Former 28 Year Vet Driver Gives Me a Heads Up - On Topic

Cementups

Box Monkey
My center is accident free since around Labor Day last year. Like #2 in our district right now.

scsc.gif

Once when I was young and dumb I got stuck way out in the country walked to a house and called the boss he sent a wrecker. First wrecker got stuck second wrecker winch broke third wrecker finally got us all out. Took about 6 hours I got back to bldg about 2200 bill was $1400 boss not happy
Sounds to me like the boss got off cheap. The only wreckers we call are the ones that pull 18 wheeler,s out of the ditch. They would not even come down a gravel road to pull one of our trucks out until Spring.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Is it just me or does it seem that accidents HAVE gone up since ORION?
I wonder if we are seeing the "24 hour news effect"? We now get messages alerting us to accidents over a huge geographic area. Years back, we would never hear such things. This amplifies the effect of more accidents.

The "24 hour news effect" is the same thing. For example, everyone thinks children are being snatched up left and right, but if you look at the numbers, this is not the case. It's just- we hear reports from all over now, which makes it seem that way.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I wonder if we are seeing the "24 hour news effect"? We now get messages alerting us to accidents over a huge geographic area. Years back, we would never hear such things. This amplifies the effect of more accidents.
You might have hit the nail on the head with this analogy. I've never heard the term before, but it sounds like something I studied while minoring in criminology coursework. Bader-Meinhoff [sp?], the frequency illusion. I didn't realize other centers were getting these crash messages on the board like we were. That being the case, I would be willing to bet you are right.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy

The "24 hour news effect" is the same thing. For example, everyone thinks children are being snatched up left and right, but if you look at the numbers, this is not the case. It's just- we hear reports from all over now, which makes it seem that way.
Sooooo is that the same thing where people think cops are hunting down innocent black
People? If you put it in the news enough people think it happens more frequently?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The day they charge me with an accident for getting stuck is the day I start walking off about 2 stops an hour everytime it shows.

In my center they would only charge you if it cost them money, whether it be for the tow or for any property damage that you may have caused.

Someone pulls you out? No harm, no foul.