Forced Lunch break

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
This is under "UPS discussions " so there is a reasonable assumption he is talking about UPS jobs.

Why are you posting in UPS discussions when you don't work at UPS?
In the context of the discussion, the reasonable assumption is that he was talking about any job, anywhere.

Plus I have just as much of a right to post here as any retiree does, but have arguably more relevant input.

El Correcto

god is dead
So let’s make complete sense of this. If you take a half hour a day, it will generally result in a half hour of extra time and a half pay. On average, the national top rate with cola is over $39 an hour. Lets just base this on $39 an hour.
39 X 1.5 is $58.50
$58.50 X half hour is $29.25 per day
$29.25 X 5 days a week is $146.25
$146.25 X 52 weeks a year is $7605.00. (Who wouldn’t want $7605???)
$7605 X 25 years is $190125. ($380250 if you take a full hour over 25 years…..)

Btw if you invested this into a 401K you’d make an addition 300K.

Long story short, if I told you you’d have $190125 after 25 years of taking a half hour to relax and eat a sandwich, who the eff in their right mind would say no? STOP SKIPPING YOUR LUNCH!!!!!
DONT SKIP YOUR LUNCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I notice how you commie types never put the governments cut in there. Once Biden gets done your $300,000 401k contribution will get you a sandwich and a coke. At least half of that 190k is going straight to government.

:censored2: it, don’t take your lunch. You’re gonna die in a civil war 2 anyways.

35years

Gravy route
So let’s make complete sense of this. If you take a half hour a day, it will generally result in a half hour of extra time and a half pay. On average, the national top rate with cola is over $39 an hour. Lets just base this on $39 an hour.
39 X 1.5 is $58.50

Long story short, if I told you you’d have $190125 after 25 years of taking a half hour to relax and eat a sandwich, who the eff in their right mind would say no? STOP SKIPPING YOUR LUNCH!!!!!
Actually, your numbers way understate how much being paid 1/2 hour less in overtime is worth over a career.

1/2 hr OT=$29.75

If you did not skip your lunch (or work before punch in, or on break) , and instead invested that $29.75 (1/2 hour) in overtime into your 401k in stocks, you might be surprised...

Over your career you are handing UPS nearly 2 million dollars !

I assumed a conservative 8% return on investment in stocks (historically 9-10% long term). Also I assumed 3% annual raises (conservative compared to historical increases)
1/2 hr of overtime pay at a base rate of $39.67 per hour, 5 days a week.

Your total is $1,795,064 after 35 years.

You give them at least a half hour when you come in early to set up and look at you route, or set up on break, or leave break to the end to make your route "more efficient".

And Uncle Sam doesn't touch the 401k money until you withdraw it.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
39 X 1.5 is $58.50

Runner-gunners will never comprehend. Good job Shecky.

35years

Gravy route
I notice how you commie types never put the governments cut in there. Once Biden gets done your $300,000 401k contribution will get you a sandwich and a coke. At least half of that 190k is going straight to government.

* it, don’t take your lunch. You’re gonna die in a civil war 2 anyways.
Um...no

401k isn't touched by the government until you withdraw it. It reduces your taxes for now...until you take it out.

In real life it also reduces your income on financial aid for your kids also.

slingshot90

So, my two cents on this topic is this.. I work at a bonus center, which means anything that we work under their planned day for us is time and a half. So if you skip your lunch and put in for an hour, or a half hour, that goes towards your bonus, so as long as you know youll make bonus on your route, it is definitely not a hit to your wallet on skipping it. Some days I don't care much and just take my break because I want to. If I know I'm not going to make any, I absolutely take my 30 and 10 minute paid break.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
So, my two cents on this topic is this.. I work at a bonus center, which means anything that we work under their planned day for us is time and a half. So if you skip your lunch and put in for an hour, or a half hour, that goes towards your bonus, so as long as you know youll make bonus on your route, it is definitely not a hit to your wallet on skipping it. Some days I don't care much and just take my break because I want to. If I know I'm not going to make any, I absolutely take my 30 and 10 minute paid break.

Fyi, you are screwing your center numbers, and all other drivers in your center by playing that game. This is why my center can't qualify anyone anymore.

slingshot90

Fyi, you are screwing your center numbers, and all other drivers in your center by playing that game. This is why my center can't qualify anyone anymore.
In what way? Almost every driver recently has qualified no problem. We dont have a big problem with any of these "production numbers," our supervisor and management team is pretty cool. I don't know, its the system I walked in to, and it seems to be pretty favorable to drivers. Most make at least a half hour bonus everyday

35years

Gravy route
In what way? Almost every driver recently has qualified no problem. We dont have a big problem with any of these "production numbers," our supervisor and management team is pretty cool. I don't know, its the system I walked in to, and it seems to be pretty favorable to drivers. Most make at least a half hour bonus everyday
Let's see...
Come in 30 min before start to set up off the clock. Skip your unpaid break and set up during 20 min of paid break. Run all day and end up 30 minutes under. Heck of a deal only working 20 minutes for free right?

As to getting off earlier... My runner gunner fill in gets dispatched with 30 % more stops than me in the same route. So he runs and gets done in 9.5 and I get done in 9.

I don't fault the runners. Let them keep running so they can come help me at the end of the day.

Last edited:

Poop Head

Judge me.
Im pretty sure lunch and break time does not affect your over/under/bonus time. ?

35years

Gravy route
Example

Driver A:
-Comes in at start time.
-Has to run NDA off trace because of taking time to pre-trip and set up on the clock. 10 extra miles.
-Doesn't run, has to break off for early closing businesses and pickups due to not being ahead and taking full lunch.. 10 extra miles.

Driver B
-Comes in 1/2 hour early to set up truck off the clock. Gets to NDA on trace because of no time taken for sorting and by speeding.
-Sorts during 20 minute paid break, takes no unpaid. Doesn't have to break off for pickups or closing businesses because he is ahead.

Driver B
Dispatched with 130 stops. 130 miles. Works 8:30-9:00 unpaid 9:00-6:00 paid, working through paid break. Management cranks up the production allowance on the computer for the runner. In addition he has 20 less miles which combined means he is only 15 minutes under.

So driver A does 30% less stops, punches out at the same time, does 50 minutes less work. In a non-bonus center they get the same pay. In a bonus center driver B gets 15 more minutes of pay for 50 more minutes of work. But hey, he gets a pat on the back

And the rookies wonder why the old guys punch out before them

Last edited:

slingshot90

I hear what you're saying. I don't come in early, I come in around 8:50 for a 9-9:15 at times start time. It takes me 10 minutes to punch in and piss. I'm alright with a possible 15 minutes of non paid time while im at the building. I don't do any sorting. Some guys literally take everything out and are there for an hour and a half before start time. I find that ridiculous. Theres a few senior guys who do that, which I find comical, Im like thats not really a bonus then, since you're working for free. Dont come at me like Im doing something wrong. This is the system I came into. Sometimes I shoot for a solid bonus day, other days I dont. But if you work through your breaks, it adds to your bonus time. I get that that's kind of sinister, and whatever. I don't really care, the issue was working for free. Which in my center, if you skip your lunch and get bonus that compensates it, youre not working for free. AND (in my case) I want to get home to see my kids.