For Unloaders Only "On Topic" Load Stand Safety Violations

Integrity

Binge Poster
I don't even know what a vhe is
dantheman52,

There are several mentions of the VHE on the UPS Safety Calendars each year. These calendars are posted on the Joint UPS/Teamster Safety Boards.

VHE stands for Variable Height Extendo.

They are commonly referred to as Extendos, UNL-16s and UNL-46s, sometimes just unloaders.

The original and main purpose of these is for lift/lower injury reduction in the unload area and not production as some say.

The ability to keep the work in the power zone by raising and lowering the VHE is the main safety feature to help prevent lifting/lowering injuries. (a feature rarely used or encouraged to be used by front line sups)

A VHE assists to unload the trailers efficiently while preventing injuries associated with lifting and lowering.

The unloader is supposed to raise and lower the extendo to maintain this equipment in his power zone.

Using a load stand is one of the listed requirements to safely use this equipment for packages above shoulder height.

Sincerely,
I

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
dantheman52,

There are several mentions of the VHE on the UPS Safety Calendars each year. These calendars are posted on the Joint UPS/Teamster Safety Boards.

VHE stands for Variable Height Extendo.

They are commonly referred to as Extendos, UNL-16s and UNL-46s, sometimes just unloaders.

The original and main purpose of these is for lift/lower injury reduction in the unload area and not production as some say.

The ability to keep the work in the power zone by raising and lowering the VHE is the main safety feature to help prevent lifting/lowering injuries. (a feature rarely used or encouraged to be used by front line sups)

A VHE assists to unload the trailers efficiently while preventing injuries associated with lifting and lowering.

The unloader is supposed to raise and lower the extendo to maintain this equipment in his power zone.

Using a load stand is one of the listed requirements to safely use this equipment for packages above shoulder height.

Sincerely,
I
The best part is if you position the VHE just right you can collapse half a wall right onto the belt.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UpstateNYUPSer,

What does this statement have to do with the topical discussion?

The request for "On Topic" was made.

Trying to derail the thread from the discussion topic is not very nice.

In discussion threads that I start, in the future I would appreciate if you would focus on the topic and not the messenger.

I thank you for your consideration with this.

FYI You also misquoted me in your post.

Sincerely,
I

I hit "Reply" which copied your post word for word.

Nice try, thanks for playing.

blkmamba

dantheman52,

That is awesome that you didn't change anything during audits.

Were you ever trained on the proper use of the VHE?

I agree with you, simply reciting the 8 steps of lifting and lowering a package is absurd.

Demonstrating you know how to lift the UPS way by doing the 8 steps occasionally is fine, if it is followed up with enforcement of the 8 steps by the use of progressive discipline for those observed not using the 8 steps.

The 8 steps for lifting and lowering should not be used to blame an employee when they get a lifting/lowering injury.

It should be used as a standard of how lifting is expected to be done while working as UPS employee and a Teamster if you are union.

Individuals who refuse or are incapable of lifting according to these steps should be cared for by being coached to correction using whatever means necessary.

If they can't do it, for their own safety and the good of the company and the union, they should be relieved of their duties.

Sincerely,
I
You really don't know how UPS works do you? I don't even work there anymore and I realize it's all about production until someone gets hurt and then they care about safety for a few days.

blkmamba

blkmamba,

Who is this they you talk about?

Sincerely,
I
Management. I told my loader to get off a slide at the end of a shift because I would spray them throughout the shift so they remained slick. My center manager over ruled me and told him to keep doing what he was doing (completely against the methods). Guess what, my loader slipped and fell off the slide and broke his wrist. Then my center manager cared about safety.

Anthonysg0113

Management. I told my loader to get off a slide at the end of a shift because I would spray them throughout the shift so they remained slick. My center manager over ruled me and told him to keep doing what he was doing (completely against the methods). Guess what, my loader slipped and fell off the slide and broke his wrist. Then my center manager cared about safety.
He cared about safety when he got the loader blamed with an avoidable accident. Out center manager fell and broke his hip in the building. So much for establishing a firm footing.

fres431

Our load stands don't have a weight limit posted anywhere on them, therefor the bigger guys refuse to use them as a safety concern..and ups permits it no load stands for big guys

Integrity

Binge Poster
Our load stands don't have a weight limit posted anywhere on them, therefor the bigger guys refuse to use them as a safety concern..and ups permits it no load stands for big guys
fres431,

The safety committee should have had an easy time addressing this concern.

It took less than 20 seconds to leave here and check with the manufacturer specs.

Per the manufacturer specs, the load stands have a 500 lb capacity.

Sincerely,
I