Forced Satellite Route

Cragan61

Did the union say you can't come off your route? It seriously makes no sense to me. I'm guessing you do notrebid every couple years. So you should be able to come off your route and put it up for bid.

Can you go on 9.5? If so I would. That might be the push you need to make them let you come off the route.

I'd be in someone's ass at my local
We dont rebid. Would i just approach my supervisor and tell him i want my route rebid?

542thruNthru

We dont rebid. Would i just approach my supervisor and tell him i want my route rebid?

Here you have to stay on for 6 months. After that you should be allowed to come off it. I'd demand they put it up for bid. If not you'll file a grievance for not following seniority.

There is no reason why you should be forced to stay on that route when you have people below you that can do it.

Cragan61

Here you have to stay on for 6 months. After that you should be allowed to come off it. I'd demand they put it up for bid. If not you'll file a grievance for not following seniority.

There is no reason why you should be forced to stay on that route when you have people below you that can do it.
I will give that a shot. I cant thank you enough for the advice, very helpful.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm just burned out looking for answers like I said I like my job I would hate to lose it but it's hard when you're getting planned long days and have no money to show for it when you're spending it all and gas and on your vehicle repairs. There been days I've worked up to 14 hours that's not including the hour drive there in the hour drive back I just don't feel it's right and when I bring it up to my supervisor his answer is we will make sure you're not over 14 hours. The answer to almost every question I have is that's just the way it is
File 9.5. As for not making any money I don't know how....buy beaters that get 20+ mpg. Run them til the wheels fall off. Rinse and repeat. I drive 55 miles to work 1 way. It's not that bad.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Our low seniority satellite driver was forced onto his route after no one bid the route after 2 bid cycles. He has to drive 115 miles round trip every day, (M-friend), and doesn't get mileage from UPS due to it being 'his' route.

He is smart though and buys these pieces of crap that run for 6 months or a year and have a 4 cylinder in it to save on gas which to me is better that spending 30 or 40 grand on a new car and rack up over 2000 miles a month on it

I do the same. Wouldnt be any other afforable way. I drive about the same distance with the same workdays.

Three cars in three years?

It sometimes helps to read the whole thread, Dave.

Over 70

Buy a better vehicle...give me a break. Long days with OT and nothing to show for it because a 2 hour commute? I call BS. Any modern vehicle that's maintained and driven mostly highway can go 200-300k with relatively small maintenance.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I have been satellited for over 5 years. Love it and wouldn't go back to the building if they decided to break it, would retire first.
Just use your fuel card to fill up your personel vehicle!:rolleyes:

Brownslave688

Buy a better vehicle...give me a break. Long days with OT and nothing to show for it because a 2 hour commute? I call BS. Any modern vehicle that's maintained and driven mostly highway can go 200-300k with relatively small maintenance.
I was thinking the same thing but he isn't full scale yet.

I've had two trains of thought on this. I drive about 20-25k miles a year. To this point I've bought beaters and made it work. After this one I may buy a brand new diesel car and see if I can make it last the rest of my career.

Brownslave688

We had one for a few years 10:00 start time no thanks
It's worth it to only see management once a year.

If you live close you have lots of morning time to get stuff done.

They used to bid ours basically telling the guys. Now you know you won't get 40 hours a week if you bid this. Then SPC and every route must be planned over 8 BS came in.

Over 70

I was thinking the same thing but he isn't full scale yet.

I've had two trains if thought oh this. I drive about 20-25k miles a year. To this point I've bought beaters and made it work. After this one I may buy a brand new diesel car and see if I can make it last the rest of my career.

I drive a 14' Diesel cruze that I did a full emissions delete on. I fluid film it inside the body panels and underneath myself yearly and plan to get at least 15 years out of it in the heart of the rust belt.

I'm sure everywhere is different but 18.75/hr with plenty of OT is real good money where I live for what this job is...