of them, and the area supervisors are giving methods of unloading the feeder that conflict with the video and the methods given during orientation.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
UPS just wants to be able to say they trained you to use them so when you have an injury, the blame lies 100 percent on you for not using it. The truth of the matter is they dont care if you get injured, they just want to cover their backside. They don't really want you to use it if it slows you down. They can preach what they want, but the only ones buying it are the people to stupid to open their eyes and stop sucking the company junk.
box_beeyotch,

If failing to use one is going to adversely effect an employee if an injury occurs as a result of not using one, then what is the motivation for employees not to do what the company says?

Please help me with this illogical position of non-use.

I just don't get it.

If an employee is trained that the load stand must be used then why is the employee not using the load stand as trained?

It seems illogical and immature for an employee to blame someone else (area supervisor) for not following clearly documented company training given to them?

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
What he said was "When walking through a facility..." which leads me to believe he may be w/Keter.
UpstateNYUPSer,

What does this statement have to do with the topical discussion?

The request for "On Topic" was made.

Trying to derail the thread from the discussion topic is not very nice.

In discussion threads that I start, in the future I would appreciate if you would focus on the topic and not the messenger.

I thank you for your consideration with this.

FYI You also misquoted me in your post.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
any training i had as an unloader was from other employees who happened to be in the truck with me. all i ever "learned" from a sup was how to frantically throw packages on the belt while keeping my eyes on the walls. i agree with other people here, UPS could not care less about safety. that is, until an audit.
dantheman52,

I understand, I have seen a lot of inconsistencies over my years of traveling through a few different buildings.

The deeper question I have for you is...

How do you feel about safety?

Do you care about safety where you work?

Do you act differently when there is an audit?

Do you care about yourself?

Your fellow workers?

Sincerely,
I

livin the dream

as a pter I didn't change anything during an audit. if anything was said to me the sups would have some explaining to do, not me. I care about safety, but having to recite the 8 steps to lifting and lowering a package is absurd

T

Turdferguson

turdferguson,

It has been said that they are not enforcing the use of them, and the area supervisors are giving methods of unloading the feeder that conflict with the video and the methods given during orientation.

Sincerely,
I
Thanks for the reply @Integrity and the information.

Integrity

Binge Poster
as a pter I didn't change anything during an audit. if anything was said to me the sups would have some explaining to do, not me. I care about safety, but having to recite the 8 steps to lifting and lowering a package is absurd
dantheman52,

That is awesome that you didn't change anything during audits.

Were you ever trained on the proper use of the VHE?

I agree with you, simply reciting the 8 steps of lifting and lowering a package is absurd.

Demonstrating you know how to lift the UPS way by doing the 8 steps occasionally is fine, if it is followed up with enforcement of the 8 steps by the use of progressive discipline for those observed not using the 8 steps.

The 8 steps for lifting and lowering should not be used to blame an employee when they get a lifting/lowering injury.

It should be used as a standard of how lifting is expected to be done while working as UPS employee and a Teamster if you are union.

Individuals who refuse or are incapable of lifting according to these steps should be cared for by being coached to correction using whatever means necessary.

If they can't do it, for their own safety and the good of the company and the union, they should be relieved of their duties.

Sincerely,
I