For What Its Worth

T

trucker1946

Latest rumor on east coast is UPS wants this contract settled by Xmas 2007,rumor has it they will give all FT workers a 5k bonus and all PT workers a 2500 dollar bonus to sign.Also a (5)dollar raise in wages over (6) years,sounds good huh but be aware this is UPS,they want the workforce to give something back such as paying a part of medical,trust your judgement and not UPS:confused:1

Channahon

It's been a long time, since I heard the word "signing bonus". If this were the case, both UPS and the Teamsters would benefit.

The contract is a two way street. To state, trust your judgement and not UPS is not a fair statement, in my opinion.

UPS and the Teamsters are in the business world. If the Teamsters endorse the contract and a signing bonus is part of the contract, then both UPS and the Teamsters, know how the contract will impact UPS Union employees.

If the Teamsters support the contract and said signing bonus, what would be the option to Teamster employees, if not in agreement?

A strike? I understand a strike vote, but I'm under the impression, your Teamsters Leaders initiate that process.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Latest rumor on east coast is UPS wants this contract settled by Xmas 2007,rumor has it they will give all FT workers a 5k bonus and all PT workers a 2500 dollar bonus to sign.Also a (5)dollar raise in wages over (6) years,sounds good huh but be aware this is UPS,they want the workforce to give something back such as paying a part of medical,trust your judgement and not UPS:confused:1

This sounds much more reasonable than some of the other rumors flying around on this board. And I'd have to agree with Channa. If you think UPS is bad, see what Wal-Mart has done to its workers. Look at the retail/grocery industry overall. I've worked in retail for two different companies. I quit a retail job for an internship cross-country and when that internship ended, my folks suggested I go back to retail. I laughed and swore I wouldn't because of the way I was treated. I haven't said the same about UPS. -Rocky

T

trucker1946

I will try to explain my post further,my point is if you fully trust UPS and TEAMSTERS from cradle to grave your very naive.Think for yourself and make the right decisions for yourself and your family.:thumbup1:

1080Driver

I'd be kind of surprised if the company would agree to a 6 year contract.....I figure they'd look for a longer deal than the current contract.

upsdude

I'd be kind of surprised if the company would agree to a 6 year contract.....I figure they'd look for a longer deal than the current contract.

I could see the company wanting 6 years as a max. They may not come out and say that, but think about it. A lot can change in 6 years, not only for us but the company as well. I wouldn't want to be locked into a 7 or 8 year deal. I think the company would feel the same way.

Not sure, good question:thumbup1:

UPS Lifer

This sounds like a pretty good deal...but it is only a rumor.

Here is the rub... All parties involved do need to get a contract signed soon.
If our customers get scared and run, everyone loses.

This time around ....Our competition is postioned to take all our volume. FDX has been building the infrastructure since '97 and DHL will be there to get the rest! You can bet all the competition will be on the offensive by early 2008 putting fear into our accounts. The quicker there is a contract the better for everyone.

Those of you that were around in '97 think things changed dramatically after the strike. I can't even imagine what will happen if there is another one in 2008.

If there are flexibility clauses to allow for inflation and panels to make amendments (sort of like a "living" contract), than a contract that allows for more than 6 years could work and benefit everyone.

Another thing that could happen is the main contract is agreed to with additional time for regional and local addendums to be formulated with a no strike clause.

I am sure these things are being discussed as we speak.

On the union side....unless the Teamsters can get in there to unionize the competition there will always be a disadvantage....and if UPS goes under the biggest union will go down with it. NOBODY at UPS or Teamsters wants that to happen!!!

It just makes sense!

local804

Spoke with our BA in the building this morning and he says UPS wants the contract settled August 07 before the 100 year anniverary. He mentioned some minor things but didnt say jack about a 5k signing bonus. Lets wait and see....

area43

My solution. Give our customers a break. Pay freeze across the board for everyone. Monies saved goes toward shipping rate reductions or no yearly rate hike. 3 yr contract. If any hourly or salary employee s bitch, go take your **** and find something else that pays better.

DS

Fenderbender
My solution. Give our customers a break. Pay freeze across the board for everyone. Monies saved goes toward shipping rate reductions or no yearly rate hike. 3 yr contract. If any hourly or salary employee s bitch, go take your **** and find something else that pays better.
Ok Mike, thanks for dropping in to the cafe...get real
I`m in Canada...and we got a 6 year contract
30 cents every 6 months...its not enough...
I have an idea...eliminate supervisors...
make drivers run everything....that would save millions
Mike can still make $4million a year

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I will try to explain my post further,my point is if you fully trust UPS and TEAMSTERS from cradle to grave your very naive.Think for yourself and make the right decisions for yourself and your family.:thumbup1:

Folks, this is extremely wise advice. We have a lot of very naive people on this board. I don't trust either the company or the union. Like Trucker says, we should make the right decisions on what is best for ourselves and our families.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
5 dollars over 6 years isnt enough, look at the price of gas and if theres a signing bonus its to distract you while they give it to you in the shorts

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
If its a good contract, why would there be a signing bonus? This would be to buy the P/Ters votes. I think we had a bonus once that I can remember, but its been so long ago I can't recall the year or what the give backs were. This is definitely rumor time, false stuff gets planted all the time to bring pressure on the negotiating process. Still too early to tell, I personally will be interested in a new and better Pension Plan. But it will depend on the details.

Pip

$5000 per friend/T, $2500 per P/T. That adds up to an awful lot of zero's before that decimal point, no matter whose calculator you use. I guess I am kind of sceptical when your throwing those kind of numbers around.

area43

Ok Mike, thanks for dropping in to the cafe...get real
I`m in Canada...and we got a 6 year contract
30 cents every 6 months...its not enough...
I have an idea...eliminate supervisors...
make drivers run everything....that would save millions
Mike can still make $4million a year
lol, Posted post just to see all the positive reaction it would receive.(sarcasism). I m with you on the sups.

upsgrunt

$5000 per friend/T, $2500 per P/T. That adds up to an awful lot of zero's before that decimal point, no matter whose calculator you use. I guess I am kind of sceptical when your throwing those kind of numbers around.
You also have to remember that these "bonus'" would be taxed at the max amount, so what you would actually pocket is about 60% of the original amount. We used to get $1000 bonus years ago, ($500 p/t) and it came on December 1st; it was nice to get around Christmas, but the net amount was around $600 to $650. Just something to think about.

browniehound

All I know is I could really use that 5K:thumbup1:.

As far as health insurance I don't mind paying. Where do people get this notion that it should be free? You have a breakdown in you car and you pay a mechanic to fix it. Why should you pay nothing for a doctor's visit? Obviously you need insurance for severe illnesses and lengthy hospital stays, but I think regular doctor's visits should come out of your own pocket.

upsdude

My guess would be 5k over a 5 year period.

Like has been said, until you get it in the mail with a ballot, it's just talk.

rod

Retired 22 years
You also have to remember that these "bonus'" would be taxed at the max amount, so what you would actually pocket is about 60% of the original amount. We used to get $1000 bonus years ago, ($500 p/t) and it came on December 1st; it was nice to get around Christmas, but the net amount was around $600 to $650. Just something to think about.
I remember those $600 checks. In reality they sure looked small compared to the "$1000.00" bonus a person looked forward to. Has UPS gotten so rich that now they will up it to $5,000? I really find that hard to believe. I hate to burst anyones bubble but it think the average Joe Schmoe employee will be lucky to get a new contract that is hardly any better than the currant one. It's the way big business opperates now days. There are always $$$$$$ to give out big bonuses to upper management but times are tough when it comes to something for the peons. Look at NW Airlines. Top people got MILLION $$$$ bonuses but the workers had to take wage cuts to pull them through bankrupcy.