For Unloaders Only "On Topic" Load Stand Safety Violations

fres431

fres431,

The safety committee should have had an easy time addressing this concern.

It took less than 20 seconds to leave here and check with the manufacturer specs.

Per the manufacturer specs, the load stands have a 500 lb capacity.

Sincerely,
I
That's great but how do I know that stand is on every stand I use? They don't ladders have weight limits on them these stands don't I and others refuse to use them unless it properly shows on each stand

Integrity

Binge Poster
That's great but how do I know that stand is on every stand I use? They don't ladders have weight limits on them these stands don't I and others refuse to use them unless it properly shows on each stand
fres431,

I did not say the stands were correctly labeled.

I assumed that the concern was the load rating and not the labeling.

I don't know of the labeling requirements for this type of step device.

Not confident that this will be able to be found in 20 secs.

Do you know the labeling requirements for this type of stand?

If the load rating is known and the labeling requirements are unknown then I don't think it is reasonable to refuse to use them for the reasons you stated.

Sincerely,
I

FilingBluesFL

When I was laid off I was put back in the unload.

The supervisor there didn't like me, so he demanded I use a load stand every time. (I'm 6'2" and can almost reach the top of the trailer).

So then I used the unload stand on each, and ever wall. I also made sure to move the extendo in to my power zone each and every time.

Then he decided to harass me with production standards and do observations on me because I was then going "too slow."

It's just another form of harassment.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Wayne05

dantheman52,

There are several mentions of the VHE on the UPS Safety Calendars each year. These calendars are posted on the Joint UPS/Teamster Safety Boards.

VHE stands for Variable Height Extendo.

They are commonly referred to as Extendos, UNL-16s and UNL-46s, sometimes just unloaders.

The original and main purpose of these is for lift/lower injury reduction in the unload area and not production as some say.

The ability to keep the work in the power zone by raising and lowering the VHE is the main safety feature to help prevent lifting/lowering injuries. (a feature rarely used or encouraged to be used by front line sups)

A VHE assists to unload the trailers efficiently while preventing injuries associated with lifting and lowering.

The unloader is supposed to raise and lower the extendo to maintain this equipment in his power zone.

Using a load stand is one of the listed requirements to safely use this equipment for packages above shoulder height.

Sincerely,
I

They also say that proper footwear is a requirement, but everyone at my hub wears sneakers. I don't know what they do when a 70+ lbs package lands on their feet...

T

Turdferguson

They also say that proper footwear is a requirement, but everyone at my hub wears sneakers. I don't know what they do when a 70+ lbs package lands on their feet...
Same thing people wearing proper foot wear do. Proper foot wear will not protect you from a over 70 landing on your foot

Cowboy Mac

Load stands and extendos are awesome. You get to take your time adjusting them AND you have much less chance of getting a back injury. Why would anyone not use a load stand?