Forced to work Saturday Xmas eve?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This type of money money money mentally leads to broken homes and kids that resent you

Have at the money, I have many more important things in my life than boxes
Maybe you should of picked another profession if that's how you feel. Betty homemaker is always hiring.

upsman68

This type of money money money mentally leads to broken homes and kids that resent you

Have at the money, I have many more important things in my life than boxes

Give me a break. My family knows I work a lot during peak season and they know I always work Christmas Eve Christmas Eve I'm usually off by 5:00. That's enough time to go to church and go home and eat tamales and enjoy a few adult beverages

Foamer Pyle

How many Xmas eves do we get to enjoy with our families? Not enough. Its only a job, enjoy your family, really thats all you've got. Their mismanagement isn't your doing.
I can't remember the last Christmas Eve I was able to enjoy with my family. My aunt always has it at her house, and after years of showing up after everyone finished eating dinner, I gave up, and just stayed home.

Faceplanted

Saturday is one of my two days off a week. You can work, and UPS can go pound sand.
It's all good if you guys want to work 7 Days. My center is saying it's mandatory. Huge difference.

You guys keep giving and giving and giving. Ups knew Christmas dec 25, they should have planned accordingly. There is no storms or any other reason I would feel would be acceptable for them to force us to come in. I will have 60 in 5 days. That's more than enough.

JL 0513

People talk like it's UPS just wanting to screw and overwork their employees. If you want to blame UPS, why not blame people for ordering so much stuff online? Companies ship via UPS, the volume is there, we have to deliver it at some point. UPS already hires 95,000 people to just work 4 weeks, an enormous undertaking. Centers can only expand to so many routes over the norm of the other 11 months. The space and resources are limited. The volume just bottlenecks if we don't work the next couple of Saturdays or doesn't get delivered if we don't go out Christmas eve.

I'd like to know the bright idea from someone that would make peak so nice and smooth with just a little overtime for everyone.

Inthegame

People talk like it's UPS just wanting to screw and overwork their employees. If you want to blame UPS, why not blame people for ordering so much stuff online? Companies ship via UPS, the volume is there, we have to deliver it at some point. UPS already hires 95,000 people to just work 4 weeks, an enormous undertaking. Centers can only expand to so many routes over the norm of the other 11 months. The space and resources are limited. The volume just bottlenecks if we don't work the next couple of Saturdays or doesn't get delivered if we don't go out Christmas eve.

I'd like to know the bright idea from someone that would make peak so nice and smooth with just a little overtime for everyone.
They could do what they did in 2014.

JL 0513

They could do what they did in 2014.

Isn't that when it started becoming the norm for us to work every Saturday during peak?

It was also said that UPS over hired that year. I'm sure there are centers that have spare capacity. Mine isn't one. 1/3 of our drivers can't park until the preload shift leaves. We have trucks being loaded everywhere, even away from the belts. We have them lined up in the aisles. Still maxing out hours.

35years

Gravy route
It was also said that UPS over hired that year.

Keep drinking the Kool-aid.
2013, I believe, was the worst peak for overworking drivers (until 2016)
The solution is to hire more (not less) permanent full time drivers and be fully staffed all year.
That way when peak comes you have experienced drivers who are not completely swamped.
It is the way the company was run 25 years ago.
And please spare me the "we could not compete" if we only worked drivers 8 1/2 to 9 1/2 hours non-peak.
We will not be competing at all if our service keeps being sacrificed and our moral destroyed by overloading drivers.
We have become a huge top-heavy bureaucracy.
Drivers more and more do not care about the company or our customers because they have to fight just to see their families.

I realize you younger drivers never experienced the way used to be run...common sense, Center Managers allowed to make decisions, do what works and gets the job done WITHOUT completely sacrificing your employees' family lives or customer service.

Atlanta had better wake up. Apparently 2013 was not enough of a wake-up call.

Last edited:

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
"Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part" figure it out trillion dollar company it's gonna be busy on Christmas every single year.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy

Are you the CEOs son? This could be the dumbest response I've read on this website. Yea dude you're right UPS totally cares about its employees...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's all good if you guys want to work 7 Days. My center is saying it's mandatory. Huge difference.

You guys keep giving and giving and giving. Ups knew Christmas dec 25, they should have planned accordingly. There is no storms or any other reason I would feel would be acceptable for them to force us to come in. I will have 60 in 5 days. That's more than enough.

They will only force if the volume is there. As you said, there are no major storms on the horizon and if Peak continues to be as smooth as it is now CE may be an air only day.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
What's the big deal. We work every Christmas Eve. At least we are getting time and a half and should be home early.
It's managed to get done before with less than five delivery days before Christmas. Now they can't figure it out with six (some even trying Christmas Day last year)? I don't like the precedence this is setting at all.