Forced Lunch break

35years

Gravy route
Runner-gunners will never comprehend. Good job Shecky.
Case in point...this thread.

"I run and skip my lunch so I can see my kids."

Skipping lunch one day earns you an extra hour of stops everyday!

Really not hard to understand but you have to actually resist running today to reap the reward of of a lowered dispatch everyday. But then, some NEVER learn.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Really not hard to understand but you have to actually resist running today to reap the reward of of a lowered dispatch everyday. But then, some NEVER learn.

To be fair, it took me four years to get them to bring my dispatch to a reasonable level. It took me catching them in fraud to boot.

Over70irregs

Do the same amount of stops at the same time as much as you can daily. No matter what the stop count. They track your dispatch to get a bead on you. File 9.5, 8 hour days, page in 8hour status daily.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
I have got to say it sucks as a cover driver when you actually like to take lunch. I don’t do it to make a point, I just want the break. The next day the bid guy asks you when you got back and you say 8:30 because you stopped and had lunch. Half of them look at you like you’re crazy.

babboo25

Banned
Lunch skippers
1.WILL get hurt.
2.Take work from new positions
3. Rob their families of long term $
4. Cause company class action
5. Long term road danger to everyone
6. Will increase medical expenses
7. Rob pension by not paying over time due to being injured.
8. Fund bonuses for management who care nothing about you.
9. Guilty of failure to follow instructions
Rob family of long term $???? Plz remember in some areas you are only required 1 minute of lunch and that’s all that comes out for that day, not full 30 or 50, 5 minutes a week is deducted for me, i have a life outside of UPS.

BrownStains

I don’t really care to take a long break in the middle of the day anyway I prefer multiple 10-15 minute breaks instead. Everytime I take 1 long break in the middle it’s difficult to get back moving again, makes me tired .

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

One peak, the runner-gunner doing a split on my route couldn't understand why my stop count was less than his every day. I said my truck stops at 2pm for my full lunch every day, no matter what, no sorting, nothing. He looked at me confused. We are our own worse enemy.

Cloud

I have got to say it sucks as a cover driver when you actually like to take lunch. I don’t do it to make a point, I just want the break. The next day the bid guy asks you when you got back and you say 8:30 because you stopped and had lunch. Half of them look at you like you’re crazy.
There's people that skip lunch waiting around literally for an hour when they get back. They take an hour regardless if you take it or not, so guess what-I park my truck under some shade and don't move for an hour.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I hear what you're saying. I don't come in early, I come in around 8:50 for a 9-9:15 at times start time. It takes me 10 minutes to punch in and piss. I'm alright with a possible 15 minutes of non paid time while im at the building. I don't do any sorting. Some guys literally take everything out and are there for an hour and a half before start time. I find that ridiculous. Theres a few senior guys who do that, which I find comical, Im like thats not really a bonus then, since you're working for free. Dont come at me like Im doing something wrong. This is the system I came into. Sometimes I shoot for a solid bonus day, other days I dont. But if you work through your breaks, it adds to your bonus time. I get that that's kind of sinister, and whatever. I don't really care, the issue was working for free. Which in my center, if you skip your lunch and get bonus that compensates it, youre not working for free. AND (in my case) I want to get home to see my kids.
It makes perfect sense- come in an hour early to get done an hour early. Less time at work. Lol.

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
A lot of jobs have a paid lunch break. The FT car washers in my building never punch out for their lunch breaks.
well then that's likely off contract because in addition to DOT rules there's also NLRA rules. but to my mind it's not even remotely comparable. an hour to myself in the nicest part of my area is actually restorative in a way that an hour to myself in the middle of the night in the industrial hellscape that the center is in the middle of absolutely IS NOT.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Let me preface this by saying this is not a discussion of whether you should or you shouldn't take lunch. I for one take my full hour each day. I am just asking your thoughts on being forced to take a lunch each day. The reason I ask is because I had a conversation with a driver today who skips his lunch everyday and he made some good points and after we were told that everyone must now take at least a 30 minute lunch at our PCM. His thoughts were that if he was being forced to take a lunch, then he should be compensated for his time because it wasn't no longer his choice. He said that if you are forced for 30 minutes everyday, that you will accumulate over 5 days of time through out a year. It was interesting to hear this prospective. What are your thoughts on the subject?
It's the law.....