Former Comcast and Verizon Attorneys Now Manage the FCC and Are About to Kill the Internet

Sportello

I appreciate that this alias of roadrunner2012 has posted this and also the whitehouse press release. The following cartoon draws attention to Obama's actions prior to issuing this statement.

View attachment 19767

Time will tell if Obama's statement of support for net neutrality is going to make any difference at this late point in the process. I hope it does.

Who would have the Republican's approved of as chairman? Cruz even had a hold on Wheeler over transparency in political ads.

Why are you so afraid of my factual posts that I have to be censored?

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Who would have the Republican's approved of as chairman? Cruz even had a hold on Wheeler over transparency in political ads.

Why are you so afraid of my factual posts that I have to be censored?
:::Yawn:::

You chose to post personally identifiable info that you have gathered by cyberstalking other members. You have done that to several members. Off the top of my head I can remember that you did this to dannyboy, tieguy, and over9five...

Reading your posts before they display to the public is not censoring you. That is protecting the identity of our members.

Why do you keep switching accounts?

Sportello

When other members personally identify themselves, how is that my fault? For pointing that out?

I keep switching accounts in hope of being able to respond in real time without censorship. You allow all sorts of vile comments from other members without repercussions, but yet I'm in a constant penalty box.

By the way, go see the movie I took this name from. You're welcome ;)

Doc

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Doesn't matter which party you support, they're both for sale.
When companies make campaign contributions, they expect something in return.

Senate Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, and the Internet
ju0dhmfzf46mik6f4hwx.png

House Subcommittee on Communications and Technology
e79kty1b6ngwxikf92tu.png

http://gizmodo.com/how-much-money-big-cable-gave-the-politicians-who-overs-1657002442

oldngray

nowhere special
Net neutrality has some unlikely new champions, including Ford, UPS and Visa
“A corporate alliance with subtle interests in this fight has been quietly pushing the Federal Communications Commission for strict broadband rules,” writes Bloomberg Businessweek. “In a series of meetings this year attended by representatives from Ford Motor, Visa, United Parcel Service, and Bank of America, participants urged FCC commissioners to reclassify broadband service under Title II, according to documents filed with the FCC.”
https://bgr.com/2014/11/14/fcc-net-neutrality-lobbying/

Why would UPS get involved?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why would UPS get involved?

Did you click on the link to try to find the answer to your question? If you had, this is what you would have found:

So why were these huge companies, which typically aren’t the biggest fans of government regulation, pushing the FCC to reclassify ISPs under Title II? According to documents filed with the commission, all these companies are concerned that American ISPs have “terminating access monopolies,” which the companies were all concerned would be exploited to the detriment of online commerce as a whole.

In other words, they were simply looking at their own interests, ours being e-commerce which, of course, we want to continue to expand, not contract.

oldngray

nowhere special
Did you click on the link to try to find the answer to your question? If you had, this is what you would have found:

So why were these huge companies, which typically aren’t the biggest fans of government regulation, pushing the FCC to reclassify ISPs under Title II? According to documents filed with the commission, all these companies are concerned that American ISPs have “terminating access monopolies,” which the companies were all concerned would be exploited to the detriment of online commerce as a whole.

In other words, they were simply looking at their own interests, ours being e-commerce which, of course, we want to continue to expand, not contract.

I read the article but it didn't make a lot of sense to me. Also, UPS is trying to keep their involvement under the radar.

oldngray

nowhere special
Obama's plan to regulate the internet includes taxing it and he admits his way would increase fees. It seems to me another redistribution of wealth scheme where some people will get a free ride paid for by others. "Free" internet paid for by others.

Sportello

Obama's plan to regulate the internet includes taxing it and he admits his way would increase fees. It seems to me another redistribution of wealth scheme where some people will get a free ride paid for by others. "Free" internet paid for by others.
This seems to be a popular RW talking point, not supported by actual facts. In any case, only the House has the power to tax.

Sportello

Administratively Obama can charge a fee which is still effectively a tax. Just like with Obamacare.
Wrong. The FCC has the power to levy and collect fees, and Congress grants that power. Look at your cable or phone bill now, you are being charges fees and taxes like crazy. This didn't just happen because Obama.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Ted Cruz Doubles Down On Misunderstanding The Internet & Net Neutrality, As Republican Engineers Call Him Out For Ignorance - Tech Dirt

Last week, we mentioned Senator Ted Cruz's nutty tweet comparing net neutrality to "Obamacare." It was widely mocked -- even by many Republicans -- as it showed Cruz's ignorance of the subject at hand. In fact, one report detailed a number of comments on Ted Cruz's Facebook page from Republican/conservative engineers disagreeing with Cruz and pointing out that he's uninformed about net neutrality.