Forced?

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I have not read every post her but I would like to comment to the OP. If this has been said. I apologize.

Would you like it if you were forced to provide a service to someone for free?

That is exactly what right to work legislation does. Can you tell me of any other organization that is told by the government that they must perform the exact same services to every person wether they pay for that service or not?

Like it or not the Union takes money to operate. They do hundreds of things daily that you may never see first hand but are very important to the working class overall. Can you imagine what life would be like if there were no labor movement. If we just sat back and let the Koch Brothers of the world have free reign? There would be no middle class if they had their way. They would have all the money and we, the workers would have nothing.

Unions are at the forefront of the political fight for what is right for the workers. Be it in politics or your local shop floor. Yes they are there to represent you if your disciplined, but that to be honest is probably the smallest thing any union does.

Get involved at your local Union hall and take a good look at what your agents do on a daily basis. They are pretty much on the clock 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. And you don't want to pay them? That is basically what your saying when you say you don't want to pay dues!!

If you like your local representatives or not, you should at least respect the work they do on your behalf. I promise you, it is one of the most thankless jobs around. The only time they ever hear from members is when they have a complaint!!

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
To be fair, I have never questioned the level of representation that I have received. What I have said is that the union is not the end all, be all and that unions promote mediocrity.

Don't worry...you're still allowed to pick up the slack from us mediocre Teamsters. Hump it, Super Trucker!

upschuck

We receive raises because the union trades contract language for them. This way, they can claim they still have a hold on the company.
So you think that you could be working under a better contract if not for the union? If they can do what you say is done to experienced negotiators, what do you think they would do to you. Or are you special?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
There is an illusion here that the Joe Unions suffer from --- believing the union is necessary.

Walmart even offers their employees insurance. They have to pay a small amount for it, but you can bet it wasn't because some union thug forced them to offer it.
Walmart reports profits higher than us and leads the USA in revenue.

They are also voted the worst company to work for !!!!!!

UPS is a hard company to work for, but definitely not the worst.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
They are also voted the worst company to work for !!!!!!

UPS is a hard company to work for, but definitely not the worst.

Walmart also has some of the worst profit margins in the retail sector: http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...nd-target-have-the-worst-gross-profit-ma.aspx

When businesses race to the bottom in terms of real/total wages to employees and service, there might be some short term gains but they end up paying in the end with structural/quality problems like Walmart is experiencing. When you're paying someone $8.00/hr with a meager 401k match for retirement and Mickey Mouse health care benefits that are so awful HR is directed to assist people to apply for Medicaid and food stamps then you absolutely get what you pay for.

One of the primary reasons UPS is successful is because of its workforce and the workforce sticks around because its unionized and receives the benefits therein. Most drivers at UPS retire from UPS and experienced workers are priceless. Most PT'ers stick around for the benefits and so they can go driving.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
If unions fought so hard for these benefits, how come other companies that aren't unionized have similar, if not better benefits?
Google....Adobe....P&G.....Qualcomm

They have learned that a great work environment and happy employees will equal huge dividends with production, loyalty, and a energetic workforce.

If you read the history of UPS, Jim Casey invited the Teamsters in to achieve this same formula. Unfortunately, that has changed since the strike.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
So you think that you could be working under a better contract if not for the union? If they can do what you say is done to experienced negotiators, what do you think they would do to you. Or are you special?
I don't need a contract to keep my job. I keep my job because I do my job.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Any mention of government insurance? No.

tumblr_n0g19201461qf1116o1_400.gif

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Walmart also has some of the worst profit margins in the retail sector: http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...nd-target-have-the-worst-gross-profit-ma.aspx

When businesses race to the bottom in terms of real/total wages to employees and service, there might be some short term gains but they end up paying in the end with structural/quality problems like Walmart is experiencing. When you're paying someone $8.00/hr with a meager 401k match for retirement and Mickey Mouse health care benefits that are so awful HR is directed to assist people to apply for Medicaid and food stamps then you absolutely get what you pay for.

One of the primary reasons UPS is successful is because of its workforce and the workforce sticks around because its unionized and receives the benefits therein. Most drivers at UPS retire from UPS and experienced workers are priceless. Most PT'ers stick around for the benefits and so they can go driving.
This is absolutely false. FedEx ground contractors do the same job for half the pay. They are sticking around.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
This is absolutely false. FedEx ground contractors do the same job for half the pay. They are sticking around.

They stay at that job because they can't get into UPS or won't put the time in to work up their seniority.
FEDEX ground driving is logistically similar, but that's where the comparisons end.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Yes you can. A company is a company. Their goal is to make a profit.

Not true. If your statement were true, how come the non-union employees at McDonalds don't make $33 an hour? UPS, McD's. A company is a company, right? Please explain why they don't make the money we do.